Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM

Dog diet: Dry vs Dry & Wet Mix

Hi guys,

I know these questions are redundant but I am very new to owning an animal so I need some help regarding food... Edit: The dog is a 2 yr old bichon/shih tzu mix (or a Schichon or Zuchon designer dog as some like to call them, ha ha) around 7-10 lbs (haven't weighed her yet) that we agreed to let her come live with us, as her old owner was unable to take care of her for the time. I'm falling in love and want the best for her!!!

1) I am not going to try the raw diet as of now, but was wondering which is better: dry or dry & canned??

2) Best dry food?

3) Best canned food?

4) Better diet: Grain free or a combination?

5) Best human foods to supplement the diet and as treats?

Thanks for all replies!!!

Last edited by TiannaG; December 22nd, 2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: To add dog information
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Next best thing to raw is canned. But if you have a large dog that would be really expensive, so go with a mix of the two!!! The moisture in canned food is beneficial, as is the higher meat content.

If anyone ever tells you canned food is bad for the teeth, it is a myth. My two just eat kibble and their teeth get caked with tartar if I don't brush them.

Best to go grain-free for both...dogs were not designed to eat corn!

Best kibbles: Orijen, Acana Provincial, Horizon Legacy, Innova EVO, Nature's Variety Instinct & "Now!"

For wet I like Nature's Variety Instinct and Wellness Core.

Adding a spoonful of plain yogurt and plain canned pumpkin or squash baby food keeps digestion running smoothly and aids in the transition to grain-free. There will be gas at first, trust me!

Some great snacks: baby carrots, broccoli, fresh or frozen green beans, apple slices, frozen melon balls, and bits of raw or cooked meat.

Hope that helps!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl

Last edited by Chaser; December 22nd, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Thanks!

I was at this independent store a few weeks ago, buying some canned to supplement the kibble and the store gave me a Now! trial. Maddy loves this kibble. I have also been experimenting with canned food and just found out she does not like salmon at all. Turkey and bison canned has been tasty but the salmon won't even be touched.
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I mix dry and canned (that's the only way he'll eat it )
I use "Orijen" it's a great food, and really good for him.

I do feed treats, usually human food (as I haven't found a dog treat he likes) I buy shopsey's hotdogs when they go on sale (and stock up and freeze them) he loves them

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:34 PM

1) I am not going to try the raw diet as of now, but was wondering which is better: dry or dry & canned??
dry & canned because adding moisture is good for the kidneys, canned has more nutrition and less additives.

2) Best dry food? depends, buy a good quality kibble from a principled company

3) Best canned food? We've had success with & tried California Natural, Merricks & Wellness. California Natural is reasonably priced.

4) Better diet: Grain free or a combination? if your pup tolerates grain free, & you can afford it... grain free.

5) Best human foods to supplement the diet and as treats? carrots, apples, broccoli, beans for veggies, little cooked pieces of meat/poultry/fish added to the bowl is a good thing. Plain yogurt delish.