Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM

Best air purifier for dog hair

Hi again - not sure how many question I can post in my first month here

We are now finding Lucy hair clinging to items at kitchen counter level and I am considering buying an air purifier. At Canadian Tire they have one on sale right now... but not specifically for pet hair.

I don't mind the hair on the floor, mats, even cover on beds, but am starting to get hair in food preparation.

Any suggestions as to which brand etc? I am hoping to get something under $150. Cdn. (and can I strap it to her back? - just kidding)

Thanks, J.
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

One of the best air purifiers on the market is made by Oreck. Pricey but worth it.
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM
-

You could go to Google and type the brand that you're interested in and add consumer reviews and you will see what others have to say about it.
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthedoghouse View Post
We are now finding Lucy hair clinging to items at kitchen counter level and I am considering buying an air purifier....I don't mind the hair on the floor, mats, even cover on beds, but am starting to get hair in food preparation.
I don't think you're going to find an air purifier that will help eliminate pet fur. Dust and dander, yes, but not the actual fur. A vacuum would help immensely though as will daily brushing. Fur normally makes it to the counter tops and furniture when there's too much on the floor (especially near heating/air conditioning vents). When I notice hairs on kitchen surfaces, I'll always find lots stuck to my sleeves as I've just finished playing/petting the dogs so I'm the one who got it there .

We have several Oreck air purifiers but that's for dander as family members have allergies. If any hair particles get sucked into it, they get zapped and you can see the sparks which usually sends the dogs panicking out of the room.
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I don't think you're going to find an air purifier that will help eliminate pet fur. Dust and dander, yes, but not the actual fur. A vacuum would help immensely though as will daily brushing. Fur normally makes it to the counter tops and furniture when there's too much on the floor (especially near heating/air conditioning vents). When I notice hairs on kitchen surfaces, I'll always find lots stuck to my sleeves as I've just finished playing/petting the dogs so I'm the one who got it there .

We have several Oreck air purifiers but that's for dander as family members have allergies. If any hair particles get sucked into it, they get zapped and you can see the sparks which usually sends the dogs panicking out of the room.
Yes of course..it will not eliminate the hair but does for the dander and dust. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old March 14th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

with my daycare I have to do weekly brushing (dog and chinchilla, not kids *L*) and I vacume every morning, if your dog is shedding in excess maybe you could switch to a better quality food to help slow down shedding? I switched my dog to all natural food and her shedding slowed down.
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post

No opinion on air purifiers as I've never used one, but I do have a dog that sheds.
A LOT.
Thus, I second ,third and fourth the advice of regular brushing - I don't brush daily, but I do brush/comb to the skin weekly. Especially if you have a double-coated dog you will notice a serious improvement in both the amount of fur on the floors, etc, and in the health and general good disposition of your pup. Helps greatly with your bonding as well. .
Also, double-coated dogs are prone to seasonal shedding/coat blow-out which, luckily, shouldn't last more than a week or two.
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Oh gosh thanks for all the great information.
I did look at some web sites and if price is no problem, there seem to be some good ones - although one site did say there are a few cheaper ones that do the job. I saw one by Sharp but couldn't find it on line on Sears.ca.
Yes, I think I might be the culprit by always having my arms around my dog and then transferring them to the counter (don't tell Lucy)!
I half-heartedly brush her every 2nd day and last night we gave her a bath and it seems worse, if that's possible. She does seem to have double fur over parts of her body.
We have vinyl flooring here, all on one floor, and a 7 x 9 rug in living room. I mop with dry mop every day but hair etc. seem to "hide" in strange places :-)
I can put up with it most of the time but when it starts geting in the food I get a bit concerned - don't want to give my neighbour a muffin with hair in :-)
So, am going to make sure I use my sticky roll on my clothing before I cook and maybe brush her every day etc.
Apparently a vacuum cleaner is the answer (better than I have) but then I'd have to find someone to use it for me!!!
Thanks everyone
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthedoghouse View Post
Oh gosh thanks for all the great information.
I did look at some web sites and if price is no problem, there seem to be some good ones - although one site did say there are a few cheaper ones that do the job. I saw one by Sharp but couldn't find it on line on Sears.ca.
Yes, I think I might be the culprit by always having my arms around my dog and then transferring them to the counter (don't tell Lucy)!
I half-heartedly brush her every 2nd day and last night we gave her a bath and it seems worse, if that's possible. She does seem to have double fur over parts of her body.

