Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old September 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Lost dog in Woodstock, Ontario (Updated!)

*See below for a great update!*

Hi everyone,

I'm cross posting this from another message board I am on for a friend who's family dog has run off:

With so much going on in our lives right now (some good, some pretty ****ty), Friday was the last straw for me.

A while back, I posted about Zoe getting away. The SPCA picked her up about an hour after she went missing, and we got her back right away.

On Friday, Jim let Zoe out to go to the bathroom. I should mention that she is usually (the operative word, I know) great about sticking to our backyard, going and coming right back. Jim, because he had just woken up (he's on midnights), didn't think to put her collar on. He let her out, left the door open and went to pour himself some juice. When he looked out back - she was gone.

Now, aside from being ticked that he let her out without her collar (hence, no tags) and aside from being irked that he let her out right when school gets out (Zoe loves people - so she will go up and greet all the kids - we once found a little girl telling Zoe to come home with her before we stopped them...), anyway - I'm a bit angry at him.

More than that, I'm devastated. She's still gone.

I have been on the phone constantly with the SPCA and the shelter (they haven't had any calls about her). I haven't been sleeping at night - but sitting up waiting to see if I can hear her, or see her. I've been out all over the area looking for her. Today, Mina and I spent a few hours walking through the trails behind us, thinking maybe Zoe went back there and got hurt, or is hiding and we'd find her. Then we put up tons of signs with Zoe's picture on every large mailbox and bus stop and telephone pole. It's been almost 48 hours and I'm beginning to think that she won't be back.

Even worse is Mina. She is pretty upset. Most of the time, she's doing okay. But for the last 2 nights, right before bed, she goes to the window and yells and tells Zoe she loves her and wants her to come home now. Mina loves that dog more than anything, and is seriously missing her best friend. Which is why I took her out with me today, thinking that if she helps me put up posters and look for her, it'll help her with her sadness.

If you can spare them, send us some positive thoughts. That maybe someone will see Zoe's picture plastered and give us a call. Or that Zoe finds her way home, or the SPCA picks her up.

It stormed here last night and all I could think about it how much my Zoe hates thunder and lightening and feeling sick that she might be out there scared and there isn't anything I can do about it.

I feel like the worst furbaby Mom.

Here's a couple of recent pictures of Zoe - if anyone knows anyone in the Woodstock area, please forward her picture on to them. Thanks everyone.

If anyone has some info, please contact me at:***no email addresses please and I will pass on the info. Thanks!

*See below for a great update!*
Attached Images

Last edited by sonicsink; September 26th, 2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

The poor dog,I hope she is alive,and has found a new home that will keep her safe.
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Another picture:
Attached Images

Old September 25th, 2005, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
The poor dog,I hope she is alive,and has found a new home that will keep her safe.
Is a comment like that supposed to help?
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I was posting my opinion.
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:53 PM

Well my opinion is that your comment was rude. I hope it made you feel better to kick someone while they were down.
Old September 25th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Senior Contributor

what a cutie! I hope she's safe.
Old September 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

You are entitled to your opinion.My concern is the dog and I hope the dog is alive and safe and in a loving and safe home.
Old September 25th, 2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
You are entitled to your opinion.My concern is the dog and I hope the dog is alive and safe and in a loving and safe home.
My concern is also for the dog. She does have a safe and loving home. A mistake was made and now she is lost.

I checked a few other lost posts on here and you didn't leave such rude comments to anyone else. I am a nice person and I just want to help a friend. Is there any reason you chose me to be so rude to? Seriously, I want to know. I don't think I did anything to deserve a stab like that.
Old September 25th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I was not rude to you and did not stab you,my post has nothing to do with you,it is about the dog.
Old September 25th, 2005, 11:42 PM

Telling someone that you hope their dog found a better home when they are so obviously devistated is just sick. My friend came here and read what you said and she is in tears even more upset than she was before.

Why didn't you say that to everyone who posted lost dog messages on here? Why did you chose this post?
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:54 AM

to sonic

Hello

Has Your Friend Contacted HillSide Kennels? They are in innerkip but do the animal control for Woodstock. What area of woodstock did they lose the dog? Have You contacted the pet stores? I know the pet valu by the tim hortons n dollerama will put up the lost posters in their store. Also contact all the local and outside of town vets.
Old September 26th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Sonicsink,it's always sad to read about a lost dog/cat,I am hoping she'll find her way home soon.
One of my cats was missing only for 2 hours and I nearly went crazy,I can imagine how Zoe's owners feel :sad:
Please keep us updated and never give up hope,Zoe is out there somewhere,waiting to be found
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi,
If Zoe tends to follow kids around and has been known to do that...maybe put up posters at the school ( I assume your friend lives by the school where the little girl tried to get Zoe to follow her home the last time). Kids may do that never thinking that this dog actually belongs to someone else. I hope you find her. Good luck and I will be sending good vibs your way.
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:21 AM

BoxerRescue, Thanks for the tips! I'll pass on the info and get back to you on the exact area.

Chico2 & Puppyluv, Thank you for your support
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Thank you cpietra16.

