Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:15 AM

Exclamation Sick 6 month old puppy

Hi there! I'm having a problem with my new puppy that I adopted a month ago. At first she was energetic and loved to play fetch and would run everywhere instead of walking. Now she seems bored and uninterested in everything (toys, food, treats). She'll only eat chicken, steak, or beef but not her dog food.

I've started to notice she sounded a little stuffy in her nose around 3 days ago but when we went outside it cleared up. Again tonight she sounded stuffy but when I took her for her walk/run it cleared up again.

As a college student I don't have the money to run her to the vet if I can help it . If it sounds like serious please let me know and I'll take her to the vet ASAP. Thanks!
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm, dogs will sometimes hold out for what would be called "the good stuff" like real chicken and steak but, coupled with lethargy and difficulty breathing a sudden disinterest in normally consumed foods is a Vet sign to me.

Are you running an air conditioner inside? Oh, wait, you are in Florida so maybe you think it's cold, , so are you running the heat? LOL Either can really dry the air and forced air of either can put moulds and bits of stuff into the air which might bother her. That might account for the difference in breathing inside but ok outside.

But again, coupled with lethargy is a warning sign to Vet.

Good luck.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Wink Update

Well I have some good news. I used a cotton swab to pick out all the gunk in her nose and she hasn't had a problem since. Also I had hot water mixed with uncooked carrots into her dry food so now she eats it all up.

She is running around chasing me again and wanting to run when we go out on walks now, but she still doesn't want to play fetch.

Thank you for all your help! (I do think turning the air conditioning off at night did help)
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

When was the last time you cleaned out the A/C air filter , it might need to cleaned out or buy a new filter.
Old March 13th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I always add a couple of spoons of canned food to kibble. Lots of dogs are not too excited about dry kibble.
Old March 15th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

If they can't smell well, they might not eat well????

Tags
bored, puppy, sick, stuffy nose, vet