Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old May 24th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if you put a cat crate of a decent size in the same place where she eats and place the food further and further back. Stand quietly at a bit of a distance and slam the door shut behind her. I've done it. You have to have fairly good reflexes and work out the choreography in advance. Sometimes they just don't know they're ready to be caught and are quite relieved after the fact.

The longer she is out, the more chance she has of getting pregnant, unless she is spayed already, which would be awesome.

But I'm busy lusting after your deck

Last edited by badger; May 24th, 2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for the tip, Badger. That may work. I do have a cat crate I can put out.

I think you are right about her not thinking she is ready to come in yet, she was not happy in the winter, and she is terrified of thunder and she is always looking over her shoulder while she is eating. If only I could talk cat talk to her and let her know that she could end her life of hunger, cold and fear if only she would come in the house and let us take care of her.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Forgot to add: a few moments' trauma (ie being stuffed into a crate, grabbed or trapped) is nothing compared to what lies ahead if she stays outside (although the fact that she comes regularly to eat and would be provided with a cosy shelter come winter is a huge improvement on her earlier life).
She actually will forgive you.
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks again, Badger, I think you are right. Animals are far more foregiving then a lot of humans, and they DON'T HOLD GRUDGES!
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

What a sweet little girl,I am surprised your kitty does not seem to react,she is beautiful by the way
Don't we all wish we could talk to the animals if Misty knew what have,I am sure she would already be inside and tell you her story.
she's already spayed
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Misty is injured

Misty came to my deck last night to eat and she is injured. :sad: She is not putting any weight on her front right leg so I have left a message at the local SPCA to try to get a humane trap today. I was hoping I could win her trust first but time has run out. She was extremely agitated last night, so much so, that even Jasper, my male cat would not even sit with her while she ate.

Of course my husband is away so I won't have anybody to help me with her. I couldn't sleep last night for fear that she will get hit by a car if she can't cross the highway fast enough or that she is now an easy target for prey.

If I get her in the trap any suggestions on what I should do with her after? I won't be able to get her back in a cage to transport her as she will not allow anybody to pick her up.

Will be picking up a humane trap for her after work. Hope Misty will go in tonight and that she shows up before the racoons do .

Last edited by Love4himies; May 30th, 2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Update
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww poor Misti,beeing injured makes it soo much more difficult for her:sad:
I once fed a feral cat at my house,actually for 3 yrs and he would never let me close,he just came twice a day for food.
the Oakville HS lent me a trap,the plan was for the HS to have him neutered and checked,because he had wounds.
They were then going to let him out at my house again,he was too feral to be adopted.
Unfortunately this smart Tom,never went in to the trap and one day he just did not come back:sad:
Maybe your HS can do the same,take care of her wounds and drop her back at your house,otherwise,beeing feral or abandonned she more than likely will be euthanized,every HS has different policies,I am hoping yours is as good as the Oakville HS. Good Luck
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have the trap, but I think it is too small for Misty, so I have my cat carrier beside it also waiting. If she doesn't go in the cages, I think I will lock my cats up and open the door for her to come in the house. I have the cell number for the humane society and hopefully she can come out and help me catch her in the house. Waiting for her in the cage is a gourmet of tuna, sardines and Fancy Feast cat food.

I think the Gananoque Humane Society is a no kill shelter. When I picked up the trap I was allowed back in the No Visitor room to view some nursing kittens. One litter was left on the side of the highway (one kitten has brain damage), another litter was thrown in a dumpster. There are two nursing moms that have taken on these poor orphans. So sad. She suggested that I should apply to foster a pregnant feline, think I will. Probably won't be able to give up the kittens.

I am afraid something may have happened to Misty overnight:sad: .

Last edited by Love4himies; May 30th, 2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you for being there for Misty! I hope that she returns..at least you know there is some trust built up in her as she returns to your home and obviously feels safe to do so...

We need more people like you that are willing to help these poor kittys! There will be many poeple sending out good vibes for you and misty tonight!

Cheers

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Misty has come , ate , and gone:sad: . She would not go near the humane trap, but did go into the carrier. I tried to gently close the door and she got out:sad: , but she went back in, not far enough to close the door though. Tomorrow I will put out the same gourmet feast and my husband will be home to help.

On a happy note, she was putting weight on her leg so it is not getting worse.

She is a beautiful cat and I don't think it will be too difficult to socialize her.

I had my cats locked up and kept the screen door open while she was eating. I think she is wants to come in, but is still too scared.

