Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ear infections and anaplasmosis--just a rant...

...just had to get this out!

aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Okay, thanks...much better now...

Sigh. I just cleaned the ears of 6 dogs and discovered 5 ear infections (9 if you include the bilateral ones as 2 apiece...). My theory is that despite washing hands and the tips of the dispensers with soap and water (and now with alcohol!) between dogs, I'm passing the yeast from dog to dog! Maybe I just need to buy each dog its own separate ear-cleaning solutions!

And we just got Lil Belle's results back. She had a blood test last week since she seemed a little lethargic. The Lyme's C6 test came back good--for a dog with chronic Lyme's her count was very good. But today the anaplasmosis results came back. She's got a flaming relapse! *^#%@$*

So Monday I'll be bringing a bunch of dogs in to the vet when I go to the dentist. Ember will have his ears swabbed so that we can be certain that it's yeast plaguing the Pack's poor ears... Cass and Macie will be checked to make sure they're not still suffering from anaplasmosis. (Cass, Macie and Lil Belle all tested positive about the same time Cole did. After weeks of antibiotics, all of them showed normal blood work, so the meds were discontinued. But if Lil Belle is having a relapse, Cass and Macie might be at risk, too.)

*sigh*

Okay...back to your regularly scheduled programming...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Lil Belle also had a bloody stool this morning...probably hookworms again.

okay...I promise...I'm done!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Boss-lady!

hazel. That's quite a lot of vet issues all at once.

And congrats on your lucky seven! that Brier won't be adding to the vet bills anytime soon!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Remembering Lukka

Oh my goodness Hazel. Everything all at once and with every dog, no wonder you need to yell
I hope this all gets under control as soon as possible
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Oh my goodness Hazel. Everything all at once and with every dog, no wonder you need to yell
I hope this all gets under control as soon as possible
We hope so, too. Cole is still trying to kick the anaplasma, too--his vet bills for it are over $1000 already--he was diagnosed this spring. We're starting to buy medicines in bulk! Hey, doc--can we get a case of metronidazole, please? Oh, and one of those big buckets of Panacur?

You might think hazel is kidding, but the look on her face says it all:

Old June 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, Skryker. Actually it's sort of ironic. We had Brier undergo all these health tests before we decided to adopt and it turns out he's so much healthier than the rest of the Pack right now! Good to know--I just hope we can keep him that way! sigh

Old June 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Oh, that's terrible. Must be so frustrating! Anaplasmosis seems to be spreading fairly quickly, 2 years ago I had never even heard of it, and now my vet is testing all dogs for it. I hope the other dogs don't have a relapse! Maybe it's time for the dogs to get a job and work for a living since they are causing so much expense!
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableCollie View Post
Oh, that's terrible. Must be so frustrating! Anaplasmosis seems to be spreading fairly quickly, 2 years ago I had never even heard of it, and now my vet is testing all dogs for it. I hope the other dogs don't have a relapse! Maybe it's time for the dogs to get a job and work for a living since they are causing so much expense!
You know, at one point they wrote some books about their adventures, but hazel couldn't find a publisher willing to take the project on. So it's not for lack of trying that they aren't making money.

Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie is still trying to figure out a way to make money by chasing off Dangerous Butterflies. No luck with that project either.

Old June 15th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe you can get them signs saying Will entertain for Vet Money.
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
Maybe you can get them signs saying Will entertain for Vet Money.
what a picture that would make!

Old June 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh Hazel, that is horrible. So frustrating for all this to happen at the same time.

Besides yelling, I think I would be tearing the hair out of my head

Good Luck at the vet, and Good Luck at the dentist
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, HO. I'm feeling much more positive this morning...at least till it's time to clean ears again! pftuiii Just one of those things...you know how things go in cycles?

And at least hubby's anaplasmosis is covered by insurance.

The dentist should be a snap--just getting the permanent crown. All the drilling is done! (whew!)

Old June 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM
-

I didn't see this thread yesterday , sorry Hazel :sad: Wow , 5 ears infections? Bloody stool, bad test results , no wonder you feel I'm so sorry :sad:
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I didn't see this thread yesterday , sorry Hazel :sad: Wow , 5 ears infections? Bloody stool, bad test results , no wonder you feel I'm so sorry
Thanks, Frenchy. But I felt much better after I'd had my little hissy fit... It's not like we don't periodically go through this--hazel just has a place to complain about it now!

You poor people!!!

Old June 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

My goodness! Dealing with all that, you definitely need a good rant once in a while! Give the pack big hugs from Petey and Billy and little Miss Belle in Texas who is probably sleeping and dreaming right about now!
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll do that, Smiley. The Pack thanks you and sends slobbers right back!

They're really looking forward to seeing pics of lil Ms Belle, y'know ....especially Lil Belle! She thinks you have really good taste in names!

Old June 16th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Wow, that's going to be a lot to deal with all at once. I guess the separate ear solutions for each dog is the way to go. A pricey way to go though. Are setters prone to ear infections? Must be those nice long feathery ears of theirs.
So are hookworms contagious too? I hope you don't end up having to treat the whole pack for that too.

I hope you get them all cleared up soon.

Cindy
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Wow, that's going to be a lot to deal with all at once. I guess the separate ear solutions for each dog is the way to go. A pricey way to go though. Are setters prone to ear infections? Must be those nice long feathery ears of theirs.
So are hookworms contagious too? I hope you don't end up having to treat the whole pack for that too.

I hope you get them all cleared up soon.

Cindy
hookworms aren't contagious dog-to-dog, but if one has them, they all do because they're in the soil. We'll just worm them all and have done with it for a month or two until our next bout with them

Setters, being flop-eared dogs, do tend to be a little prone to ear infections. We don't usually have this many at one time, though We switched meds yesterday and today they all seem better so maybe we're on the right track now I'm going through lots of alcohol, though, wiping down the tips of the bottles and my fingers between dogs!

Thanks, Cindy!