Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:37 AM

Pee Pads

Anyone use these? How well do they work? Is there a difference in brands that you buy? How absorbant are they? Will cats also use them if you have them out for dogs?
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:19 PM

I used them a lot for my pup when he was having trouble getting outside. I found the more expensive brands were far better quality and far more absorbent and odor free than the cheaper brands. I also have 4 cats who never used the pee pads while I was using them for my pup.

I looked at the Petsmart website and it appears they no longer carry the pee pads I liked best called "Simple Solution" but they do carry "Top Paw" which I considered to be the second best for absorption and odor control. The others were not as good as far as I was concerned. I was also dealing with an adult dog, not a puppy and he peed relatively large volumes.

I think you will need to try them out to decide what works best for you. Good luck!
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:10 PM

I used them with my puppy and never had any problems from the cats. I agree with dbg, you get what you pay for and the ones that may seem expensive are a little better than the cheapies.

However, as I say that, we use pee pads from Walmart in our guinea pig cage and those little bugger soak up a lot! They aren't the cheapest ones they have, and I can't remember the brand, but I find they work well.
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I only used them for my old dog when she was having problems holding for any length of time, never used them for housetraining. I really like anything Nature's Miracle, their kitty litter is fantastic so I would think their pee pads are pretty good too.
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:08 PM

I used them when training my puppy, but he has always been really good for going outside. Now, even though he is all grown, I still use them, because he is very small (5 lbs) so he cannot hold it for too long and if we are not around he knows that is an option, also when he gets up at night he uses them (he never wakes us up unless he has to do more than just pee )
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:20 PM

I use them with my senior dog and they mostly work really well with her during the day when she is confined to one area (exception being sometimes she wanders mid-poop or digs at the pads). She is no longer able to hold it while I'm at work so this is the next best option.

My favorites are adult dog specific ones they sell at Wal-mart that the name escapes me. They are larger and I don't have to put down a bunch of them like the small ones. Extra absorbent too. For puppy pads, I think Hartz also sells an anti-bacterial brand as well that I've used, that cuts down on smells.

Drawbacks are that sometimes my dog somehow manages to pee UNDER them, and the stuff like I said above, with digging etc. Plus, if your garbage collection is like mine, you're going to have a bunch of stinky pee pads hanging out in the bin for a while (especially problematic in summer).

I sometimes alternate with what I see as the cloth diaper equivalent - a couple of old dog-designated bath towels that get a boiling hot wash in antibacterial soap.
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I went to a medical supply store and bought those large blue and pink mattress protectors. They are about $16 each and I just wash them. A lot cheaper in the long run. I have 8, so when 6 need to be washed, I still have 2. I used to use the paper ones, but for the diggers these do not shred.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else