Last edited by Love4himies; May 30th, 2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

L4H,Maybe she just had something stuck in her paw and removed it herself
With you and your husband on her side,your determination and devotion,I am sure one day she will be safe and happy
Don't be alarmed if she gets in to a frenzie would you be lucky enough to trap her,my cats turn in to howling fiends in the carriers
Love to read your posts about Misti and wuv you for caring
Old June 4th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OK, this cat is WAY TOO SMART. She has now decided to come at 4 AM, jump up on my window sill, get my cats all wound up so they wake me up and feed her. This means that I can't be sitting in wait with some yummy sardines and tuna in the carrier to catch her to like I was doing when she came at her previous normal time of 9PM . If I left the food out all night, the raccoons would eat it before she got to my deck .

Also, my cats are now up at 4 AM even if she doesn't show up until 5AM because they now think that is their new breakfast time.

She waits patiently watching me fix her breakfast and when all done she runs to the deck door to receive her yummies. I think she will be easy to socialize.
Attached Images

Old June 4th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,that's sooo cute,maybe not the 4am part
Hope your kitties get unused to the 4 am breakfast time
This little girl will be yours in no time,I am sure..how would your own kitties react to a newcomer??
I know mine would have lots of hizzy-fits
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
This little girl will be yours in no time,I am sure..how would your own kitties react to a newcomer??
I know mine would have lots of hizzy-fits
Jasper, my male, LOVES her and waits patiently by the door for her:love: every night. He knows how to read female body language (maybe he was used for breeding before I got him at 5 yrs old??? I adopted him from SPCA and he was not neutered when he arrived there) and knows when a cat hisses, be backs away. Misty and Jasper have met last week on the deck. He ran out when my husband put Misty's food out for her. Misty just arched her back at him, he backed off and came back into the house and Misty continued to eat. My female is not too friendly with her, and so she does not go to the door when Misty is eating. She will, however sit in the kitchen sink when Misty is on the window sill.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Tried to get her in

Well, I tried to get her in the house but was not totally successful. Locked up my kitties and opened the door to allow her to come in. She walked in, went into the kitchen, walked over to my husband and started batting at his ankles (but she allows him to pat her outside??). I have a very open concept house so she was very much overwhelmed I think.

I grabbed my jacket, which was close by, and held it up between her and my husband and started to manouver her towards the open door. She seemed relieved to get back to the deck, where she sat down in front of the door (where she is pictured eating) and patiently waited for me to bring her dinner. She didn't panic in the house but was not comfortable either.

She almost seems to have the attitude "I'll get you, before you get me".

She has discovered that our bedroom window is now open and if I don't get up fast enough in the morning to feed her, she is going to sit on the window sill and disturb my two cats, who sleep with me, until I get up! lol
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

L4H,that reminds me of a big orange Tom we got close to in Cuba,he was always with us,we fed him and others every day.
One night he decided to follow me in to the bathroom in the bungalow we were staying,as soon as I closed the door,he went in to panicmode and bit me in the foot.
As long as it is summer,your kitty will be ok,I am sure,beeing fed every day.
Hopefully by the time winter comes along,she'll realize how much nicer it would be inside
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well it was excitement in my backyard yesterday. My hubby and I just returned from a walk, it was still early and Jasper, my male cat, wanted to go out so we let him out without his leash on because he has been very good. He went to his normal spot under the bird feeders to lie in wait for a chipmunk. I looked more closely and Misty was there lying in wait for the same chipmunk . Jasper, who I swear has a doggy gene in him because he plays like a dog, LOVES all cats, and is extremely trainable like a dog, was in his glory because he had Misty and a chipmunk to play with . I could just read his mind "Which one, which one do I pick, oh I am so lucky". Misty would be saying "I am sooo hungry, oh no, how am I going to get this chipmunk?" So there is Jasper and Misty about 5 feet apart with a chipmunk in between them. THEY BOTH JUMP FOR THE CHIPMUNK AT THE SAME TIME! which distracted both of them, so the chipmunk was able to run away and play for another day .

They end up about 1 foot apart, Jasper saying to himself "Whew, pretty momma, wanna play?", Misty responded "you are too close and in my personal space, back away" and put her paw up to warn him.

She then darted for the deck with Jasper in close persuit, and realized "Oh no, humans on the deck" and made a dash for the woods, Jasper still in persuit.

