Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old January 1st, 2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Happy New Year Tiggy2:

It has been my experience that whenever I decided to do something different, it takes up to maybe 24 hours or more for there to be any kind of change. This also applies to if they have had surgery of some kind too - which your Tig had. So you have to give time for recovery from that stress.

Did you change the kind of food you are giving to kitty? and what are you feeding him now? You're better to be on the light side with the food until he's more mobile and up and around.

A lot depends on the cat too. Some are more willing to change and some don't like it at all. So it may take a day or two for his system to adjust to the new routine. We humans have the same sort of problem when it comes right down to it.

His body is likely saying - hey this is new, let's just take it slow and easy till we see what's going on here.
its 24 hours now and he just had a pee that was frothy and still not moving. I've given him 30ml of Recovery A/D cat food and going to give another 30 now. He's had a prednisolone which I crushed up and put in his water syringe, also some morphine (can't spell the correct name). Cat food is the same I've been syringe feeding him, no vomiting or urge to do so. He does has a phlegmy cough. He's so despondent and I'm so worried. Trying to have some kind of New Years celebration, but not feeling much like it.

Should I be worried about frothy pee?
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Trey our 3 legged terror - 2014
Old January 1st, 2015, 05:10 PM

Hi again:

The phlegmy cough could be due to irritation caused by the insertion of the tube. No idea what would cause the frothy pee. There is a possibility that some of the meds could be causing some sort of issue as well. All sorts of reasons could be at play here and we just don't know.

For piece of mind, if you have an emerge number for your vet, give them a call and just tell them what's going on and what has you concerned. We know it's a concern, but sometimes we need to let meds and time take the necessary time to do the healing.

We fully understand your frustrations over this - I'd be the same way.
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2 View Post
Right now he looks awful. Has not moved in hours.
Most likely from the anesthetic and/or pain meds, but I agree that a quick chat with a vet might help ease your mind. Is the morphine called Buprenex (aka buprenorphine?) It can make cats feel weird, and therefore contributing to Tig not wanting to move around much until he gets used to it.

As for something to put around his neck to hold the tube, you might be able to get a type of surgical stocking from the vet that can be cut to fit like a turtle-neck sweater (with holes for the front legs). Similar to this link, but the vet should provide it for free: http://www.amazon.com/Comfy-After-Su.../dp/B00BTTHNY2

Smooches and good vibes for Tig.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 1st, 2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Hi again:

The phlegmy cough could be due to irritation caused by the insertion of the tube. No idea what would cause the frothy pee. There is a possibility that some of the meds could be causing some sort of issue as well. All sorts of reasons could be at play here and we just don't know.

For piece of mind, if you have an emerge number for your vet, give them a call and just tell them what's going on and what has you concerned. We know it's a concern, but sometimes we need to let meds and time take the necessary time to do the healing.

We fully understand your frustrations over this - I'd be the same way.
I did contact my vet with my concerns and he eased my mind. The frothy pee could be due to air in his bladder from a test we had done to check urine/kidney/protein levels. He's at least opening his eyes and I try and have him in an area with some activity and where I can keep an eye on him Mother hen that I am. Thanks for the support always needed. Happy New Year
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:40 AM

I could weep with relief. Tigger had a non-frothy pee and a soft but formed poop, he's even cleaning himself. First hurdle over.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wonderful update, tiggy!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 2nd, 2015, 01:01 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

fabulous new Tiggy! I hope we hear as much good news as possible in 2015!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:13 PM

News sounds great - thanks for the update. We're all pulling for him, and for you too.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:35 AM

As a nurse I am very familiar with feeding tubes but never knew they could use them on cats so I have been reading this with interest. How do you keep the cat from aspirated the food? I was thinking about that cough. Also I am sure you probably had the teeth checked first thing as from past experience teeth problems cause eating disorders often. anyway, sorry to jump in but I am glad Tiggy is doing better.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogs&acat View Post
As a nurse I am very familiar with feeding tubes but never knew they could use them on cats so I have been reading this with interest. How do you keep the cat from aspirated the food?
The feeding tube is surgically implanted, either through the side of the cat's neck (an "E" or "P" tube), with the tube ending just before reaching the stomach, or another type is the PEG tube, which is implanted directly into the stomach through the side body cavity. Food aspiration is only a risk if there's vomiting.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 3rd, 2015, 07:12 PM

Day 3 and he's still not moving around. He just sleeps in a ball somewhere, mostly in boxes I have scattered around the house Cheep cat condo's.

Last night he was shivering and I had him on my chest wrapped in a blanket trying to get him warm. His ears were cold and his feet.

The cough is gone and he doesn't cry when I pick him up, but if I don't move him around he'd just stay in one spot. Did not see the pee or poop today.

How long before he has a little more life? I feel like crap, as he looks so miserable and he's skin and bones. Sigh
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:44 PM

Hi again:

Sorry to hear you're having problems. If it was me, I'd be getting the emerge number to the vet and giving them a call to get their opinion. I thought Tig would have been a little further along than you're describing - shivers are not good. He could be having some kind of a healing crisis.

Too many ways for information to be lost through the forum that could be important.

If SCM is on, she may have some ideas.

With all you've done to this point, I'd hate to see something go amiss.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Day 3 and he's still not moving around.
Aww, poor sweetie. What meds is Tig getting at this point? How much food, and how often?

Do you have a heating pad or hot water bottle? I would make sure to wrap it in several layers of towel, and in the case of a heating pad, only put it on the lowest setting, and only use it if you're home and can monitor Tig. A large sock filled with uncooked rice, warmed up in the microwave for 20-30 seconds (depending on the amount of rice) can also be a nice source of heat. Just make sure whichever method you use that Tig doesn't get too hot, and that he can move away from it if he wanted too.

Don't hesitate to call the vet again if you're concerned. They might have some ideas, (for instance, maybe a dose adjustment of a med that Tig is on).

Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:19 PM

Only med's Tig is on is Pred., 5mg 2 times a day which I mix in his water. Food is 130ml of recovery AD and I split it over 4 feedings. He has a heating pad in a large box that he gets into sometimes and he can move away from it. Where ever I see him sleeping I put a blanket or towel over him to keep him warm. At night I have him next to me wrapped in a blanket and check on him through out the night, cuddle him into me to keep him warm.

Maybe the food or water was not warm enough? I try and heat it in the syringe in hot tap water.

I'll see how tomorrow goes and definitely get him in on Monday for a check up. any ideas are welcome as this is out of my experience.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

How is Tig doing today? Any sign of improvement?

Old January 6th, 2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
How is Tig doing today? Any sign of improvement?
Well he's not hiding as much but he's lost weight down to 7.8 pounds. I'm increasing his food intake and increasing the amount I feed him per sitting. I'm trying to get up to 60ml, 4 times a day. Not easy to do. I can get the 4 times a day, but not 60 mls yet. He squirms and wants to get down. I noticed he still had foamy pee yesterday. I'm at a loss at what to do. Why would he lose weight if I was giving him enough calories to maintain or gain weight? Advice is welcome.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old January 7th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Why would he lose weight if I was giving him enough calories to maintain or gain weight? Advice is welcome.
There are some common ailments in older cats like diabetes, kidney disease, and hyperthyroidism that can cause weightloss, but these would have shown up in the lab work (although depending on how long ago those tests were run, it might be worth doing them again to see if anything has changed). Unfortunately cancer can also be a culprit, and depending on the type of cancer, it may not necessarily show up in blood tests. Can often be detected on an ultrasound though if someone has a hint of where to look. I wouldn't panic yet though, it could also just be a little blip while his body adjusts to everything he's been through. Maybe check his weight in a week or so and see where it's heading.

And Tig: Hang in there little dude! We're all pulling for you.

Old January 7th, 2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
There are some common ailments in older cats like diabetes, kidney disease, and hyperthyroidism that can cause weightloss, but these would have shown up in the lab work (although depending on how long ago those tests were run, it might be worth doing them again to see if anything has changed). Unfortunately cancer can also be a culprit, and depending on the type of cancer, it may not necessarily show up in blood tests. Can often be detected on an ultrasound though if someone has a hint of where to look. I wouldn't panic yet though, it could also just be a little blip while his body adjusts to everything he's been through. Maybe check his weight in a week or so and see where it's heading.

And Tig: Hang in there little dude! We're all pulling for you.
He was tested for diabetes, hyperthyroid and kidney a couple of months ago. The kidney is a little above normal but Dr. did a urine test before we put feeding tube in and it was ok. I had an ultasound done last year and nothing showed up maybe some thickening intestines, but that was expected due to surgery he had a couple of years ago for a blockage. Can't remember all the details, guess I'll have to get all the test and have another look. His blood work keeps coming up clean. Wouldn't the blood cells be off if he had cancer? Again I don't know what to do? I don't want to open him up and do a biopsy, I don't think he would survive the surgery. or the after math. Sigh Now I just weighted my 2 other older cats and both of them have lost weight, now both under 10 pounds when they were over 11 pounds this summer...SIGH
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013