Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 9th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Bluebear

Dog's head and when walking is leaning to left side and balance is off

My dog is showing symptoms of leaning his head to the left and when he just went outside he stumbled to the left. Could someone tell me is this is a serious thing. Thanking you all in advance.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, this could be very serious. One of our dogs got into some toxic mushrooms last year and exhibited similar symptoms. She required a night of fluids at the vet to flush her system and prevent organ damage.

It might also be something neurological like a stroke.

So I'm afraid your best bet is to see a vet. Even if it's something relatively minor, like an ear infection, you'll need meds prescribed by a vet to clear it up.

Good luck!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Hazel, of course, is right. You should go see a vet. It could be very serious.

If this is your twelve yr old dog (per your profile) it could also be vestibular disease which would manifest with a head tilt and stumbling. Another symptom, just to be on the lookout, is vomiting and eyes going up and down or side to side. Just letting you know in case it comes on during the night. :sad:

Our 14 yr old golden had a bout in the fall and it was very very scary. She is fine now but it took quite a while. One way or the other definitely go to the vet as it could be so many other things too.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Bluebear

Thankyou very much. My husband was on the phone with the vet when I posted the question. They are booked up today but told him I could bring him in between 8:30 and 8:45am. He is still very wobbly and just looks at me cause he is very scared. I'm hoping its vertigo. He used to shake his head when he barked like it bothered his ear but yesterday when we were playing he never shook his head it just started to tilt. I checked his ears and smelled them no ear infection and then shortly after I noticed his head tilted. I'm so upset to me he is still young. My baby. Thank you for the replies. I will let you know the outcome.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How did the vet visit go, bluebear?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Bluebear

Hi: Bear is doing very good now. He had an inner ear infection and is still on the Antibiotics until tuesday next week. The tilt in the head is gone and he is 100% better. Thanks
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's great news! Thanks for the update!

Old August 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Bluebear

Bear had a stroke

Hi: Just an update on Bear. I know this sounds unbelievable but apparently Bear had a stroke and he is not really doing good right now. For some reason it seems like he is getting worse and cannot balance good at all. We had xrays done and the vet said she could not see any infection and that bear has had a stroke and this is why the medicine was not working this time. He was on antibiotics for 4 weeks at first and it went away and then came back 8 day's later and the pills this time were not working so he had x-ray's and she said that it was a stroke. I have been trying to find out information on reoccurring strokes. Would anyone have information on that. I only find information on strokes and that they usually come through but I feel bear is having reoccurring strokes. Does that mean he is starting to suffer. He has turned very very grumpy and snapped at my husband last night and he was not even touching him it was me at the back of him going to help him up to go to bed. I will admit he has put my hand in his mouth also but he never bit down or hurt me. Will he get worse. :sad:
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM

Oh no. Poor guy. My girl Venus went through a stroke. It was very scarey but luckily happened just the one time.
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Bluebear

Bear

Hello Everyone:

Just an update on bear. He went in for more blood work yesterday, they are testing the CBC's and some fungus thing we have in BC. Today he is in for sedation and ear flushing and culture. He is still on antibiotics. We went from 2 pills a day to 3 a day then tried 4 but he couldn't handle it so went back to 3 for another week and the day before yesterday we went back to 2 a day. I started putting surolan in his ears and his head tilt went away. For some reason when he is smelling or standing still he kind of in slow motion falls over to the left still. So I guess they are still trying to figure out what he has.
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Bluebear

Bear

Hi: Just another update on bear. His cell count is still up. They want to keep him on the antibiotics he is on for now and then if still not better they will change him to another antibiotic. Apparently he will be on them until he is better. Some kind of infection that is aggressive and the antibiotics are helping a bit but for some reason not killing it.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Bluebear

Rest in peace Bear

Just to update you all. Bear lost his battle with cancer and god only knows what else on Thursday September 11, 2008 at 6:50pm. He had internal bleeding and we could not let him pass away in the night alone and maybe even in pain. So we made the decision to end his pain. We miss him very much and he is now at peace and pain free. Run free my pride and joy. Someday we will all be together.
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:14 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. :sad: You obviously were trying very hard to find out what was wrong with Bear and heal him. How brave that you were able to love him so purely until the very end and end his suffering in a peaceful way.

You obviously loved him very much and I am sure he is greatly missed.

Nothing else to say Bear
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
Just to update you all. Bear lost his battle with cancer and god only knows what else on Thursday September 11, 2008 at 6:50pm. He had internal bleeding and we could not let him pass away in the night alone and maybe even in pain. So we made the decision to end his pain. We miss him very much and he is now at peace and pain free. Run free my pride and joy. Someday we will all be together.
Bluebear - I was dreading to read this. I went through something very similiar with my Rott one year ago in which he lost his battle with cancer and a stroke.

I am so terribly sorry to hear this. Though I have no words to comfort you - please know that you are in my thoughts.

Peace to you both. Again I extend my best to you.
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear about Bear.

Bear

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Bluebear I'm sorry for your loss.

bear
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I am so sorry for your loss.

RIP Bear.
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

You gave him the best gift of all, bluebear--he felt you there, sending him off with your love. Now he runs free and will wait for you.

Bear

Old September 17th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Bluebear

Wink Thank You All For Your Thoughts

Thank you all for your kind words. Lord know's we need them. We miss him so much. Blue misses him a lot also. He has been a bit nervous on his own. I try to tire him out so he will sleep a lot. Having thyroidism he sleeps more than most dogs. Lately though he seems to sleep lighter than he use to. When I use to get up he would not even hear me go outside. Now I just move and his eyes open and he follows. I thank the lord I have him to keep me busy. He's our baby and a sweetheart. Thanks again everyone.