Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old March 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,the tuna is gone,since I left it outside at night,but that could have been from any animal around here.
We have the cage back out again,put it out at 6:30am.
So it's better if I cover it??
I was planning on doing that anyway,if it rains,but was afraid it would scare him more
I am not giving up any time soon,I have it for a week,but can keep it for as long as it takes,unless HS runs out and really needs it,for a wounded animal.
Old March 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
~Cat Servent~

What worked when we were trying to get George was that the trap was sticking and not working for a few days, so he would get the food and get out fine, so he trusted it... then I fixed it and wala! that night we caught him. I would try riggin it open for a couple of days (and cover it-we did too I had a towel/garbage bag combo over it to keep out rain) then on day three fix it so it works again. Also cats like that tend to come very early mornings/late in the evening so you may have to try leaving it over night and check on it a few times throughout.

that you are able to nab him soon!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM

bless you, chico, for trying to help this kitty. i've been reading the posts and praying for a good outcome!

take care.
tracy
Old March 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I'm a softy

here kitty kitty! in the trap pleeeease! ohhhhh I hope you get him!! I cannot wait to hear good news!! oh it would be so nice to get him warm and clean and a full belly and a cozy couch the bask in the sun on top of! he deserves it after what he is going through!! Oh PLEEEAASE KITTY!!! Good luck! you are so awesome for caring for this guy! YAY YOU!!!!
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Dahmer,I've seen him a lot any time of the day,the last time he was here was around 10am.
I was told not to leave it out at night,cause we have Possums,Raccoons,Skunks etc..and if we get a skunk we have to get him out ourselves
Hubby put it out this morning at 7:30,I'll get it out earlier tomorrow and leave it a little later tonight.
OMG,I would be sooooooo happy if I caught him
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Mmm, feel like getting up early in the morning for the next couple of days? If he comes around during the day you are probably ok with it only being set then. You probably have some other nocturnal visits at night. You've said before there are coons around, right? If you could leave it out until around 10 PM and then bring it in you might get him then. He may feel more comfortable.
Covering the trap may make the kitty feel a bit more secure. If it does not look like a trap he may be more likely to go in. I used an old blanket a few times when I left it out.
This is only the second day you have had the trap. I have a feeling you will catch him.

Hate to ask but is there any possibility that this cat is female and is nursing a litter? I know you have seen him/her so will know.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW,14+,I have not even thought of that,but there is no way to find out,other than checking her teats,it would be terrible if she had babies somewhere:sad:then I would have to let her go:sad:
I just have a feeling it's a male,don't know why,but I hope he is

Now we have covered the cage and put it in the hedge,with the front sticking out,he probably would not see it's a cage,he always walks along my hedge.
Thank's for all the suggestion,I am kind of new to this..
We'll leave it out until about 10pm,if I get a Skunk,I'll call you or Dahmer
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
WOW,14+,I have not even thought of that,but there is no way to find out,other than checking her teats,it would be terrible if she had babies somewhere:sad:then I would have to let her go:sad:
I just have a feeling it's a male,don't know why,but I hope he is

:sad: I'm sorry to even have to mention it. I am really hoping you are right. You would probably have noticed a bigger belly before now. It is probably a male or a fixed female.

Now we have covered the cage and put it in the hedge,with the front sticking out,he probably would not see it's a cage,he always walks along my hedge.
Thank's for all the suggestion,I am kind of new to this..
We'll leave it out until about 10pm,if I get a Skunk,I'll call you or Dahmer
You got it!! I'm closer so I guess I win. Now it's just patience.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah,he's been around for about 2 months,all that time I thought he had a home and I think he's pretty skinny under all that fur:sad:
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

You'll get him. I have complete faith in you! If you have to give the trap back before you get him I will see if I can bring mine to you. Well, actually it's my neighbours. He hasn't asked for it back yet though. One of these days I have to get my own.

Old March 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

14+.I really don't think there is a time-limit,I signed up for a week,but can keep it longer.
Thank's for the offeryou're a sweetie as usual..
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope you got him/her last night, chico

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

If I did,you would already know,I would not sleep a wink,so no,I did not:sad:
I went out a little past 11pm to take the trap away,my stupid new neighbors had their little white longhaired beauty outside,she was in my front-yard

I talked to them,telling them I was not trying to catch their cat,but a stray and that I hoped they are not letting their beautiful cat roam outside
I put the food back out,but what's the use,if she eats it:sad:
Last I saw her,she was sitting on their front-porch,so hopefully they let her in,but the dish was empty this morning,I hope my poor little guy ate it.

They moved in last weekend and already they let the cat out

I put the alarm for 5am last night,went out with a flash-light,a can of stinky food,wearing my house-coatputting the trap back..
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:01 AM
150% PRO S/N

People will never learn until it is too late to keep their cats inside. Especially if they live near a busy road! the new neighbours listen to you but I doubt it. If they already let it out the first week...... Maybe if you catch it "by accident" it can disappear........

Another trick you could try chico, is to put a little line of food or the juices from the can of food on the ground leading into the trap. I caught Little Momma that way after trying for two years. I used tuna and put little pieces of it along the way. I also started with the food close to the edge of the cage and gradually moved it further back in. She got confident that is was safe. It took four days to do it.

Old March 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Darn! I was hoping you'd caught the little fella.

Good luck for today!

At least the weather is getting warmer. Maybe kitty can start fattening up a bit if he's not so busy trying to keep warm.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

That's a great idea 14+will do that

You know how busy my street is,they are just playing with this kitties life and greatly chance losing her,if I did not know who she belonged to,I'd scoop her up in a heartbeat,she's stunning...of course I could not keep her:sad:

I my poor little guy is still around
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM
150% PRO S/N

I'm full of them!! Ideas that is. Or full of it. Not sure which.

Old March 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
~Cat Servent~

We had to let out a different cat, 2 racoons and I got a frantic call about a skunk one morning too, they were so scared of it the poor thing sat in the trap for like 10 hours I rushed over and it was out in like 5 seconds with no problem. Just aim the trap away from you, keep it covered, hold your breath and open the door... I pointed it at the bushes and the little guy just waddled out and under a bush... he was so docile. The racoons on the other hand, well that was why the trap was busted for a few days, the one momma racoon rolled the trap halfway across the yard tryin to get out. But all that adventure was worth it, when the one trapped was finally George!

I used the food along the ground too. that does the trick.... here kitty kitty... go to Chico... she's gonna help ya out!

Oh and you should give those neighbours a good swift kick in the pants! How anyone living on your street could let a pet out unsupervised is beyond me!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a call from HS,they just wanted to ask me if I've seen the kitty and not to leave the trap out at night.
She said trapped cats freak out,understandably and they've seen many injuries,because of it:sad:
She also told me,they are available 24/7 which is great,they are such nice people..

Right now it's raining buckets,the trap is ciovered,but a puddle is forming,so tomorrow we'll have to put a board under it...
My new neighbors,I am not a snob,but they look just like they cam from the Virginia Mountain-areaand there are several people living there
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG the Hillbilly's moved in....

Good luck catching this pussy cat.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Shaykeija...I don't really care who they are,just wish they would keep their beautiful kitty inside
When I went in to tell them I am trapping a stray,I saw about 6 heads at the door
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,last night I had a female Raccoon in the trap,OMG did she cause a racket,but she flew out once we got the cage opened.
I also saw the white cat next door eating the food
This afternoon,the new neighbors second cat,a beautiful Tortie,was in the trap,had eaten all the food.
I feel like I am feeding theirs cats every day
Hubby said,Lets bring her to Gerri,yeah sure,as if I would do that,
So no stray kitty,I think about him all the time,I soooo want to save him.
I moved the trap to the other side of the house,hopefully it's safe from their cats there.

These people said they don't let their cats outside,well,they lied!!!
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
150% PRO S/N

Yeah, sounds like they don't deserve their cats. It is not going to help you with your quest to catch that other kitty who needs help if their cats are outside all the time. They will probably scare it away. :sad: Not to mention their cats won't be alive very long! What a bunch of s.
I just got finished telling hubby I will have to take one crate out of the catty house and put it in the garage so I can keep the new one in till I get him checked. I could always bring out two crates.

Can you talk to them and see if they would be willing to at least keep theirs in the house until the other one is caught?

Old March 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
-

At least you are keeping the neighbourhood well fed Chico Maybe you could try and get the new neighbours on board with you in trying to trap the little 'stray'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
so I can keep the new one in till I get him ?
New One - MAAACCKK - where did this little guy/girl come from?
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
New One - MAAACCKK - where did this little guy/girl come from?
Don't want to threadjack chico's thread Chris so...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61310

Old March 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Any new news Chico2? Keeping my fingers crossed.

ACO22
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

No ACO,and I have not even seen him,I used to see him almost every day:sad:,but I have not given up yet.
In the meantime I caught the neighbors white cat this time,makes me sooo mad
I tried talking to them again,but they say their cats really want to go out,every night..I hope they are both spayed,but I somehow doubt it. 14+ and Dahmer know how busy our street is,not a place to let cats roam.
I nearly got a Raccoon again,but he scampered off when I went to get the paper.
If I ever catch this little guy and get him some care,I'll be the happiest person.
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Bless you, Chico, for your efforts to help this kitty. Maybe the suggestion of two traps is a good one. One trap to catch the neighbor's kitty - that'll leave the other trap to catch your intended target. Of course, the stray is probably watching to see what happens to the first one before he touches the second!
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think HS would give me a second trap,then I would probably catch both of the neighbors cats and hubby would be very grumpy about the food I am wasting on them.
I wish I would just see him,so I know he's still alive
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM
150% PRO S/N

chico - I am being completely serious when I say this........ If the white kitty gets caught again in your trap let me know. I will come and get him/her. These people really don't deserve to have cats when they live on a busy street like yours and won't keep them safe! It kills me to have to read this stuff all the time. Especially when I couldn't save my sweetie and my road isn't very busy. I can't bear the thought of it happening to another one. :sad:
Or, at the very least, call HS. They don't have to know it's the neighbours cat. Let's see if the neighbour goes looking for it. If they have to claim it from HS and pay to get it back maybe they will learn their lesson and keep it in. That is probably a better idea.