Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 31st, 2009, 03:48 AM

Question Worried about my dogs "heaving" - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

I have a Mini Dachshund She is about 1 yr old. She often wakes up out of a sleep going through "heaves". These "heaves" subside after a couple of minutes. She usually sleeps next to us under a blanket. It this simply the dog overheating itself or could this be a bigger problem?
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:25 AM

It could be that your dog is feeling suffocated under the blanket. Or it can possibly be some inflammation in the trachea which needs to be seen by the vet. How long has this been going on?
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:33 AM
Senior Contributor

it could be something stuck in her throat, do you feed raw? when her throat relaxes at night it could bother her
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM

She has had this Issue ever since we got her as a puppy. And, sometimes she is not even under blanket just curled up next to us.
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Animal lover!

It could also be reverse sneezing.
Colby - 1 year old DMH
Rudy - 1 year old DSH
Domino and Daisy - 6 month old DSHs
Cooper - 3 year old Yorkie
Max - 2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
and countless other foster kitties along the way!

R.I.P. Baby, the best kitty ever
R.I.P. Anthony 'Three Tails' Gambino aka Tony - Betta
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator

A few possibilities come to mind: gastro-intestinal distress such as esophageal reflux, food allergies/intolerance, excessive gas production.

But, there could also be what is called "reverse sneeze" by older veterinarians (and I would never consider my youthful self older...), and this is a stimulation of the nerve bundle in the retropharyngeal or back area of the throat. The dog stars to snort and suck air at the same time, not dangerous but pretty dramatic. No treatment for this manifestation.

And possibly your little dog is becoming overheated and is simply panting off the excessive heat. Or your dachshund is waking herself from a dream. Or post-nasal drip....

Now what to do? If this isn't demonstrated in my office then I tell my clients that for the next week give the pet a light snack before bedtime: if no improvement, then a child's antihistamine at bedtime (usually Benadryl--in this case no more than 12mg) for a week. If no improvement, then it is time for a veterinary visit.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Talking

[QUOTE=petdr;774052]
And possibly your little dog is becoming overheated and is simply panting off the excessive heat. Or your dachshund is waking herself from a dream. Or post-nasal drip....

Thank you Dr. Van Lienden, I have been suspicious of this as it is not something which happens on a regular basis. If I notice it becoming more frequent I will certainly try your suggestions.
Old March 27th, 2013, 07:33 PM

A Similar Symptom

With regards to a heaving dog, we've got our 10yr old Jack Russel / Blue Heeler mix who we adopted from our local humane society when he was 7yrs old. He's been pretty much quite healthy except when he gets overheated and has seizures so we make sure he doesn't get too hot and ensure he's always got plenty of water at hand.

Cree our dog has developed some issues we're not sure if it needs vet attention or not so thought I'd ask here to see if it's something to be concerned about.

Cree developed a fairly large lump just in front of the top of his thigh/side that is solid/firm and unable to manipulate it. With this lump, he started coughing and dry heaving all the time. He's still really active and eats/drinks well. He just coughs/heaves constantly. Once in a while he'll vomit a bit of clear/foamy liquid I assume is stomach fluids but never contains food or anything else. He doesn't chew anything - no bones, chewies, socks, shoes, or toys so figure it can't possibly be a blockage. But what has me concerned is when I press on the lump, he goes into a coughing/heaving fit and will bring up that fluid I mentioned.

Should we be concerned? We love him very much and want to make sure we take him to the vet if it's something that needs attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petdr View Post
A few possibilities come to mind: gastro-intestinal distress such as esophageal reflux, food allergies/intolerance, excessive gas production.

But, there could also be what is called "reverse sneeze" by older veterinarians (and I would never consider my youthful self older...), and this is a stimulation of the nerve bundle in the retropharyngeal or back area of the throat. The dog stars to snort and suck air at the same time, not dangerous but pretty dramatic. No treatment for this manifestation.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Snuggles1968, I would very definitely take Cree in for a vet check. There are a lot of things it could be, some very serious. Especially given that pressing on it causes the heaving and vomiting, it's important that you make that appointment earlier, rather than later.

Best wishes for Cree! Please keep us posted on what the vet says!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."