Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM

poll: what the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair?

just going to poll the audience, and see what the best vacuum cleaner is the best for pet hair?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

If you can spend the money, a Dyson Animal.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
~Cat Servent~

I believe probably the Dyson when it comes to uprights.... although imagine there is nothing better than a central vac, as there are no bags or canisters in the house and therefore less dust and hair etc spewed back out.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Swift Tribe

i dont know BUT i can say what i would really like to change or keep about the one we have (which is an inexpensive Bissel)-

i love the HEPA filter. buy replacements and replace ever month or two.

its bagless which is a biggie for me. makes it nice and handy to dump the hair out for the deer (of which may or may not work!!) to keep them away from my gardens.

id like a longer extension. when (if) i buy a new vacuum, one criteria i *must* have is the ability to buy one more extender for the hand held part.

my next vacuum will also have an extension that has the spinney thing on the end of it. i have to LIFT my vacuum up the stairs to vacuum the hair off the carpeted stairs. yuck!

its kinda big. even for an upright.

uh.... thats it. i think im done whining about my vacuum. its actually really great for a $70 vacuum.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
-

I have heard good things about the Dyson as well. It will likely be my next vacuum.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
owned by goldens

Thumbs up Vacuum

I have a Dyson which I Love, Love it, it is a little pricey but it is worth every penny!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I would think Dyson.....they also have a canister vac as well as an upright.

It wounld also depend on flooring, do you lots of carpet, or mostly hardwood/laminate.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm happy with the cetral vac we have, except that ...

the hairs clog the top of the canister before it's even 1/4 full of dust

the nozzle has a too-sharp angle between the actual mouth piece and the hose so that I keep having to lift it and hand-feed the fur-balls into it

nothing works on the carpet - I had one of those power nozzles that turn a brush inside it to lift and pick up the hair? Well, sorry who-ever made that thing, when too much pet-hair gets in there, the thing stops swivelling and nothing gets picked up at all! We took it apart, opened it and cleaned it, put iot back together, it worked - for 5 minutes, before being all stuck full of hair again.

IMO, it's not so much the suction power, as the nozzle design; and I'm still looking for one that has a more open angle to it.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
(which is an inexpensive Bissel)-

its actually really great for a $70 vacuum.

-ashley
I have the same. Although after 3 years of abuse it's a real work out for me everytime I vacuum , one wheel is missing (it broke) it doesn't stay in the upright position anymore (it broke) and if I use the brush for the couch and stuff , I have to move the vacuum because when it stays at the same spot , it burns the carpet. Hum .... maybe I need a new one ?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Doggie Wench

We put in an expensive brand spanking new Electrolux central vac last Spring and there's nothing to rave about at all . Other than not having to lug around a heavy vacuum, I can't brag about it. The hose is about 20 feet long and awkward to hang up when done using it. And the sponge filter and canister..... . You need two filters so when one's all dirty and disgusting (doesn't even take a month with 3 dogs), you have to put in the other one in order to vacuum the dirty one . Then you have to wash it with warm soapy water and it takes forever to dry. The humongous canister doesn't have a bag so you have to flip it over into a large garbage bag....preferably outdoors so you're not choking on the dust.

Had I of known it would have been more trouble than it was worth, I would have spent the extra 100 bucks to repair my regular ancient Electrolux vacuum .
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

we just had a salesman come to our house trying to sell us a rainbow vaccum, with built in hepa filter. It uses water instead of a bag or canister (we have a central currently but its not too good at cat hair)

It is certaintly powerful and you can turn it on without the vaccum bit where it just acts as an air filiter....but it was almost 3000 dollars..yes three thousand..ummmm I think not.

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/main/

we rented it for a day ( it was in my my hazel helping mommy pics) and...to be honest it did help me sleep better I let it run in my room for an hour or so before I slept....but still 3,000!!!!!!!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have an old (~22 years old) 4.5 HP Eureka cannister--so old that much of it is still made of metal. It's irreplaceable, since they've since started making them of plastic and they don't last nearly as long. With the beater-bar brush and the wand, I can (and do, of necessity) easily clean up the worst hairball problems...even on carpets! (But you can't have it...it's hazel's )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Talking

Those Dysons do sound great (drool) but for now I'll keep on squeezing every day I can get out of my hand-me-down Filter Queen senior citizen machine. Our best move was replacing carpet with wood laminate flooring...all except for one small room. It wasn't hair removal that was the issue so much as a few years worth of 'sick-up' from 7 different indoor cats. Ick!! I loff my laminate!!
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I have the one step up Bissel, cost $125, love it, I use it each week and it collects a huge container each week, LOVE IT! And if it only last a few years, it's worth the $125. (I've had mine 3) Easy to clean, easy to find replacement filters - altho I wash mine every 2 months. It's light to carry and never clogs - even with xmas tree needels.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
-

You know you've become an adult and house owner when you drool while watching a Dyson commercial

I've seen them lately , omg
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

The Dyson Animal rocks. Not cheap by any means but worth it. This thing sucks up tons of pet hair and does not clog up. I suffered with my crumby one for 2 years and then I got my animal and now I do not mind vaccuming
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
We have an old (~22 years old) 4.5 HP Eureka cannister--so old that much of it is still made of metal. It's irreplaceable, since they've since started making them of plastic and they don't last nearly as long. With the beater-bar brush and the wand, I can (and do, of necessity) easily clean up the worst hairball problems...even on carpets! (But you can't have it...it's hazel's )

A 22 yr old Eureka....that must be some kind of record !!!! Maybe would even qualify for the Guinness Book of Records.
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM

When growing up we had a Filter queen (we breed Old English Sheep dogs). Since Vacuuming was my responsiblity I can say that it's the best vacuum I have ever used.

The other half and I just purchase a Bissel about a year ago and I hate it. It's always getting Clogged up... I HATE IT.

I wanted the Dyson but TOH didn't want to spend the money. So now I make him to the vacuuming.

On our hard work I use a broom type vacuum then I use a swiffer, then I use the wet swiffer. That seem to do the trick for about an hour. Darn dogs will all that hair.....

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Swift Tribe

we had that Bissel and it broke. we figured we would preemptively spend part of this 'economic stimulus package' on a nice vacuum. toyed around with the Dyson but consumer reports said a Kenmore was better. i tried out the Dyson and really liked it but hesitated to spend that kind of money. the Kenmore scored better and was $200-$300 less expensive.

i have to say... im so extremely happy we got the Kenmore. this thing is just amazing!! its a Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum with Inteli-Clean System -- Model #35922. it took over 4 hours to get my living room carpeting clean to where the sensor gave us the green. ive played aroudn with it (cause im a nerd like that) and a little sand, baking soda, gobs of pet hair... it was really interesting to see how well the attachments worked, the Inteli Clean System, the variable speeds, sand scatter, hair scatter.... im unquestionably impressed. my next project is to see how it picks stuff up before i shampoo the carpet.

i have to say, i can tell exactly where the previous owners kids took off their sandy shoes 6 years ago!!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

my 2 cents, have used the dyson many times and i hate it, as far as my 2 cents go way to expensive for what it as, i love my central vac, use it every day, brenda and the pins..
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I am on my 3rd vaccum in the last two weeks. The first one I got was the Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum. Too heavy and my old BOSS vaccumn cleaned up better. The knemore wouldn't even clean up the carpet powder that I sprinkle on the carpets!

The next one was an Eureka,EZ CLEAN BAGLESS. It was on sale for 90 bucks, but the pet hair clogged the top of the dust cup and the dust cup was hard to open up with my arthritic hands, so back to the store it went.

