Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Cat Urine

Hello everyone,

I haven't been for for quite sometime now. I've been trying to find a solution for one of my cats. He's been urinating in 2 different spots lately. Before we used to have carpet and decided to get it changed to wood in order to be able to clean up the urine much better. The cat is still urinating on the floor and we clean it pretty much everyday. The smell is getting to be very unbearable and we don't know what to do. We definitely don't want to give the cat away due to this problem. I'm sure there are many experts here on this issue so I do look forward to any type of help I can get from you guys. Thanks in advance and I'll talk to you about this soon.

Laoshu
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Catlover2

Do you have a large dog crate? (not a travel kennel) If not, can you borrow one? Confine him to a crate with water and food, and blanket to sleep on, with litter box at one end of the crate. This way you can experiment with different types of litter to see if it's the litter or it's the box itself. Hopefully you'll find something he likes. You might try taking him outside on a harness twice a day to "go potty" if he still won't use a box, or even try garden soil in a box.

Unfortunately there are some cats that won't use a box consistently. I had one male once that would pee in the box all the time, but would always poo beside the box , and it didn't matter if I had other empty boxes nearby or in different locations. This habit of your boy is longstanding and it may be just the way he is. I can't be more encouraging. Maybe others have some good suggestions.
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Actually, what we've done is locked him in the bathroom for the whole day whenever he pees on the floor. Of course we would provide water and food along with the litter box. He would cry for hours also. We've noticed that when we did this, he wouldn't pee on the floor for weeks. We then decided to just stop doing that and now he pees almost everyday on the floor. He pees a lot in the litter box, but likes to pee on the floor. The smell is getting be unbearable as well. This is a brand new wood floor and it may be hard to get that smell out.

I also wanted to know what people here use around the house as far as odor. Thanks for your reply and I look forward to more suggestions.

Best

Laoshu
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Could you try putting two litter boxes in the spots where he urinates?

Someone here will help you out with a formula for getting rid of the urine smell, but it escapes me right now cuz I am senile.

As for any other odor, once you get the urine smell gone, there should be no other odors...cats don't usually smell unless there is an isue like this

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

You can clean the area that he pees with Natures Miracle,available in most pet-stores,or make your own,like I have been doing lately.
I got the recipe from here and it works.
1 cup water,1/4 cup vinegar.1/4 cup rubbing-alcohol,mix it and put it in a spray-bottle.

As to why he's doing this I don't know,are you sure he's peeing,not spraying??
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
-

First off , did you take your cat to the vet ? It could be a UTI / crystals etc ...
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
You can clean the area that he pees with Natures Miracle,available in most pet-stores,or make your own,like I have been doing lately.
1 cup water,1/4 cup vinegar.1/4 cup rubbing-alcohol,mix it and put it in a spray-bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
First off , did you take your cat to the vet ? It could be a UTI / crystals etc ...
Thank you chico and Frenchy! Please take him to the vet to find out if there is a medical reason for him to be doing this. It is not always because he doesn't like his litter or box. How old is he? When was he last at the vet? What does he eat? All of this come into play.

chico - LP's recipe works well, huh? I've been using it for my catuary sprayers too.
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post

He's nuttered. I don't believe it's spray because usually there are puddles of pee and sometimes small puddles.
Old July 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoshu505000 View Post
He's nuttered. I don't believe it's spray because usually there are puddles of pee and sometimes small puddles.
Being neutered does not mean a cat will stop or will not spray. Also spraying does sometimes amount to small puddles.
Old July 18th, 2009, 02:27 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Thank you chico and Frenchy! Please take him to the vet to find out if there is a medical reason for him to be doing this. It is not always because he doesn't like his litter or box. How old is he? When was he last at the vet? What does he eat? All of this come into play.
As Frenchy and 14+kitties asked .....have you taken your cat to the vet to be checked for a urinary tract infection or urine crystals?
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry,I just assumed the cat had been checked for UTI,of course that has to be the very first step

My cats are all neutered and they still spray,luckily now,only when we are outside with them,but I did have a huge problem with spraying inside.

14+,yes it really works,we saved a lot of $$$$ with that

Tags
cat urine training cats