Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 27th, 2015, 01:27 AM

Angry Family member neglects dog

Hello there, I'm seeking advice on what to do. My aunt and uncle have a dog she's about 13 years old now but since my aunt and uncle have been together (7-8 years) they have not once taken her to the vet... it was my aunts dog so who knows how long before that. Often I find her nails are growing into her foot pads, she's been limping for a long time now, she's becoming increasingly aggressive, her teeth have been rotting out of her mouth for years now. A few of them are completely pointing straight out of her mouth, her breath is horrid and she chokes a lot. They seem to think the dog is fine but I cannot stand to see this dog suffer like this. It isn't fair and I can't sit by and do nothing anymore. They can afford all this frivolous stuff but when it comes to vet care "they can't afford it". I am thinking about calling the SPCA, although it will be hard because they are my family but I think they should have to face consequences for being so selfish. Any advice?
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Sorry your having to go through this as it is very hard to see. In a family situation it is also more difficult. The other difficult part of the equation is the dogs health at 13.

Is there anyway you could try to clip the nails. It might be hard to do if they are over grown and you would have to work away at it for some time so that you dont make the dog bleed as the quick in the nail keeps growing...so it would mean sort of cutting or shaving little bits at a time.

Have you tried suttle hints about the teeth or health, sadly sometimes it doesnt matter.

I dont think the SPCA can do too much as long as they have food, shelter and water I dont know if they could force a vet visit.

I wonder if you were to take the dog to the vet and see what the overall condition is and suggest that you might be willing to help them out, maybe it would make them uncomfortable enough.

Also if you were to take the dog to the vet and the vet agreed that they are not taking care of it maybe it would make a difference. I dont know if a vet can force someone to surrender a pet.

The other thing is are you able to take on a dog yourself. Could you ask them to surrender the dog to you....

Sad situation for the poor dog and you....

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 27th, 2015, 02:49 PM

I don't even think I could touch her paws to clip them. I tried to pet her on Christmas and she bit me. My mom used to do it for them when they asked her to but they don't ask anymore. There is no way I could take the dog to a vet, my aunt is home all day and I don't drive. But even if I could drive, there's no way my aunt (or uncle) would let me take her. So I doubt they would surrender her to me either. We've tried talking about her health, they don't care. My mother told my uncle it looked like she was in pain and he got angry and didn't talk to her for the rest of the night (nice Christmas dinner...). I'm beginning not to care what they think of me. They are horrible, selfish people. Not just to animals but to each other, and other family members.
Old December 27th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

You could tell your aunt and uncle you want to their dog to a park and bring the dog to a vet instead to get it checked out and nails cuts. When you bring the dog back home tell your aunt and uncle Merry Christmas !
I have your dog nails cuts !
Old December 27th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I hear you its so hard. I am wondering if you could find a vet clinic that makes house calls. Otherwise I think the only thing you could do is keep at them until they are tired of you....could you arrange for someone to drive you. Tell them you want to take her out for a walk and take her in...maybe there is a clinic that is close...I am trying to come up with something other than a conversation about your concerns to their vet. Maybe look up obligations to pets in your area...

I am so sorry you are gong through this.....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:43 PM

This is so very sad

There is no winning here for this poor old pup as your aunt and uncle are not receptive to advice and have obviously become immune to the pain and suffering their pup is in.

If you report to the SPCA, and they do indeed take the pup, he will likely not be a candidate for adoption due to the aggression you mentioned.

I would continue to appeal to your aunt and uncle but try to be more specific with regards to how much pain their pup is in. Compare pups rotting teeth to a rotting tooth your aunt might have had and how much better she felt after her dental visit? Perhaps offer to help them clip pups toenails and talk about how much an ingrown toenail hurts every step he takes? Talk about how old pup is and how he should have an easy life as an elderly pup and not suffer pain each and every day?

These folks are in total denial and need someone to LEAD them into better behaviour towards their pup. Hopefully that someone will be you.

Tags
advice, dogs, neglect, senior dog, spca