Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 30th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Camping in tents with dogs

We are about to embark on such an experience after finally finding some places we can go in Quebec with the dogs.
We would appreciate any suggestions / warnings / etc. (not rules, we know them) to make it a good experience. We have never spent the night in a tent with these guys, and we're wondering what that'll be like.
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
The demons' servant

First thing that popped into my head was that maybe you should make a "test run" maybe go pitch the tent in the backyard and stick teh dogs in and sleep there for a night or two. At least that way you'd be able to figure out how they're going to react or at least have an idea.

The other thing that popped into my head was "wow someone's a glutton for punishment" hehe

Of course I've never really liked sleeping in tents since I'm particularly skinny and have issues sleeping on rocks (oh does that hurt) or other hard surfaces.

Megan
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

my bf & I camped w/ our dog for the first time last year. it went great. and we have a SMALL 2 man tent... and a medium sized dog. He was about 6mths old when we went, so he was only about 30-something lbs. We didn't do any "test runs". He was used to sleeping between us in our bed, so we treated the tent the same way. got in, invited him in w/ us, and told him to lay down. didn't make a huge deal of it, just said "it's bedtime, go to sleep" and that was that. The only thing that we had to be carefull of was not letting him paw the tent door... or he'd put a claw right through it.

if you have a BIG tent, you could bring a dog bed. How many dogs are you taking? how big are they?
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM

We have actually had them in the tent in the backyard, for five mins, I wouldn't sleep out there though, it wouldn't be peaceful, what with the traffic and all.
I have 2 medium size dogs, one large-med, other small-med. We have a 2 man tent, that's already crowded with all our junk. I think this'll be the trial run to see if they can behave, as it's an old tent. If they're good, I'll get a bigger one and try it again.
Ya, I'm a little worried about them playing in there and making holes, perhaps I'll file their nails a bit.
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM

We never did a test run either the first time, and our med/large dog (only one at the time) slept in the bedroom with us normally, sometimes on the bed. I was worried if he'd be okay with it, but what happened was after a full day of fun outdoor activity, more walks than usual, lots of people to see and play with, the dog was so worn out from all the fun (of course he didn't have his regular naps, he normally had throughout the day), when we opened the tent door, he walked right in, layed on a mat and passed out for the night. Since then he's learned to nap during the day even if there is lots of outdoor fun to do. Last summer we got a 6 month old pup -- same size, sleeps with us normally too, but is much more active than the old guy and I was worried she'd want to get up and try to get out, but she did the same thing, cuddled in with us just like at home and it goes really well. Maybe take a kennel along just in case, but I think bed time is bed time to dogs, and as long as they're with you, they'll be fine. It's so fun and our dogs love it so much, this is why I'm still searching fore more places to go with them.

Good luck.
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:20 PM

I'd cover the floor with thick dog blankets and also bring a LOT of dog towels. Maybe it's just my dogs, but they got nervous in the tent and started throwing up.
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesister
We have a 2 man tent, that's already crowded with all our junk.
I camp like a "girly-girl", I don't actually HIKE to a camp spot, so since we drive to the camp site, I just left all our gear in the car instead of the tent, so there was enough room for us & the dog.

there are so many shapes & sizes of tents available now. I have a friend who got a big one with a dog-kennel attached to it. sorta a mini dog tent off the main tent. If you plan to buy a new one, I'm sure you can find one to suit you and your dogs.

I found our dog was dead-tired too, and just wanted to sleep when it was bedtime. with all the fresh air & activities with camping, it does tire them out.
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM

If you're serious about camping, you should rent tents from MEC to test them out (if you have a nearby MEC)...

I tried this one: Tarn 3 and loved it. The shape of it allows you to put your junk at one end (narrow end) and then at the other end, it's wide enough for 2 people and 2 doggies.
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I have camped with Capone since he was a puppy. He is pretty good too except we keep him on a lead and if he can't reach us he jumps and barks for us. Other then that hes pretty good. As for the tent he likes it only if we are in it with him and doesnt try to paw to get out unless one of us is outside and he needs to go.