Yesterday I picked up another Kenmore canister with motorized power head. Funky green colour. It seemed to do a good job and wasn't too heavy to push around. I don't know if it's as good as a Dyson, but so far so good. I've only used it once so far though.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM

I needed a vacuum right away, we had just recently moved into a new house with a lot of carpet and it would've taken months for the Dyson to be ordered in so we took the next best thing which was a Bissel, I believe it's called the "revolution", it has dog right on the vaccum, and a "special attachment piece" for vacuumin furniture and removing hair.

http://canada.bissell.com/Products/p...t/product.aspx

I'm pretty pleased with it. I vacuum daily with two dogs and three cats, and it picks up hair that I can't see, and a lot of it. I don't use the canister as the hose is so short and it's hard to manage though. I have a cheap canister vacuum that I use for the furniture and hardwood floors.

For a medium-high priced, a step or two below the Dyson, I'm happy with it. But the Dyson will be my next vacuum.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Molly's mama

I am surprised at how many people here have a Dyson! They sure do seem to be the best of the best!
We have the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser, and are quite happy with it. Since it's an upright, I think its more geared towards carpets, but it has some great rubbery tools that are designed to pick up pet hair from couches etc. I love that feature. It also is bagless and has a HEPA filter.
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:58 AM

The top vacuums as rated by users are the Dyson DC25 Animal and Dyson DC28 Animal. Both of these are rated 4.6 of 5 stars by hundreds of users. (See Google)

The downside is that these vacuums cost around $500, which is way beyond what many of us are willing to pay for a vacuum.

A good lower cost option is the Eureka Optima Pet Lover and Bissell Pet Hair Eraser. They're rated about 4 stars by many users and cost about $80-$150 on Amazon.

Last edited by Ford; April 4th, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:56 PM

Vaccuum

I'm still leary about Dyson.
That said, we bought a $40 Dirt Devil with no attachments as a second vaccuum for quick cleanups.
Initially, it worked TEN times better than our old bagged Dirt Devil with Swivelguide. Seeing what it picked up in the clear bin was amazing. The pet hairs it picked up were astronomical.
However, the Filters are $10 each, and they last nowhere NEAR the 6 months they recommend. The suction quickly fades after 2 weeks of use, and we constantly 'bang' out the debris clogging the filter after every use. After two months, probably even could be at the end of One month, we have to change it. $60 to $120 a year in filters just isn't worth it. Don't be lured by cheap vacs. They might work well, but there's a reason they're cheap... the filters are a small fortune.
We too are looking now for a good vac, with stair attachments (preferably a motorized stair and upholstery brush tool) that doesn't cost as much as a dyson. Any suggestions?
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:51 PM
Doggie Wench

The Dyson canister is a great vacuum....if the freaking hose didn't stop splitting open . 5 Year warranty so you can get it replaced all the time. But why don't they just make a better quality hose for the price .

Guess we'll be in the market for another vacuum in 3 years when the warranty is up .
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:02 PM

Definitely Dyson for me.
Pippa - Rottweiler (09/2009)
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM

I have a Filter Queen. Expensive but worth every penny, esp as one with asthma/allergies. Sucks up pet hair like crazy.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:56 AM

Love my dyson animal.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
We have an old (~22 years old) 4.5 HP Eureka cannister--so old that much of it is still made of metal. It's irreplaceable, since they've since started making them of plastic and they don't last nearly as long. ... (But you can't have it...it's hazel's )
I can sooooooooooo relate to this. My panasonic was 19 and still going ...just not well enuf for the 3 beasties. when I decided to replace it. I SHOULD have spent the $$$ for a Dyson but...there's just something about forking out 800 bucks that sticks in my craw. I'd never used a bagless before and am still not sold on their efficacy. Instead I bought a Hoover Windtunnel when it was 1/2 price figuring for 100 $ it's worth a try. Meh... I'd take my old Panasonic in a heartbeat.

One of my guypals has the Dyson "ball" style and loves it fas it makes maneuvering around his apt. so much easier. Another friend owns a cleaning service and wouldn't buy anything BUT Dyson. He tells me that the canister models are clumsy and fairly useless though.