Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 4th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Cat is too hot - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

Approx a month ago I had my cat Max's teeth cleaned along with 2 extractions for which he stayed at the vet's overnight. I brought him home with antibitiotics and a new diet for some calcium seen in his urine. When he sat on my lap he felt so hot that I took him back a few days later, they thought he needed an enema which they gave him but his temp was fine. I brought him home with a stool softener and a different antibiotic. Still, whenever he sat on my lap he feels as hot as a hot water bottle, I took him back two more times, each time his temp is normal, his mouth has healed well, he likes his new diet, is eating and eliminating well. And yet, I cannot bear to have him sit on my lap which he loves to do because he is sooo hot. His sister who also had her teeth cleaned and the overnight stay seems fine though she never sits on my lap so I don't have a good comparison. I'm so worried.
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:35 AM
~Cat Servent~

Is there any way you can check temp at home, make a chart and keep track to see if it is going up at certain times therefore not showing at the vet?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:25 AM

thanks for the suggestion, krdahmer. He is hot all the time, was hot when I took him in, not to the touch but underneath, his body heat. I'm sure I could never get him to hold still for a rectal thermometer. I could start him with a different vet but I'm rather out of money after all of this.
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Senior Contributor

If he had a fever, he would most likely be displaying other symptoms. Since you say he is otherwise in good health, I wouldn't worry too much.
The normal range for a cat is 100.5 to 102.5 F.
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If his temperature is in normal range, he is eating and going to the bathroom OK I would not worry about him, taking him to the vet when there is nothing apparently wrong may not be necessary. Perhaps his new diet has changed his metabolism slightly so he is giving off more heat??
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM
~Cat Servent~

ya they do run hotter than us, therefor always feel warm to us. And a digital one held under the armpit is how my vet does it... I'd hate to think of them trying to stick one up any of my cat's wazoos!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

I have a cat who runs hot. His normal temperature is 105. I was worried about this when I got him, but he's always been in good health and the vet says he just has a slightly higher than normal temp. It is terrible when he sits on my lap - he's huge so the heat gets overpowering. If I put a blanket down over my lap, it helps a lot.

He runs so hot, sometimes I think he has steam coming out of his ears!
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM

I think the CHANGE of his heat is what bothered me, coming as it did following these procedures. I thank you ALL for your comments and suggestions. I didn't know, you see, that they could take their temps from their armpits and I also had wondered whether all this diet change could have elevated his metabolism.

You're a great group, glad I found you. If I discover some cause of this I will be sure to post it here for others.
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:36 PM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks that's be great.... and we'd love to see a picture too!

Old October 18th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Administrator

I would note if this cat's abdomen was shaved, if not, then I would recommend that you take a rectal temperature on this cat two or three times a day for one week. Keep a log of the numbers and present them to your veterinarian if they lie outside of the 99.5 and 102 Fahrenheit range.

Fever is an important symptom. I know you think me strange for the shaving question, but cats run warmer then we do, and if no fur, then increased perception of body temperature is felt. It is also important to note if you have impaired circulation or some neurologic hyperesthesia in your own limbs. Sometimes we are the patient.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM

I agree that taking the temperature several times a day and keeping a log is a very wise approach. However I am not able to do a rectal temp on him by myself. So I purchased an ear thermometer. I realize that they are not as accurate but thought that at least this would record a RELATIVE temp log, in other words, it will show if his temp changes and by how much during a typical day. Unfortunately, even the ear thermometer is practically impossible to manage solo. I will keep trying though.

Also, I have seriously considered your point that the patient is me . But this was a sudden change immediately following his vet stay. In fact, all three of my cats 'seem' hotter now though Max is by far the most severe. Two of my cats had
  1. teeth cleaning
  2. anesthesia
  3. vaccine
  4. overnight stay
and one cat only had the vaccine.

I will attempt to take temps of all three of them for a week and at the end of that week I will probably have to be hospitalized myself.

Thanks, all!