Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM

help -- integrating kitten with dog and cat

I have a new rescued kitten ...12 weeks old and very affectionate. My other pets - rescued dog : 7yrs old( Golden Retriever/ Brittany spaniel mix) and rescued cat 13 yrs old -tabby. My dog is a bit hyper at first but friendly and socialized. My older cat is a loner just tolerating our dog ..and I think us too ...the cat and dog never hang around together...she hisses at him and leaves
My challenge is integrating the 3 ...

Has anyone ever integrated a kitten with a hyper dog and it worked? Also how about experience with a kitten and an older "not very social" cat.

Looking for your ideas.

Thanks
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I do have experience with intergrating dogs and cats of all sizes and ages. I am currently in the process of intergating 5 dogs and 4 cats that already were integrated but on different territory. This is extremely important as even a different home with the same animals already introduced, must be re-introduced based on difference of home. (hope that makes somesort of sense).

The best advice I can give is to separate your new addition from the rest. Let them become familiar with their smell from a safe location such a closed off room for the new one. This process may take longer or shorter, all depending on the animals involved. After about one week, I would introduce the most 'gentle' to the kitten. This should be supervised by more than one person and initially the introduction should be brief. As you can see progression and acceptance, you must continue to keep the new one safe and away from the others for the time being. Gradually introduce your adult cat. Again in short intervals.

There is no specific time on when it is considered safe. It really depends on the behaviours of all your animals.

Good luck.
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Doggie Wench

Congratulations on adopting your new kitty, winds . I do hope you're going to post some photos of your furbabies for us.

Here are several articles you may find helpful with introductions.

http://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/...a-new-home.pdf
http://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/...dog-intros.pdf
http://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/...roductions.pdf

Best of luck that things go as smoothly as possible .
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I'm doing the same with the kitten I rescued from the streets in Dec. She spent the first week or so seperated until she saw the vet. Now I have 3 old men kitties, well Nino's not so old he's only 6 but came from a not so good home and had problems getting along when I first brought him home. I also have a 4 yr old Husky/Shep girl.

So I didn't do anything really spectacular, she was allowed in the house during the day, and in the porch at night to give the boys a break from her kitteness. Also she went into heat and they didn't appreciate the extra attention. All in all, except for a bit of growling and hissing and smacking that's all that happened. Bayley (dog) is really good with her. Sometimes they sort of play..it's funny I think Bayley thinks she's a squeak toy and will poke her with her nose. Noella loves it, she rolls around on the floor, patting Bayley's nose. Of course I supervise, just in case Bayley gets a bit too enthusiastic.

It's taken about a month but everyone is fine together. There still is a bit of snarling but then the old men don't really appreciate being tackled! It's easy enough to distract her with her own toys so that everyone can have a break.
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the advice...Going to take my time on this and keep the group posted