[....]
What I would suggest is to give her a really, really thorough brushing ASAP.

From what you're saying, I'm almost sure Lucy is a double coated bred or cross and she's blowing coat right now. The bath was actually a good ideea - it helped losening the dead undercoat so that's why it seems worse now - it will get better soon but you need to help her "shed" the winter coat. Line combing/brushing her would really help.
Here are some links about line combing:

http://www.samoyed.cc/linecombing.html
http://video.about.com/dogs/How-to-C...Dog-s-Hair.htm

And a good vacuum, of course
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:33 PM

..thanks

oh thanks, will check thout those web sites
she has so many breeds in her we don't even know them all
she has what my daughter calls a "diaper" of thick white hair on her butt
and thick wads of woolly hair behind her front legs
..... she doesn't care though (see attached photo today, getting ready for her nap after ripping apart a cracker carton)
we did have a mini-trim done in January but too cold here for her
summer cut yet
J.
Attached Images

Old March 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

ahhhh I see she "rolled up the rim" did she win?
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's very pretty Itdh! She does look double-coated--does she have some golden in her? When you brush her, save the hair and put it out for the birds to use in their nests. We do that every spring and it goes like hotcakes!

One thing I do when the dogs are blowing their coats is use a smock (like an artist's smock) when I'm cooking, and only when I'm cooking. It doesn't get hairy if I don't wear it when I'm around the dogs, and it covers the hair on my clothes that gets deposited when I brush the dogs. It doesn't keep 100% of the hair out of my food, but for the few hairs that we find, I have a trivet that says: "The chef is not responsible for dog hair."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Hi again - just watched the videos - I have been doing it all wrong!
OK, so now I need a larger brush and a comb which I will get this week and try the line brushing
It always helps to see those videos.....
I just cannot bring myself to use a brush with those pins instead of bristles (?) but I bought a cat brush which has the pins but each piece of wire has a platic tip on the end so I don't scratch her
....thanks again
J.
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I was happy to find the video too; this is a perfect example of "show, don't tell"

Sorry, the tipped brush is not good for a dog with long hair. It will "catch" and pull... and the plastic tip will create static, which pulls as well.

Could you return the brush and see if you can find one that does not have tips at all? I know those are not easy to find at regular stores such as Petsmart, but if you have a Global Pet foods or such, they might sell it. Other than that - try on-line for grooming tools. I have to admit - I rarely use the pin brush - I find the comb much easier and thorough although is definitely way more time consuming.

Let us know how you're managing ... and post pics of the young lady after her grooming session, so we can admire your handiwork.
Old August 28th, 2018, 03:51 AM

Actually I find air purifier really be helpful for my pet issues. You can find a ton of best air purifier for pets in google search.
I agree with Mirela, not all dogs can be "brushed" easily, and I think using a comb is a better option.
Old August 9th, 2019, 03:30 PM

Hi all, I am new to this site. This is a great thread and it certainly helped me. I couldn't get the video to work just now, but I will try again later. My girlfriend has 3 cats, and they seem to leave fur everywhere, my yorkie Missy doesn't seem to shed to much but I want her as happy as can be.

In any case My girlfriend Leigh swears by her air purifier. I don't think anything can get rid of the fur, but since she has put it in the house is much nicer to visit.

anyone have a link to the video that works?

Last edited by hazelrunpack; August 9th, 2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: No promotional links, pls
Old October 28th, 2019, 04:17 AM

Hello! Watch the video, but of course it’s very interesting.
Corgi lives with me and it molts constantly!

We have a comb to "brush" her regularly, bought a vacuum cleaner with reinforced filters and now we are thinking about an air purifier. I want to know what models of it you have or recommend?

It seems all together should save us a little from the wool and every centimeter in our house

Last edited by hazelrunpack; October 28th, 2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: No promotional links, pls