Zoes owner has dropped off flyers at the local vets, groomers,dog sitters and pet stores. Her husband passed out flyers at the local school this morning when he dropped off their daughter.
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:14 PM

First of all, I want to extend a huge thank you to sonicsink for posting this for us yesterday. My family is devastated with the loss of Zoe and I greatly appreciate her willingness to post our information and pictures of Zoe in the hopes of helping us find her.

A bit of background on Zoe:

- Zoe is almost 3 years old, she is a shepherd cross (mixed with lab and beagle, we believe - so she looks like a shepherd with really short legs ).

- Zoe is extremely friendly and amazing with children. We got her from a rescue kennel almost 2 years ago. She had previously been abused and treated horribly. She has an amazing soul and is missed desperately.

- Zoe was last seen on Ojibway Street in Woodstock on Friday September 23 around 3:45.

- Zoe will need her medication, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have put up countless numbers of flyers and will be visiting all the pet stores and grocery stores this evening to continue putting them up. We have contacted every vet in Woodstock and Ingersoll and emailed pictures of Zoe to them. We have contacted the SPCA-Oxford (who only take small animals) and sent them pictures, in the hopes someone may contact them. I have been in constant contact with Hillside Kennels (and have emailed them pictures of Zoe) since Friday. My last call was to the public works departments of Ingersoll and Woodstock checking with the dead-animal-pickup, who have not had any reports of any killed animals (thank goodness). The Sentinel Review and Oxford Shopping News will be running advertisements for the next 2 weeks.

There is, of course, a generous reward offered for her safe return.

Contrary to what some may think, Zoe comes from an extremely loving home and, my husband's momentary lapse in judgement aside, comes from a very safe home that adores her.

I appreciate all the good wishes and advice from those that have offered it - thank you. If you have any questions about Zoe, please ask. If anyone hears anything, please contact me at: (**sorry, no email addresses please) or PM me for my phone number.

Thanks again,

Elizabeth

Last edited by White Wolf; September 26th, 2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old September 26th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Wonderful Update!!!

A wonderful update!!!

Zoe was returned home about 20 minutes ago!! A very nice older gentleman found her (2 blocks away) and saw us putting up signs yesterday. He went to look at the sign to get our number, unfortunately, with the storms last night, the sign was destoyed. He called a vet in town (thank goodness I had contacted them all!) and they directed him to us. I'll be calling him tonight to thank him and tell him to come get his reward!

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and advice. Our family is ecstatic to have Zoe home, safe and sound!
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Ruis I'm so happy it all turned out well! I know how devestating it is to have a loved pet go missing, it's absolutely heartbreaking, even if it's only for a couple of hours, let alone a couple of days!!
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww,thank's Ruis,you just made my day
A big to the gentleman that found her!!!
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:51 PM

I'm really glad you found your dog. Let's just hope you don't lose her a third (or fourth?) time.
Old September 26th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Unless you have a fence that's tall enough, you'll possibly lose her again. I hope that a higher fence, or building one (if you don't already have one) is in the plans.

At the very least, put up a zip line that enables her to run the length of your yard without running away.

You may also want to consider microchipping her. That way if she runs off without her collar, you can still get her back.

I'm glad you got her back, but unless you're willing to lose her again, I do suggest a better way of keeping her in your yard, other than "she is usually (the operative word, I know) great about sticking to our backyard". There may always be another time that she'll try to bolt, and not out of lack of love for your family, but interest in something else.

I'm glad for your happy ending.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitie
Unless you have a fence that's tall enough, you'll possibly lose her again. I hope that a higher fence, or building one (if you don't already have one) is in the plans.

At the very least, put up a zip line that enables her to run the length of your yard without running away.

You may also want to consider microchipping her. That way if she runs off without her collar, you can still get her back.

I'm glad you got her back, but unless you're willing to lose her again, I do suggest a better way of keeping her in your yard, other than "she is usually (the operative word, I know) great about sticking to our backyard". There may always be another time that she'll try to bolt, and not out of lack of love for your family, but interest in something else.

I'm glad for your happy ending.
Trinitie - thank you for the advice. This entire experience has truly been eye-opening for us with regards to Zoe. We already have an appointment set up to have her microchipped and we're putting in a lunge line for her (a fortified place she can be tied up for the short time we let her out to run around the yard in between walks).

Honestly, we took for granted that she is an excellent dog - but have to remember she IS a dog. Children playing and bunnies running are exciting for her and it's my responsibility to do everything in my power to ensure she doesn't get away again.

I spoke to the man that found her this evening. A truly wonderful person. He declined my offer for a $150 reward (which is the amount we agreed on if Zoe was found safe) and said it was reward enough that she was back at home with a very, obviously, loving family. I'll be sending him a thank you card and a gift certificate of some sort, in addition to writing a very grateful letter to the editor in the paper thanking him - and all the others who were so helpful and sincere in their concern throughout the past 3 days.

I told him that the reward money will be used to put in her fortified zip line and her microchipping to help ensure this doesn't happen again.

Thank you to those who responded with kindness.
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:09 PM

It's really great that you are taking this seriously. I'm so glad that you are really going to do whatever is necessary to best prevent this from happening again.
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Thats so nice to hear a happy ending. Glad to hear that Zoe is home safe and happy.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!