He does try to get into the tent when its raining and paws at it but not long enough or hard enough to cause damage. He is so tired by the time we get into bed that he is the first one at the tent door and sometimes tries to tell us to go to bed by standing near it.
As long as your dog is with you and your sleeping he will take heed and do the same.
hes been going since he was a puppy and understand the whole process so you definantly want to make a good experience for them.

I would suggest having at least a small tarp and blankets you can lay by the fire (not too close) so if its wet or just cold the dog will have a spot that is clean and dry to lay down in and get warm. Or bring one of those bag chairs as they seem to be favourite among dogs. I know because everytime I get up capone steals my spot now he gets his own.

I find capone gets cold easy and needs to be babied or he sits there with a pathetic look on his face shivering so i also suggest a good doggy jacket or sweater for the evenings.
Old June 30th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

One of the things I found useful was have a screened kitchen tent It provided extra room for rainy day and also was a nice haven when pesky biting insects were out, an x-pen(s) is also nice to have so you don't have to have the dog(s) leashed to you at all times, most campgrounds do require the dogs be leashed on no longer than a 4' leash, and must be leashed or confined at all times, not loose even on the campsite, if you take along a cell phone, make sure to have a dog tag made up with the cell phone number should the dog get loose someone who finds the dog would be able to reach you.

Take a needle and thread or duct tape with you for repairing the tent or tent screens, many dogs will not even note the screen and attempt to run through it I have had this done a few times especially when the dog spots a small furry.

If you decide to rent a tent,learn what the cost of replacement/repair will be should the dogs damage it, you may find it much cheaper to buy a tent than pay replacement cost you might be even able to pick up something inexpensive in a garage sale.
Old June 30th, 2006, 07:08 PM

camping in tents with dogs

Hi little sister,
I too would love to go camping with my dogs this summer. But I'm having difficulty finding such campgrounds in Quebec and would love to know the places that you have found. I have a 6yr old boston and a 3month old golden mix and of course let me not forget our 3 human kids. Our tenth is 18x10feet, quite large, so we won't have any trouble (I hope) camping and hiking with the gang! Our puppy is crated at night and our boston sleeps where ever she likes. We're going for a trial run tomorrow at my brother's house in the country this weekend, hopefully everybody will have a good time.
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

We used to go camping when our kids were small. We borrowed equipment to see if we would like it, and after the third time decided that we should buy our own. Of course we never bought any and never went again. I'd like to try it again and would love to take Cooper with us, but we have such a bear problem around here that I don't think I'd be able to sleep.
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Bear 1: Who's bringing the hors-d'oeuvres?
Bear 2: Billy.
Bear 1: Billy, whatcha bringing?
Billy the bear: Peeps in Blankets.

hee hee
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Thanks to all for replies & suggestions. Great ideas.

Fosterpat, in Quebec none of the "parks" allow dogs, however, the "reserves fauniques" allow dogs with the usual leash rules. It seems that there are some specific campsites in each reserve that allow dogs, and others that don't. Actually I think there are even a couple national parks that allow, one being somewhere up in Gaspe...

It's not the easiest province to take dogs around in is it, they're pretty tough here.

Here's the site for the list of reserve camping spots:
http://www.sepaq.com/En/Pages/RESTXT...et-Animaux.cfm
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM

I have a book called "Repertoire des Lieux de Marche au Quebec" that I got at Costco last year and it's basically all the walking trails in Qc and the ones that allow dogs have a little dog icon on them... If you tell me where you're going, I can look in my book and see if there's a campground in the area that might allow doggies... (it's a 450 page book, so I need to narrow it down a bit).
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I camp with all three of the dogs, ( well its Puppys first year this year)
Meiko is a bit on the freaky side when he hears things, but is yet to tear through the tent, he more or less sits on me to protect me from the ?????? Kita gurl on the other hand is an angel.
Definately bring lots of thick doggy blankets, the rocky rough ground is uncomfortable for them too and the dog will end up on your air mattress. ( then holes come, and you yourself are uncomfortable for the rest of the trip) Other than that, good luck and hope all goes well.
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM

This has several camping sites in Ontario that allow dogs.Less than 2 metre leashes.It has been years since I have gone to Ivy Lea.We had 4 dogs there with our group.Good luck!