Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 28th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Crazy Monkey Casper

Trouble eating

Hi SCM and Growler.

Muffy seems to be having a difficult time eating. I have tried the Evo Venison, Turkey & Chicken, Wellness Beef and Chicken and she does is not eating that well. Our vet was here on Friday and it seems that Muffy has alot of tartar build up and the left "eye" tooth seems to be bleeding a but (stopped now, it think) it looks like it more of a tooth issue than gums, so started the traumeel again today in her water. I am concerned about her eating, so I cooked a plain chicken breast today and cut it up into small bits. She just gobbled it up.... I am not sure what the issue is with the food, any ideas to what I can try? She is obviously not a lack of hunger due to the CRF if she will eat the chicken breast like crazy.

We started a new chinese herb on Friday afternoon called Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang, which will help with her heart condition, tumor and constipation. Every since we started this new herb she has had a BM every day and in some cases 2 times.
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

m.scott,I have no food-suggestion,it seems you've tried the best already
I don't suppose a dental-procedure is possible for her,a bad or painful tooth,could certainly make her eat lessIt just seems to be one thing after the otherwith the poor little girl,but I know you take good care of her.
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Sounds like she's not too thrilled with the flavour of the food at the moment. Have you tried adding little bits of the cooked chicken ontop of some of the canned food, so in order to get the chicken she must eat some canned.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Crazy Monkey Casper

Hi Growler,

I tried that yesterday, she ate a bit of the Wellness Chicken & Beef, but I think her mouth is too sore to keep licking. Today it seems to be worse, as she wants to eat the yoghurt, but it's too cold and it hit the tooth that is sore and she was "shocked" when the cold hit her tooth.

She is drinking water from the bathtub and keeps eating the cooked chicken, as longas it's warm. No issues with the eating, I think it's just really sore.

I am going to track down the vet today as we may have not option but to have the tooth removed, some how. She can't seem to get a break these days. The good news is she keeps having BM with the new herbs
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Crazy Monkey Casper

OK, we decided to opt with taking the 2 teeth out that are a major issue. I am concerned with the decreased eating (due to pain) that Muffy would just starve to death. The vet I took her to gave a 70% chance that she would live through the procedure and decided best to move forward today. If we wait another day or so and it did not improve, a further weakened state would have resulted in disaster. Muffy made it through the procedure (used gas and pain meds)

I hope this is a turning point for her and that she will enjoy some time with no issues
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

m.scott,did she have her teeth pulled today,I get a little confused sometimesold age and all that
One of my cats had a tooth pulled just a couple of months ago,but he's only 7 yrs old.
Muffy did ok and will recover quickly
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:36 AM

How nice that you could get her in for dental extraction so soon

Speedy Healing Muffy

Old June 30th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Crazy Monkey Casper

I am really happy that the Dr. could do it so fast. last night was really rough though, not sure what the issue is, Muffy still does not want to eat much as I am sure it's painful. I think she may have side effects from the Isoflurane gas they gave her. She attempted to vomit last night, but nothing came up. I am concerned that she might have inhaled it as her lungs were raspy overnight, but she coughed a few times this morning (at 4am!) and seems to be better when I put my head on her chest to listen.

I really hope that this is the last barrier for quite sometime. We have worked so hard with her to move in the right direction and every week there seems to be a brick wall

She ate a bit of the chicken breast last night after coming home (warmed up and small bits) and this morning she nibbled at a bit of the Wellness Turkey, but not much. I need to start getting the Clavaseptin (antibiotic) into her, lst night she wouldn't take it any way, so i finally tried to pop it into her mouth with no luck. usually i can get it into her with a treat, but no luck so back to (hitting my head on the wall).
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

When my Vinnie needed antibiotics after his tooth extraction,it took 2 of us to get him to take it.
Luckily it came in a very small capsule,easily swallowed with no taste.
I would hold Vinnie and cuddle him,hubby would open his mouth and pop it in,keep his mouth closed and massage his throat until he swallowed.
I agree you and Muffy need some better days from now on
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:36 AM
Crazy Monkey Casper

Hi Chico2

They put Muffy on Clavaseptin (50mg 2 x's daily). She stopped eating her treats, so now she has made it very difficult to get any pills into her. I know she needs to have the Antibiotics, so i am crushing the tabs (they are very small) and putting it in an eye dropper with a bit of water, the smallest amount possible to go quick, I am sure it does not taste nice!

Finally today she seems to be brighter and eating normal food. I tried the Healty engulgance pouches from Wellness, it's still grain free, but does contain some veg. Not too concerned as i just want her to start eating again. The good thing is that the Turkey and Duck blend are very low in Phos. Based on the calc that Growler gave me earlier the protein is 44% and teh Phos is .8%DM. The lowest is the Chicken, Duck and Shrimp (not sure if the shrimp will be an issue), but the deatails are 44% protein, .6%DM phos, so really low.

The full details as fed are:
Turkey/Duck blend
Protein 8% min
Fat 4% min
Fiber 1%max
Moisture 82%max
Ash 2%max
Magnesium 0.025%max
Taurine 0.10% min
I called and was advised that the phos level for this brand is 0.16% as fed

Chicken, Duck and Shrimp
Protein 8% min
Fat 4% min
Fiber 1%max
Moisture 82%max
Ash 2%max
Magnesium 0.025%max
Taurine 0.10% min
This one is 0.12% phos level as fed.

What to you think about these SCM and Growler? I guess as long as she eats something, it better than the alternative
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM

Did you check with the vets office about crushing & diluting the pills? Some meds are fine with whatever you do with them but some do need to be taken as only as prescribed.

The food looks good, I wouldn't worry too much about the shrimp it's by weight the 5th ingredient and there are 2 other more prominate protein sources there.

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

m.scott,I am glad she's eatingand feeling better
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Crazy Monkey Casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Did you check with the vets office about crushing & diluting the pills? Some meds are fine with whatever you do with them but some do need to be taken as only as prescribed.
Hi Growler, I did call this morning and they advised is was ok to mis the pill in a bit of water/food to force it into her. Muffy started taking the full pill this morning in a treat, thank goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
The food looks good, I wouldn't worry too much about the shrimp it's by weight the 5th ingredient and there are 2 other more prominate protein sources there.
Glad to hear it, she seems to really like the food, but having to mush it up. I am hoping that as her teeth get better that I can just feed it as is. She seems to really like the duck in the food
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM

Good news on both accounts then

Old July 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Pet Guardian

I was advised to mix fortiflora into my cats food to make her be attracted to it.

http://www.healthypets.com/fortiflora30.html

In your case check with the vet first.
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Crazy Monkey Casper

Hi Meow,

THX for the information! always appreciated when they go off their food.

Muffy seems to be on track with eating again, loves the Wellness Endulgence (Turkey and Duck), it's going down well.

The challenge that I am having now is getting her pills into her. I have tried Cheese, Pill Pockets, Treats and nothing. I don't want to put them in the yoghurt since she my be associating the pills with what I am giving her. I am sure the Antibiotics don't taste so good, but today is the last day

I have been crushing up the pills and giving in an eye dropper, but would like to get them into her on her own will, any ideas???
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Crazy Monkey Casper

Update

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you am update as it's been a busy 2-weeks!

Muffy started to pass urine in her blood about 8-days ago, nothing major, but concerning. We were able to obtain a sample to test for a UTI, but the results came back negative. Our vet had indicated that the cancer could affect the bladder at some point by causing inflammation resulting in bleeding. we have been trying several treatments to see if we can get it to stop, which include homeopathic and Chinese based, but currently there are no signs of it stopping. We have halted the low dose aspirin therapy to see if that would help, but it's been a week now and no real changes. Muffy also developed an ulcer in her eye, which we have been treating for 10-days now, but there is always a bloody discharge (very small amount). I am hoping that it will clear up int he next few days, but concerned about the continued bleeding.

I read SCM's link to the quality of life scale, as I think we need to be prepared, and I would say, today, that all things are on the positive side. Muffy is eating (like a hound in most cases), still going outside, purrs and does not seem to be in any pain (other than me always poking and prodding at her).

I am not sure how long this will last, but will enjoy the time we have with her and take it day-by-day. we might just get lucky and one of the treatments might kick in and stop it, miracles happen everyday and she could sure use one or two after the past couple of months she has had:sad:

As one famous song lyrics say, "where are here for a good-time, not along-time", so quality of life for Muffy is important and want her to be happy.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess we can say,the update had some bad news and good..

Muffy sure is a tough little girl,kitties are amazing little creatures,of course her caretakers are amazing too
I am sure when the time comes to weigh her quality of life,you will make the right desicion for her,but like you say,she might show you she still has a lot of spunk left,miracles do happen
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for that miracle, m.scott! She sounds like a real fighter, and you're doing so well by her.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Wanted to send along some for Muffy

Yes the song is very true and we need to make sure they do have a good time while they are here with us. I'm sure you will do just that

Old August 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Crazy Monkey Casper

Sad News

Hi Everyone,

Just finally had time to make a posting. Last Monday, Muffy passed away. Unfortunately it was not on her own, I had to take her in. She suffered from a blood clot followed by a small seizure and then a Granwall seizure. i could not let her expereince that pain again, though it did only last seconds. Her will to live out weighed her body's ability to keep up.

Muffy is in a happier place now, with her mom and we will greatly miss her in our home, though she was only here for a short 3-months.

We decided to adopt a new little friend, Casper, a Hymallian flame point only 11-weeks old.

I will figure out a way to upload a pic so you can see this cute little devil!

Thank you to everyone for all of your support, tips, tricks and recommendations, it truley helped muffy through some bad times.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

m.scott,I am really sorry,but like you say,she is now in a happier place,no more suffering.
Muffy looks like such a sweet little girl,she was very much loved and taken care of until the end.
We like to think of our past animals running happily at the bridge,joined by old friends and watching over us.sweet Muffy

I am glad you got another kitty,I know she will have a wonderful life with you and we will hold you to pics,ok
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear about Muffy , you did everything you could for her.

Yes, she is in a better place now.

As for the flamepoint himalayan , Puddles' brother was a flamepoint, what a sweetie.

To upload pics, you may need to resize so they are under 100kb, then you click on "Manage Attachments" button below, browse for your link, then upload.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, m.scott, I'm so sorry about Muffy You were such an angel to her!

Muffy

Casper is a lucky little guy to come to you! Can't wait to see pics of him!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM

m.scott I'm so sorry :sad:

sweet Muffy She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before