Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old October 25th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Bloat and our Pets

I don't know why but this really drives me nuts,

Maybe its because of my experience with it and the unnecessary deaths that seem to occur to often with it.

It's a subject that brought me to actually creating an account and posting here on this forum.

I grew up on a hugh kennel of Dogs, (probably why I love em so much)

I have seen so many cases of bloat that it mind boggles me sometimes.
I gotta say, If the Dog still had breath in it when we found it,
We never once took it to no Vet, And it never Died!

I've also experienced it over the yrs with Guinea pigs and Goats and the same holds true to them too.

You gotta make em move,
A case in point,

My last Lab/Shephard I had,
I came home to find him not at his usual point of greeting me at the door,
I dropped everything, because I knew their had to be a problem,
I searched and found him in my bedroom under the bed, all bloated.

He wasn't moving, in desperation I grabbed him by his legs and drug him out,
He was alive, (yes thank God)
I kept telling my husband to pick him up , Try putting him on his feet, Get him to hold his weight, My dogs name was Babes, (he was my baby)
Of course he couldn't/wouldn't, but while he kept doing this, I would vigorously rub his belly, Grab his legs and sling them back and forth in fast walking/running motions, Swinging his hips belly, Get that body working!
My kids thought I was killing the dog and started crying, cause the dog started groaning and making noises like I was killing it. (Poor thing)

I really don't recall the time we spent working vigorously over Babes, But we never stopped, After awhile he started putting weight on his feet and holding himself for brief seconds, (time passes) he starts to hold his own, kinda weak,
we gently start pushing him to walk, while helping to support him from falling,
We never stopped till he was completely better and the bloat gone.

It works! Gods knows it works,
I've seen too many cases of it, and everyone survived!
If this happens to you please for Gods sake make your Doggy move,
Ignore his moans and groans, and if you still feel the need then by all means take him to the vets, But keep someone working him vogerously and never stop trying to get him on his feet,

Please for your doggies sake, Do this
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

And if the dog has bloat and the stomach has twisted, what are its chances if you decide to walk it instead of taking it to a vet?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:07 PM
-

I've been told to get the dog to a vet ASAP if it happens. I wouldn't take any chances. I am fostering a great dane and I've read they are prone to this , and it would be an emergency , nothing I could cure myself.
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Guess its a choice you'll have to make,

But I've been thru hundreds of them and never lost one by making it move, So I think the odds are in the animals favor to make it move,

If you don't make it move and its well advanced in bloat, and you let it lie still or wait a long drive to the vets, You might as well sign its death warrant, cause its chances are slim to none,

Sorry but I believe your chances are far greater of saving your pet by moving it, than worring about the slight chance of a twisted stomach

If you had seen half the cases I have and the positive effects of moving them, you wouldn't question it.

But the choice is yours as the animals owner

~~
Anyways I've done about all I can do by posting this,
You can either take the advice or throw it out the window,
Nothing more I can say,

Last edited by Chicklet; October 25th, 2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've had one case of bloat. We did walk the dog--all morning. It worsened and we had to put him to sleep anyway. :sad:

Telling a grieving owner after the fact that they could have prevented the death of their dog by walking it while it was bloating is not helpful, kind, nor necessarily true.

Our experiences are obviously different, but if I have to make the choice again, I'll not waste time walking the dog.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I wonder if our definitions of bloat differ--you've seen "hundreds of cases"? Bloat is certainly common enough to be worrisome, but that's a lot of cases to have seen. Maybe what you were seeing was something different than GDV?

Old October 25th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
We've had one case of bloat. We did walk the dog--all morning. It worsened and we had to put him to sleep anyway. :sad:

Telling a grieving owner after the fact that they could have prevented the death of their dog by walking it while it was bloating is not helpful, kind, nor necessarily true.

Our experiences are obviously different, but if I have to make the choice again, I'll not waste time walking the dog.
correction never said would have, I said probable wouldn't have, as with anything, nothing is a sure thing

Not going to argue about this, was not my point,

Sorry to hear about your puppy,

Just posted my experiences with it, fortunitly for me all was successful.

Life is life and nothing is a guarantee, Their is always an exception to every rule.

Last edited by Chicklet; October 26th, 2007 at 06:31 AM. Reason: correction
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I wonder if our definitions of bloat differ--you've seen "hundreds of cases"? Bloat is certainly common enough to be worrisome, but that's a lot of cases to have seen. Maybe what you were seeing was something different than GDV?
Not really, My mothers kennel was nothing like most kennels today that you see,

We had hundreds and hundreds of breeding dogs, My mother was partners with another lady, People from all over the world came daily, was a constant steam of people buying dogs,
And yes it was Bloat, No mistaking there.

Sorry if I offended you or anyone else, was not my intentions,
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
We had hundreds and hundreds of breeding dogs, My mother was partners with another lady, People from all over the world came daily, was a constant steam of people buying dogs,
And yes it was Bloat, No mistaking there.

