Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old September 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM

Cold/room temp. lunch ideas needed.

I go to school five days a week and all day each day at that. With no access to a microwave, unless I bust up into a lab (lol), I need some recipes that don't need to be reheated.

I'm open to anything. Vegan, meaty, salads, whatever ya'll have. :-P

Simply put, I'm tried of being hungry every day for hours at a time. Lunchables and bananas ain't cutting it.
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Tortilllas, blue cheese, sliced roast beef, fresh chopped rosemary, and any other tidbits you like.

Roll out tortilla, spread blue cheese lightly, place roast beef and other ingredients, ROLL.

Holds for about five hours well, and is YUM. (if you dont like blue cheese, then another soft mushy cheese will do) (i dont suggest ricotta though..it dosent hold very long)
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I like cream cheese and with all the flavours you can get, roast beef is really good with herb and garlic cream cheese.
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Senior Contributor

buy a good old wide mouth thermos for soups, stews, chili etc. pita pockets can also be stuffed with what ever your imagination comes up with. oh and what a lot of people don't realize or remember is that BEFORE you put your heated food into the thermos you boil some water and fill the thermos,empty when your hot food is ready to put in, keeps it really hot for hours!
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I always used to send my son with a thermos lunch. He loved it. If you're taking meat or something you are worried about spoiling, freeze 2/3 of a bottle of water or a juice box or something and then put it in with your food, it will keep your food cool enough that it doesn't spoil and it will be defrosted in time for lunch. I love wraps for lunch. Any type will do.
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Hummus and pita
Mini Quiches ( I don't eat eggs, but I once saw mini quiches in mini-cupcake silicone pans.. they popped out perfectly )
Pita Wraps with deli meats
Fried Rice (either bought or made, it's not too expensive to buy and ration it off for a few days)
Vegi Cucumber ( Recipe : http://www.canadianfamily.ca/recipes/mini-veggie-sushi/ )

My Sparky is 4 years old (Dec 7th 2007), pure bred Pomeranian from a bad past. Got him when he was too young -found out later-. He has a laundry list of medical problems, but we're working to get him in tip-top shape!

He truly is my fur baby.