Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 21st, 2010, 10:49 PM

Unhappy Dogs Barking at the door

We have 2 X 12 years old dogs. They are usually very calm and quiet. We take them out for pee and poo 3 times a day (before work, after work, before sleep). They don't bark at all when someone is home.

But when we are not home, they would bark at the door or make noise (so the neighbor and janitor of the apartment claimed). We don't leave them un-attended more than 1 hour per day. Because I leave for work at 9am and my brother comes home at 10am after his night shift, there is really not much time gap for them to bark. I am not sure if it's simply a false accusation, but my janitor told me that I have 2 large dogs(golden retriever mix and colley mix), their bark have to be very loud. I know that my dogs are calm that they don't even bark at noise. If no one agitate them, they don't usually bark. For example, if someone is banging at the door, my dogs will bark because they think that someone is trying to invade the apartment.

We were living in a cottage outside of the city. Because of personal reasons, I need to temporarily live in a small apartment for 3 months. Now my janitor told me if my dogs don't stop barking/making noises, she will report to police and ask me to leave the apartment or give up the dogs.

My only problem is my dogs don't bark when one of us is with them. How do I train them not to bark?
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM
Doggie Wench

If you're not convinced your dogs are actually barking when you're not home, have you thought of running a video camera? You'll know for sure and will also know if someone/something is provoking their barking at the same time.
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:54 PM

Yes, I will run video tape to make sure that everything is recorded to see what exactly my dogs do while we are away.

But if my dogs DO bark when no one is home, how do I train them?
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
You can call me DOG!

If you're saying there really isn't a big time gap between when you leave and your brother returns, perhaps you could get a couple of kongs where you could stuff them with some kong treats.

I myself have 2 ham bones where the bonemeal is all hollowed out so I buy a jar of no-name peanut butter specifically for the dogs. I fill the centre of the ham bones with peanut butter and give one to each dog. It keeps them busy trying to lick out the PB!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)