??????? Are you serious? Were these people prescreened and carefully selected? Hundreds and hundreds? I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but this sounds more like a puppy mill.

As for telling people to walk a dog instead of taking it to the vet, it's ridiculous. There is no way someone can tell how far along the bloat process has progressed. It's very painful and at times needs surgery and should be seen by a professional, not someone breeding hundreds and hundreds of dogs in their backyard.
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse's mommy View Post
??????? Are you serious? Were these people prescreened and carefully selected? Hundreds and hundreds? I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but this sounds more like a puppy mill.

As for telling people to walk a dog instead of taking it to the vet, it's ridiculous. There is no way someone can tell how far along the bloat process has progressed. It's very painful and at times needs surgery and should be seen by a professional, not someone breeding hundreds and hundreds of dogs in their backyard.
Let it sound however you want it to sound, So be it,
Not going to turn this into a debate,

If you had seen my mothers setup you wouldn't dream of calling it a puppy mill.
All Dogs were Purebreds, CKC Registered, And not just anyone got a dog, Remember one time, a guy that was turned down actually came back and got on his knees begging mum to sell him a puppy, I'll never forget that day.
Even the vet oft times came to my mum for advice on Dogs, He's well up in his yrs now , But Still runs his practice,

The dogs were all caged in big indoor heated pens, with hugh yards, 9 kids, and we worked our tails off with those dogs, For someone to come in there and find a pile of pop woulda been a near miracle, People were so taken with the establishment they would buy from no one but my mums, her name spread all over the world, Number of other kennels went out of business because they couldn't compete with her attention to detail.
I could go on and on about this, but its pointless and beyond the reasons of this post in the first place.

And for the record, This was not yesterday, It was well over a good 35 yrs ago

Last edited by Chicklet; October 25th, 2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Whether it matters to you or not, you are the one who brought this up and put yourself in the situation to have questions asked. In all honesty, my questions are extremely mild compared to some of the questions other members are going to ask.

And again to point out a backyard remedy to a serious condition is absolutely insane. There is no substitution to this. For the members who are currently reading this and to the future members/guests that are going to read this, a vet is the only solution to bloat. It is wrong and unethical to make someone believe anything different.
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Quote:
Whether it matters to you or not, you are the one who brought this up and put yourself in the situation to have questions asked. In all honesty, my questions are extremely mild compared to some of the questions other members are going to ask.

And again to point out a backyard remedy to a serious condition is absolutely insane. There is no substitution to this. For the members who are currently reading this and to the future members/guests that are going to read this, a vet is the only solution to bloat. It is wrong and unethical to make someone believe anything different.
Amazing really.

I post my experience to try and help others and I get ridiculed for it,
and then told my experiences are insane, and should never have been posted for others to read,
Wow I can't believe i'm reading all this, I'll go crawl in my hole now since I have no clue and no experience that could possible help anyone,

But wait, If I can't share my experience,
hummmmm
nuff said
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Sorry, but I have to agree that bloat is nothing to play around with. Anyone reading this who has a deep chested breed, educate yourself on the signs of this extremely dangerous condition and how to avoid having it happen to your dog by feeding and exercising them properly.

As for the breeding of hundreds of dogs. Your family may have cared for these dogs very well, fact is that an ethical breeder does not breed or house hundreds of dogs, nor would they be able to show them and be breeding specifically for the betterment of the breed if breeding that many dogs ( if genetics was ever a consideration in your families operation anyway).
Sorry, the term puppymill is nasty, but I can't think of anything else to call an operation like that. Treating serious conditions like bloat without a vet is another sure sign of the medical treatment given at puppymills. Not trying to tick you off....just my opinion.

Cindy
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Sorry, but I have to agree that bloat is nothing to play around with. Anyone reading this who has a deep chested breed, educate yourself on the signs of this extremely dangerous condition and how to avoid having it happen to your dog by feeding and exercising them properly.

As for the breeding of hundreds of dogs. Your family may have cared for these dogs very well, fact is that an ethical breeder does not breed or house hundreds of dogs, nor would they be able to show them and be breeding specifically for the betterment of the breed if breeding that many dogs ( if genetics was ever a consideration in your families operation anyway).
Sorry, the term puppymill is nasty, but I can't think of anything else to call an operation like that. Treating serious conditions like bloat without a vet is another sure sign of the medical treatment given at puppymills. Not trying to tick you off....just my opinion.

Cindy
Actually they were show dogs and were entered in many Top shows, And won many first places too, Was one of the top recognized kennels within the CKC in its time.

Even the Vet respected my mother and oft times consulted with her on difficult cases.
She didn't have to run to the vets over every detail, She was in fact in her own right a vet herself,
She gave all needles, Cropped tails, preformed cesections and alot of other stuff,
Only needed the vets mostly for Autopsies or blood work, when & if needed.