Remember, Jasper has a doggy gene. We adopted him last winter and I have been training him on a harness and he is very compliant. When he would get to the edge of the lawn where the woods started, I would keep his leash tight so he couldn't go in. So when Misty runs into the woods he stops dead at the edge thinking he can't go any further, but he doesn't have his leash on . My hubby graps Jasper and puts him in the house, Misty came back about 5 minutes later to eat her dinner on the deck. She took the long way around the house and cautiously entered the back yard.

Misty must have forgiven Jasper for the chase, she was back at my bedroom window at 4AM this morning. After eating her breakfast, she was back up on the bedroom window sill clawing at the screen, Jasper howling asking her to come in and my cranky female trying to sleep on her lazy boy that is right beside the window hissing away at both of them (yes she has her own personal lazy boy chair). Ahh all my kitties are safe, I can go back to sleep!
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

what an adventure,thank's for the laugh,glad little Chippy got away.
I think Misti now think's your house is hers,hopefully before the winter,she'll be a bit braver
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I was thinking after all the excitement, I wonder if I wasn't standing on the deck and the door was open to the house if she would have run right in to "escape" the big galoot chasing her.
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Misty has passed away

I am so upset, Misty was hit by a car this morning . I can't help but feel that if I only got her in sooner. Just last night I was able to pat her for the first time and she stayed with me on my front porch to socialize for a bit.
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Unhappy Last adventure.

Misty and Jasper's last adventure,:sad:

This morning Misty came for her breakfast very late (8:30 am vs 4:30am).

After feeding her I went for a shower and when done, I let Jasper out. He was in the back yard, then took off to the front, I ran after him, watching his waddling body make a beeline for something in the front. Lo and behold Misty was there. But Misty was more interested in something behind Jasper and was trying to get around him. Jasper wanted to play and took Misty's movements of trying to get around him as a return of the invitation to play. I looked around to see what Misty was so interested in and there was a Woodchuck!

Then Jasper saw the woodchuck, then they both went after the woodchuck together. I tried to save the woodchuck, but they really wanted him, so I got out the hose. When I returned with the hose, Jasper had taken off with Misty in the woods, I took off after Jasper. The brush is thick and there were many spiderwebs but I had to get through them to get Jasper. Jasper then starts his U turn and goes back to the front yard, leaving me in the thick brush. I could read his expression "What, What were you worried about, I knew how to get home, quit panicking"

That was the last I saw of her until early afternoon. We are going to bury her in my back yard.

They would have gotten along so well Misty:sad: I wish I could have gotten her in before this.

Last edited by Love4himies; June 30th, 2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old June 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh that is too sad. Please don't beat yourself up, you gave her a chance, not many would. Nobody can predict these things. Misty girl.
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you, badger, I am really beating myself up. I knew with that highway, time was of the essence to get her in, but she was not ready yet. I knew after last night that it was going to be soon, she was starting to trust us and want to be around us.
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,poor you,poor little Misti...it's just not fair:sad:
It's hard to write through the tears,but I had such high hopes for her,that she would eventually let herself be loved and now her little life is over..
You were absolutely wonderful,did everything you could.
I am sure she had a glimpse of what beeing loved is all about,you made her life so much easier saving her from hunger and she had a good buddy in Jasper.
So,little Misti,we will miss reading about you and hope you are now playing with many buddies at the Bridge sweet girl.
Old June 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sooo sorry,I did not know her,but cannot stop crying,hubby think's I am a nutcase:sad:
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you, Chico, my hubby thinks I am a nutcase also for crying over a stray. We buried her in my backyard and are going to make a little cross for her. I am so sad. I looked forward to her coming every day, even if it was at 4AM. Jasper and Misty were getting along so well, I had hopes they would have been best friends.
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:07 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. Stray or not after awhile you love them as your own. :sad: That happened to me with a puppy, and I cried for days. Poor Misty, I am happy she was part of your life and was loved and cared for during her last days.
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I'M so sorry to hear this news:sad: Amazing how much loss and pain is felt when a kitty, even a stray, passes on. Misty.
I'm happy she had the chance to experience some human love before she crossed the bridge.
Attached Images

Old July 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I really don't know what my problem is,but Mistys death really bothers me,I am weird I guess.
Thousands of cats are out there,lost and alone,probably the equal number are killed every day:sad: ....but Misty really touched my heart,I thought she would be ok:sad:
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico I agree it is so terribly sad! but how can we change things? I think of how many poor strays are out there and multiply it around the world! the numbers would be staggering! I think of how lonely it must be! At least Misti had the chance to be loved! Not many would go to the lengths here!

RIP sweet one!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown