Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:43 PM

Dog fight aftermath problems

On Saturday my girl Millie for in a dog fight with my sisters dog and walked away badly from it. We look her to the vet and she ended up getting about 20 stitches on her front leg along with two drains put in to drain out the infection. She is an outside dog, (with an insulated barn). Today we left her inside while we were out because it was her first day with her bandage off. Anyways, we had left her with her breakfast and water. We got home and most of her water was drunken but most of her food was still there. While she has never been an enthusiastic eater, normally she eats her food within the hour.

So thats a bit worrisome. Should i be concerned or nah? I let her outside after all day inside and she didn't pee or poop... and there was none inside. Also, She has to go back outside now. The vet told us she should be fine outside with her arm shaved like it is, but its still rather cold. (-25-40c ranging) Does anyone have any ideas to help her stay warm?

I crocheted her a little arm wrap, but while putting it on it kept snagging the stitches, and i didnt want it to accidentally pull some, so i opted out of that.
But still, she's cold! Does anyone have any suggestions to what i can do? It has to be open enough that her drains can still drain and not infect her stitches by draining onto them.

Thanks!
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear Millie was hurt in the fight. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about being off the food for the first day, it could be the meds if she's on any, or from when they probably medicated her to stitch her. Of course, no food in, no poop out. If she doesn't eat her food tomorrow I would try to offer her something easy to eat like boiled hamburger or chicken with some steamed rice. It would be easy on her tummy and probably very tempting. Just don't let her gorge. As for being cold - she probably is not. If she is used to being outside her one leg is not going to make a huge difference. Will she have access to the heated barn still? If so, don't fret. I know it's hard not to. Not putting the cover on the leg was a good idea, she could have pulled stitches if she tried to remove it. Does she have a cone so she can't lick at the stitches?

Good luck to you both. What type of dog is Millie?
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the great reply! We fed her supper with the other dogs last night and she ate every last bit. Guess the threat of them eating it for her was enough for her. As for her leg, i suppose i'll just have to watch and see if shes acting cold. She still has access to the barn-- but its not heated. Just insulated. Eventually the dogs and cats will have a heated barn, but we are still pretty new to our property and so many other things need to be done first--unfortunatley.

Yes, she does have a cone. Except its so thin its falling apart. So we need to locate another one for her (we have at least two in our house, we just cannot find them!!) one of our other dogs keeps trying to lick Millies stitches. So i think when we find our cones, she gets one too.

Millie's breed is a mystery to us Our best guess is Border collie/ Golden Retreiver. Shes got border collie coloring, and a golden retriever everything else. Except for her eyes. We dont know whete those could be from.

Judge for yourself
*old picture*
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Can't dooger stay in the warm house another day or two while she's healing if you feel it's too cold outside?
supah-cutie btw!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Well her eyes say Husky to me. She's beautiful. Glad she ate. Do keep an eye on her with the stitches, my dogs recently have never bothered their stitches and I found the cones just bothered them more than the stitches, but every dog is different. Sorry I mis-read the insulated barn part. But I still wouldn't worry too much. If she's used to being outside she has the coat for it. Hope it all goes well. Keep us posted.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Can't dooger stay in the warm house another day or two while she's healing if you feel it's too cold outside?
supah-cutie btw!
She could, but shes got a full winter coat and the house is VERY hot on her. Seeing her outside i think shes okay
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Well her eyes say Husky to me. She's beautiful. Glad she ate. Do keep an eye on her with the stitches, my dogs recently have never bothered their stitches and I found the cones just bothered them more than the stitches, but every dog is different. Sorry I mis-read the insulated barn part. But I still wouldn't worry too much. If she's used to being outside she has the coat for it. Hope it all goes well. Keep us posted.

The eyes do suggest Husky, but nothing else about her does. Its very strange. Millie definitely when we have taken her cone off for whatever reason, the first thing she does is try to lick them.

We've gone through two cones with her now, they freeze and shatter in the cold. Yesterday we came home to find cone #2 broken and some of her stitches pulled.... Millieeee!!!!!