My mother raised dogs way before I was even born, and continued until I was well in my teens,
She stopped mainly for two reasons, The extreme work involved, and because of so many little backyard breeders cropping up
with unregistered dogs, in sick and unhealthy environments,, She just said she'd had enough.

The little chihuahua, its a Teacup sized dog, yet within years of my mum going out of business, you couldn't find a true teacup chihuahua around here,
they may call them chihuahua's but they were not a pure chihuahua's anymore, lest not around here,
People just don't seem to know or realize it.
Thats what happens when you get Puppymills running!, They don't give a hoot about the Dog Just the damn money!
My mother cared about the Dogs and the betterment of each breed she raised!

When you have a true kennel Licenced with CKC registered Dogs you can't have a mongrel half breed on your property,
There was regular inspections,
All puppies were Tattooed and papers filled out before anyone was able to take ownership of a puppy, No Dog was allowed to be used for breeding purposes, If kids were in a family (deposits were made & my mum kept the puppies until they were much older before letting them go.

It really amazes me how most everyone here is so predetermined to condemn things that they really have no clue about, Plus you never saw my mothers kennel, yet you've already layed it to judgment and convicted it.

Jeezz I wonder why I try to help

Last edited by Chicklet; October 26th, 2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: more details since everyone seems to must know
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

It was the past and not currently being practised, so let's give Chicklet a break? It was her mom's business, not hers.

I spoke to somebody who used to work a lot with horses and she said they would do the same thing, work their hardest to get the horse up and walking/ moving immediately, then call the vet.
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Fine, even though she is the one who brought it up. We can go back to the original topic and the thought of the original topic still remains the same. IT IS UNETHICAL TO GIVE MEDICAL ADVICE OUT OVER THE INTERNET. MEDICAL CONDITIONS OF THIS NATURE SHOULD BE SEEN BY A VET. This isn't a little scrape that someone can recommend throwing on some polysporin. This is a life threatening emergency and should not be taken lightly.
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Quote:
Fine, even though she is the one who brought it up. We can go back to the original topic and the thought of the original topic still remains the same. IT IS UNETHICAL TO GIVE MEDICAL ADVICE OUT OVER THE INTERNET. MEDICAL CONDITIONS OF THIS NATURE SHOULD BE SEEN BY A VET. This isn't a little scrape that someone can recommend throwing on some polysporin. This is a life threatening emergency and should not be taken lightly.
I guess you speak with much experience in this matter,
However we do all in certain term give medical advice here,

But if you read my whole post, You would have seen, I never said not to take your Puppy to the Vets, "I said WE NEVER DID" and we never lost any.

If you read on I even said about taking it to the vets, But stated to please work the Dog up while en route,

And yes this is a life threatening condition, Which is all the move reason why time is of great essence, and why I took the time to post these details,
To hopefully save someones pets LIFE, and not waste precious moments en route or at home doing nothing.
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

But you seem to miss the point. Do you have any idea how many people come to THIS website to look for medical advice because they don't want to take their pet to the vet and pay the money? You are dispensing medical advice and putting the liability on the owners of this site. Do you understand that?

As for the members giving medical advice here, yes, but not to life threatening situations. Nor does anyone here give advice on prescription or over-the-counter medications. IT'S UNETHICAL TO DO SO! Go back and read through the pet-health forum and you can see for yourself, unless it's a little scrape where someone can put some polysporin on it, the "medical advice" dispensed by the members here is to go to the vet.

This thread was wrong of you to post in the beginning because you are dispensing medical advice over the internet. How many people do you think are going to come here and think, "Hey I can do that. I don't need to go to the vet."
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Love my Shi-tzu's

Quote:
But you seem to miss the point. Do you have any idea how many people come to THIS website to look for medical advice because they don't want to take their pet to the vet and pay the money? You are dispensing medical advice and putting the liability on the owners of this site. Do you understand that?

As for the members giving medical advice here, yes, but not to life threatening situations. Nor does anyone here give advice on prescription or over-the-counter medications. IT'S UNETHICAL TO DO SO! Go back and read through the pet-health forum and you can see for yourself, unless it's a little scrape where someone can put some polysporin on it, the "medical advice" dispensed by the members here is to go to the vet.

This thread was wrong of you to post in the beginning because you are dispensing medical advice over the internet. How many people do you think are going to come here and think, "Hey I can do that. I don't need to go to the vet."
No dear, You are being the unreasonable one,
And therefore these are my last words to you,

You have a great day!
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
No dear, You are being the unreasonable one,
And therefore these are my last words to you,

You have a great day!
No I'm being realistic. I've been a member on this site just a bit longer than you. I know that there have been lawsuits and there have been pets who have died because they were trying the "backyard remedies" given by people like you.

So you go ahead and have a good day too and I hope you realize that I'm trying to help save the life of a pet too. Backyard remedies are not the key. A vet is the only answer here.
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM

This thread has run its course and will now be closed.

For any medical emergency, including bloat, it is best to first seek advice from a vet.
Closed Thread