Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old July 10th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

The SPCA was not crowded from moving day... actually there were not that many dogs really. A ton of cats n kittens but that's normal.

The holding period varies according to location dog is found, they do not count weekend days or any holiday days, so based on strictly working days.

Yes, most likely if you wish to have him after the holding time is up, you will be required to adopt him. Unless he has a health issue which would then make him a permanent foster.
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

They told me "a week, 5 days" so for us it's 5 working days, but since I dropped him off friday night/monday morning, it will be a full week.

I wish I had kept him and told the SPCA about him, but am also glad I didn't. If I did, and the owners claimed him, I would have grown WAAAAY too attached to him. Even in the few hours I had him, I fell in love. (As did Layla).

I guess the SPCA must just be full from the Huskies, if Moving day didn't bring many in, otherwise, how else could they be full??

I called, he's there. I hope to drop by this evening, but my concussion is "acting up" and making me nauseous, and I don't feel comfortable driving in this condition, so I'm going to try and sleep it off this afternoon.
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I called, he's there. I hope to drop by this evening, but my concussion is "acting up" and making me nauseous, and I don't feel comfortable driving in this condition,
what concussion!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

TD,if I remember right,she was hit by a car a while back:sad:
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
TD,if I remember right,she was hit by a car a while back:sad:
That would be it Chico. Even though it was a while ago, it still makes me reallllly nauseous sometimes
Old July 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Honest Contributor

oh wow... how terrible would a hug from the two beanies help?

Old July 10th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm just reading this thread for the first time. Puppyluv I really hope that you can get that doggy. I found a dog wandering when I was in college, had a collar, no tags. I kept him for a few days, put posters up around the school then decided I had to give him to the spca. I called back a couple days after bringing him in and they said he was gone, but wouldn't give any details. I felt guilty for a long time, I assumed that since they refuse to give info that they must have put him down.:sad: Only a couple more days to wait yay yellow puppy

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM

I hope you get this little guy back... They probably will charge you an adoption fee though, they're all about bucks.....

NEVER EVER bring a dog in to the SPCA unless you absolutely cannot hold on to him a few days. They are really bad at matching owners with lost dogs, I almost put a dog up 2 years ago whom I was sure had been dumped on July 1st, and turned out was missing. The guy had been going every day to the SPCA, calling, checking with them, giving the description of his lost dog, and I was doing the same on my end with the description of the found dog..... Well guess what? They were too who-knows-what to realize that the dog found on the 1st, at the exact location where the dog was lost on the same day, dog description being very similar..... was the same dog. So another few days and the guy would have lost his dog forever. I saw her picture on the www.sergev.com site by pure coincidence and recognized her as the dog I had named Maggie......

So keep an eye out and go get him as soon as the time is up.....

Good luck to you
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

The SPCA badly needs a huge infusion of funds, some of it to establish a website where pictures and descriptions can be uploaded. They'd need a few support staff and probably a full-time tech but it could get a lot more animals back with their owners. The whole thing could be presented as an eminently fundable project. H*ll even I could write a proposal. Let's see some innovation, tabern*k, the problem isn't going away anytime soon.
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
The SPCA badly needs a huge infusion of funds, some of it to establish a website where pictures and descriptions can be uploaded. They'd need a few support staff and probably a full-time tech but it could get a lot more animals back with their owners. The whole thing could be presented as an eminently fundable project. H*ll even I could write a proposal. Let's see some innovation, tabern*k, the problem isn't going away anytime soon.
I agree Badger. My Mom and I were talking on the phone last night, as they are looking at getting another dog soon, and while we were talking, we were jointly looking at the Calgary HS and the City of Calgary Animal Services website (I realize that I am totally uncool, but amsecure enough to admit that I was doing this). Their websites are amazing. They have not only the animals available for adoption on there, but also the impounded animals, so you don't even NEED to go in, you can just look online to see if your animal was brought in. I think it's a great prototype that Montreal could use s a jumping point.

ps.. still no claims
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM
-

keep calling them everyday!They won't be able to forget about you when the dog goes up for adoption.
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

He sure is a cutie!! And looks so much like Layla!!
Did you put up any flyers around the area you found him?? Or call a local radio station? I would still do this if he's at the SPCA!!

We found a dog once and had him for 2 weeks while we searched for his owner! We put flyers up and had the radio station mention this lost dog. Finally someone called about him - they had to describe him to me first before they got him. Was he neutered or intact? What colour collar? Markings etc We were fully prepared to keep him if need be - but I know he missed his owners very much he would look so sad at times.

I was angry at his owners as they told me he had done this 3 times before. I told them if they neutered him, he'd be less likely to roam!

