Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM

He is afraid to go outside now. He wants to, but steps outside the door, sniffs and then comes back in. He just walks around the house crying, because he wants out. It is rainy today also, so maybe he will try tomorrow. I sure he will overcome the fear eventually. If not, he will get used to being an inside cat which will be great!
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope u keep him an indoor only cat! He will live longer if he is.

Mine are all indoor cats. they have cat trees they can climb and shelves I put along the ceiling in their room so they can be up high when they want. Also bird feeders in front of the patio door for them to watch.

I'm also planning on building them an enclosure on the patio. That way they will be outside but safe.

They are my kids, so I have made a mommy decision. Safer in the house no matter how much they want to roam freely outside. They won't die if they don't go out, but they might if they do. Sometimes we have to do the best for our kids even if they don't like it.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:58 PM

I have always kept my cats inside because of the danger outside, but when a cat is born Ferrel, it is hard to break them. He hasn't ventured outside yet since this episode, so I hoping that he may just want to be inside now. But we will have to get more play things for him, because he is bored. Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts. It's great to know that someone cares.
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by isomycat View Post
I have always kept my cats inside because of the danger outside, but when a cat is born Ferrel, it is hard to break them. He hasn't ventured outside yet since this episode, so I hoping that he may just want to be inside now. But we will have to get more play things for him, because he is bored. Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts. It's great to know that someone cares.

Sorry, but that's a crock. Mine were ALL born feral. I have five in the house. None on them show any inclination to go outside. They want outside because you let them outside. Plain and simple. Got nothing to do with being born feral.
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Senior Contributor

my sis adopted two ferrals 6 yrs ago, one wants nothing to do with outside, the other....oy ve......he's chewed up her window sill(pulled off and bloodied his nails), ate through her screen (pet proof), chewed the bottom corner of her wooden door (vet visit for that episode), she took both in (different litters) at 5 and 6 weeks of age. Neutured at 3 months. The other sat by the torn screen just looking out, made no attempt to escape.
Maybe you could get him use to a leash and harness? That way you could take him outside when ever you're out there sitting?
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:14 AM

14+, there really are some cats that want back outside. Your ferals mostly live in the catuary and have an outside run. That might be enough to keep them satisfied. My Dusker cat objected to being turned into an indoor cat. She was fine all winter, but come summer she put holes in every single screen window in her efforts to get back outside. She didn't go outside once all winter.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:26 AM

My daughter has two cats that were ferrals. When they bug to go out, she puts them out on a harness and lead. That way everybodys safe and happy.
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
14+, there really are some cats that want back outside. Your ferals mostly live in the catuary and have an outside run. That might be enough to keep them satisfied. My Dusker cat objected to being turned into an indoor cat. She was fine all winter, but come summer she put holes in every single screen window in her efforts to get back outside. She didn't go outside once all winter.
In all due respect... it was the comment that was made that I bolded. "when a cat is born Ferrel, it is hard to break them." I am not saying that there are cats who want outside and wouldn't try anything to get out. What I was saying was just because they are born feral does not mean they will necessarily do anything to get outside. My house cats, not my catty cats, are the ones I was referring to as being born "feral". They are all five of them very content to stay indoors. No cat run, no being outside in the catuary. They are indoors 24/7 and that is the way they are happy. Ancient Girl's Czarina was an outdoor cat. She doesn't even try to get out now.

Yes, if cats are allowed outside then they will want out. Or if they were outside when they were younger and then you tried changing them into indoor only. It isn't necessarily how they are born that makes them want to be outside.
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Kitty pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by isomycat View Post
He is afraid to go outside now. He wants to, but steps outside the door, sniffs and then comes back in. He just walks around the house crying, because he wants out. It is rainy today also, so maybe he will try tomorrow. I sure he will overcome the fear eventually. If not, he will get used to being an inside cat which will be great!
lol nothing like some good old fear to keep em in
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;800613]In all due respect... it was the comment that was made that I bolded. "when a cat is born Ferrel, it is hard to break them." I am not saying that there are cats who want outside and wouldn't try anything to get out. What I was saying was just because they are born feral does not mean they will necessarily do anything to get outside.

14+ - I didn't say that it is IMPOSSIBLE to break them from going outside, I just said that it was hard to break them. We have tried to keep the ferrel cats that we have inside only to find parts of our house not livable anymore. If a cat is born Ferrel, they are usually more comfortable with being outside. If you have the time and can work with them to be happier inside, that is a good thing. These cats that we have that were born Ferrel were wild when we took them into the vet and had them spayed/neutered. We really had no intention to keep them since they were wild to begin with. We did leave food outside so that they wouldn't starve. We didn't want anything bad to happen to them, but had no intention to befriend them. They are the ones that decided that we were trustworthy and decided that they liked being in the house with us once in a while. Last winter, they were in the house 24/7, but when it is nice out, they torment us until we let them out.

Just keep an open mind about what it being said. I didn't say that it was impossible, just that it was harder, and it definately depends on the cats temperament.
Old July 14th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Kitty pimp

i agree it is hard i have known cats that jst were miserable inside all the time what you can do is train them to a harness and take them out for 20 minutes or so thats sometimes helps