Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old January 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Cat people - Just curious....

I just had to give Tinka heck for climbing up the side of our less than year old TV to get to the birdcage.... again. I heard her climbing up the side with her little claws so I jumped from where I was dusting, said NO in a firm voice and picked her up and said no again.
What I am curious about is.... do any of your cats/kittens when you have to admonish them not look you in the eye? I have noticed this with Timmy too. If I raise my voice at all he won't look at me in the eye. Now Tinka. I think it's amusing. But they have to know they are getting heck for something they weren't supposed to be doing.
'Course when she did that I had to put her down quickly so I could start laughing. She was so comical when she wouldn't meet my eyes.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Puddles will always give me the evil stare back, she does this too with Sweet Pea and Jasper. Jasper, well, I can't get mad at him 'cause he is just a big, sweet goof, but if there is ruckus in the house he will avoid all eye contact, both with humans and his girls. I haven't really noticed with Sweet Pea though.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:50 PM

Foose is too stuck up to care about ANYTHING that anyone has to say... He has become my Kitty...
Mako on the other hand will now and then get the Stern NO when he claws something he isnt supposed to... But I cant ever be serious enough because him and all his tuxedo fuzz trots over and starts to rub and purr like crazy. I've given up. I'm a push over.

NOW Patrón wont look me in the eyes if he KNOWS he's done something wrong and I havent seen it yet. Like the LIMB he brought in through the doggie doors at my mothers house last week. I hadnt SEEN the wood and leaves ALL over the house, but he met me at the front door when I got home, eyes on the floor and like slinking away from me.

We live to serve our animals....
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:51 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I think it's funny. Here I am trying to give this little thing heck because she's doing something she's not supposed to be doing. Well, two things actually. Climbing the TV and going after the birds. And I am having trouble trying to give her a talking to because she is staring at anything above my eyes that she can. She just won't meet my eyes.
This is the same litte fart who just about an hour ago took a flying leap from the floor to my chest to get on my shoulder. She left a really deep claw mark on my chest. Little Good thing she's so darned cute!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I think it's funny. Here I am trying to give this little thing heck because she's doing something she's not supposed to be doing. Well, two things actually. Climbing the TV and going after the birds. And I am having trouble trying to give her a talking to because she is staring at anything above my eyes that she can. She just won't meet my eyes.
This is the same litte fart who just about an hour ago took a flying leap from the floor to my chest to get on my shoulder. She left a really deep claw mark on my chest. Little Good thing she's so darned cute!
, whoops sorry meant to send you a sympathy .

If TT gets out of hand you know where you can send him

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
, whoops sorry meant to send you a sympathy .

If TT gets out of hand you know where you can send him
Thanks! I can feel the sympathy!!
TT is the next best thing to perfect. My little boy is not going anywhere. I love his antics with his ear plugs and his cuddles too much to even consider parting with him. But thanks for the offer! I will keep it in mind.

ABM - That story was too funny!!!

Old January 21st, 2009, 03:21 PM

yeah... its funny NOW....

Mom didnt think it was so cute....

I laughed. A lot.
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Some of my cats will look at me and some won't when I say something like "no." Smitty, my white cat, pretty much 100% of the time will look right at me, stop what he is doing and walk directly to me.

Mochie and Ginkgo usually will stop what they are doing. Teiya completly ignores me. Kinsey is such a nervous cat I'd never think to say anything negative to her.

Overally I rarely have to say much to them. For 5 cats they really don't do much that is destructive. The carpet in my office...well, I gave up on that a long time ago and it's theirs to do with what they want.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:58 PM
150% PRO S/N

I guess it's because they are kittens still. Mylee is the only one over a year. The rest of my house ones are 9 months and younger. I very seldom say anything either. Just when they decide that the birdies look like lunch and the TV is a good thing to use to get close to them. That is when they aren't launching themselves right at the cage.
I agree. Most of the time it's hard to tell there is 5 cats in the house. And two dogs. I wouldn't have it any other way!! Love all of their personalities no matter what.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Mine will look at me if I'm yelling, but if I pick them up or if I go to where they are and hold them to tell them NO, they'll avoid eye contact.

The one time I yelled at Maks and picked him up, he didn't look at me, and he spent a good day and a half giving me the cold shoulder.

Vlad, oy Vlad. He's the one I actually need to correct the most. When he's chasing after Oksana and fighting with her, I'll yell at him and as soon as he sees me walking towards him he runs away.

When I actually catch him attacking her close enough to me where I get a hold of him, I'll take hold of him and he'll move his head in the opposite direction of me. It's quite funny. I've even tried to move his face to look at me and he'll just sort of look at me like "yeah, okay whatever."
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I've even tried to move his face to look at me and he'll just sort of look at me like "yeah, okay whatever."
Yep, I've done that too. The eyes go up and past my head. Nope, not looking at you Mom. You raised your voice!! I very seldom yell at them. Just a few firm no's if they need it!

Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Yep, I've done that too. The eyes go up and past my head. Nope, not looking at you Mom. You raised your voice!! I very seldom yell at them. Just a few firm no's if they need it!
LOL, omg that's it. Sometimes I'll have to look around to see what he's looking at because it's not me!

Yeah, and some people think they are dumb and don't comprehend what's going on. Riiiiiight.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
150% PRO S/N

Cats are more intelligent than given credit for. Just look at that "Is my cat trying to kill me" thread.
I just wish they would figure out the birds aren't magically going to fly out of the cage so they can be lunch!

Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Try havig two who do whatever in the living room at night...I come out to see what is going on...they both look at me (what???), then they both look at the ceiling until I leave!!!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM

Stixx will stare me down, or she try's. Every now and then she jumps up on the kitchen counter which she know's is a no no. I tell her down which she understands except when it's the kitchen counter. She stares at me with the "yay what ya gonna do...." as soon as I stand up and and take one step she bolts...must be a game in her mind as we have never and would never smack her or any other animal. Forest on the other hand stares at the floor with his ears plastered flat against his head, fluttering his little kitty eyelashes trying to look all sheepish. He's good at it as you end up feeling bad about whatever it was he wasn't supose to be doing.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
Try havig two who do whatever in the living room at night...I come out to see what is going on...they both look at me (what???), then they both look at the ceiling until I leave!!!
Yep, that's what I am talking about. Not meeting your eye! I have 5 in the house right now. They are permanent. Have had up to 12. Hubby wasn't happy then. But mostly they are angels. It's only occasionally the comes out!