Here he is with Copper!
Attached Images

Old July 11th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

What a cutie!! I've looked around for flyers. Gone to the dog park, where they have a little bulletin board.. nothing. I have asked some of the people that I regularily see at the park if they have heard anything. No one has. I saw a couple of homeless 20-somethings today and they had a dog that looked a lot like him. I asked if they had lost one of (possibly) his littermates, and they said that their dog was the only surviving puppy of his litter, so no.
The radio station is a good idea, I will give them a call.
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:51 PM

I'm half hoping he gets to go home with you... (ok more than half)

that it all works out for the best, whatever that may be.
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM
-

Puppyluv,why are you trying so hard to find the owners?It looks to me they don't want to be found.The dog had no rabies or city tag AND if I would loose my dog on friday night in Montreal,the first place I would call is the spca and I wouldn't wait a week to do so.Know what I mean?I think you're being way too nice and I hope YOU get the dog (if you really want to adopt him that is!)
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM

i also thought about what would take the owners so long but they could be on vacations and the dog may have escaped from someone who's not as well informed about what to do.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Puppyluv,why are you trying so hard to find the owners?It looks to me they don't want to be found.The dog had no rabies or city tag AND if I would loose my dog on friday night in Montreal,the first place I would call is the spca and I wouldn't wait a week to do so.Know what I mean?I think you're being way too nice and I hope YOU get the dog (if you really want to adopt him that is!)
Believe me, I WANT this dog. But the one thing I would not be able to handle, worse even than not getting him at all, would be adopting him, and a week or two later, be out walking him and Layla, and someone aproaching me saying "that's my dog" and them doing everything in their power to get him back.
I wouldn't feel right about having him if I knew I hadn't made an effort to find the owners. Now that I've made the effort, I know that if he's not claimed 1) it was not because I tried to hide him from the original owners that he wasn't claimed and 2) it was simply meant to be.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Owned by goldens

Found puppy

I understand what you're saying but I also understand Frenchy. There is nothing I wouldn't do to find my dog if God forbid either one got lost. One of my dogs was found wandering in a soccer field. She had apparently been hanging around the park all day yet she belonged to no one. One lady who lived next to the park even had a collar that fit her and generously gave it to the person who decided to bring her home. People will go to extremes to rid themselves of their pets.
Another time some kids found a beautiful golden in a park near my home. Knowing that I rescue dogs they brought him to me. I fostered him for a day and then sent him off to another foster home. I left my phone number at the SCDD, SPCA etc... and checked the papers daily. I had the kids walk the dog through the neighborhood in case someone recognized him. A week after he was found we had him neutered and vaccinated with the intention of putting him up for adoption. The very next day I received a phone call from a lady who said she was looking for her golden. The SCDD had given her my phone number. When I told her it had been a week she said she knew but he often did that before but usually came back. Now I am in a bit of a panic because we have had this dog neutered. Her description of the dog did not completely match what this guy looked like so we came to the conclusion it wasn't the same dog. She said her dog was 8 or 9 years old and this one looked to be about 5 according to the vet. This one had a collar and hers did not. I am not completely convinced that it wasn't her dog but she wasn't that interested in him and never called me again. He was adopted and died 6 months later of cancer which made me think that maybe he was her dog and was 8 or 9 years old. He did get to spend his last 6 months in a loving home and died at peace with people that loved him.

My point in all this is that I understand how you would feel if you adopted him and then his owner later wanted him back because you did not look for him harder. My other point is that if the owner has not looked for their dog by now they may not deserve to have him.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM

We've got all our and crossed for you, two doggies are better than one, NOT at all saying one dog is bad, just double the fun
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you are doing the right thing. You have made a valiant effort to find the owners. Things happen for a reason and if you get this cutie it was meant to be. I hope you do because they are a great looking pair.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Well it wasn't meant to be. He was reclaimed today. Oh well.....maybe some other dog some other time.:sad:
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM

any idea what took them so long??
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:38 PM

I know I haven't commented yet but I was following the thread and I was hoping that you would get him. It just seemed like a perfect fit. At least the owners were looking for him and weren't just trying to get rid of him.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM
-

Well,took them long enough. I guess you were right,it wasn't meant to be.The owner can be gratefull you find their dog.God knows what might have happen to him.You can give yourself a big pat on the back.Did you tell the news to Layla?Maybe she will pressure you to go to the spca this week end
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

No idea what took so long. They showed up around 4 this afternoon (so I've been told at least). I'm happy for them that they found their dog... afterall, I would be heart broken if I lost Layla. I wish they would tag the boy, and if he is vaccinated for rabies, put that tag on his collar, and if not, get it done. Also, as a mix, there is no reason for him to be intact, and if this was a case of him wandering, neuthering might help in the future.....
I have a Q for those who know: If you find your lost dog at the SPCA, does it cost to get it back?
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Honest Contributor

awe... i guess it just wasn't meant to be... that means your little angel is just around the corner, waiting to find you n'layla very soon! and then everything will fall into place. but yeah, patience is not always an easy thing... the dog's owners owe you BIG TIME!

Old July 12th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh that is too bad I was hoping but that must mean that there is a doggy out there who needs you more, than this one did. Well you and layla can console each other.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:13 PM

Yes I do know here you have to pay to get them back and depending on how many times they've been caught the $ gets higher. Here if you don't have a licence you also have to pay for this at the time of release as well. I am so sorry you didn't get this little guy but I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason and your true match will come, I know right now it doesn't make you feel any better. Can you leave your name that they can pass onto the owner?(for just incase they decide that he is too much for them?) Or if he comes back in that they'll call you?
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:30 PM

I don't know what the SPCA charges but the dog catcher in a burb of Montreal charged us $125 when our old dobie took off once (the dog catcher lived 4 houses down from us).

Sorry you lost your little man.
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:35 AM

This is such a sad thread....I was really hoping he'd get to go home with you :sad: