Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old April 15th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Pit bull kills small dog in front of 11 yr old owner in Ottawa

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...attack495.html

A vicious attack from an unmuzzled pit bull has killed an Ottawa boy's much smaller dog, prompting city officials to demand that the aggressive canine be put down.

Jesse Lorange, 11, was left shaken after the loss of his pet, a three-year-old Shih Tzu he named Bailey.

Jesse was taking Bailey for a stroll after school on Wednesday when he encountered a woman also walking three dogs, including two pit bulls, just outside his apartment.

Suddenly, one pit bull broke free from its leash and attacked, going for Bailey's throat. The Shih Tzu was dead moments later in what witnesses say was an unprovoked attack.

The pit bull wasn't wearing a muzzle, in violation of provincial law.

Charlie Mayer, the father of the woman who owned the pit bull, said everyone was sorry about what happened, and that the dog had never behaved this violently before.

"In the past, it was very controllable," he said. "It's sad."

Neighbours said the incident was a scary reminder that dog owners need to be mindful of potentially violent pets.

"I think people have to pay attention to their dogs and the law," said Felipe Clavijo, a dog owner. "What can I say? The dog was supposed to have a muzzle on it."

A judge will now decide whether the animal should be destroyed.

End of Story ContentBack to accessibility links
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Senior Contributor

yesterday the little boy was given a 7 month old pug mix by a family in ottawa, and the pit bulls owner agree'd to have her dog euthanized next week even though the boy and his mother didn't want that.
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh crap! What is wrong with people!! That poor boy with be tramatized for years because of that! That poor shih tzu and the pain he went thru. I feel like I'm going to be sick thinking of that happening to Mindy!

And all because a stupid @ssed owner didn't put a muzzle on her dog,,,PLUS was walking 3 dogs 2 of which were pitbulss that she obviously couldn't control! She should of been walking just one dog. And now the dog is going to be put down because she was to lazy to put a muzzle on it! I knew I shouldn't of read this.now i feel

CRAP CRAP CRAP!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)

Last edited by Tundra_Queen; April 15th, 2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Senior Contributor

sorry, maybe I should remove it?

here is the article about the boy being given a new pup

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../17999781.html

The owner of a pitbull that attacked and killed a Shih Tzu while an 11-year-old boy watched in horror says she’ll put the dog down.

“I feel really weird, upset, complicated, confused,” Jennifer Mayer said Thursday.

Her 10-year-old American red nose pitbull, Tyrus, has been marked as a “vicious” dog and must be muzzled and kept on a leash at all times. She’s also facing more than $600 in fines and an order by the city to have the dog destroyed.

“My hands are tied. If it was my choice, I’d be keeping my dog,” Mayer said.

Her decision comes after a terrifying incident Wednesday.

Jesse Lorange, 11, was walking his pooch Bailey along Paul Anka Dr. around 5:30 p.m. Mayer’s pitbull charged and sunk its teeth into the smaller dog’s throat.

“There was no barking, (the pitbull) just ran up and bit Bailey’s neck and started swinging her back and forth,” said Jesse.

Mayer wasn’t there when her dog went on the offensive.She has a muzzle for Tyrus, but it wasn’t used Wednesday.

Tyrus is old enough to be exempt from Ontario’s 2005 pitbull ban, but is required to be fitted with a muzzle when outdoors.

According to the city’s records, Tyrus doesn’t have a violent history, said chief of bylaw and regulatory services Linda Anderson.

“The owner of the pitbull has taken full responsibility for the event, and from the witness statements, it’s quite clear that it was an unprovoked bite attack,” Anderson said.

Neither Jesse nor his mother, Gladys Lorange, want the dog to be put down.

“Right now, we’re trying to get it removed from our building,” said Lorange, who lives in an apartment at 3360 Paul Anka Dr.

Tyrus was staying with Mayer’s father, who also resides at that address.

But Mayer said the pitbull is at her house now.

She told the Sun this was the first time Tyrus has ever attacked another dog or person.

“If I was there, it wouldn’t have happened. My heart goes out to them,” she said. “Not only did they lose a dog, but I also lost a dog.”

Meanwhile, people across the city have been reaching out to buy or give Jesse a new pet.

“As soon as we heard the story, we had to,” said Robin Lacasse, whose family offered up their seven-month-old Shih Tzu-pug mix, Kiki.

“We all love dogs. We’d be crushed if it ever happened to us,” said her husband, Rene Lacasse.

Tyrus will be put down next week.

kelly.roche@sunmedia.ca

Last edited by Melinda; April 15th, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How so very sad for all .

I would be very interested in hearing views from doggy smart people on why a 10 year dog would suddenly go after another dog with no history of aggression or previous signs of aggression.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

the owner was quoted as saying the dog always wore a muzzle but for some reason it didn't this time
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
the owner was quoted as saying the dog always wore a muzzle but for some reason it didn't this time
Isn't that always the case
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Mickey, my angel

I did notice that it was not the woman who owned the dogs who was walking the dogs at the time.

The dogs were apparently staying with someone else at the time of the incident and were being walked by an unidentified and perhaps inexperienced woman.

Whatever the reason for the attack, it is a very tragic story.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I can't even imagine.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

for the shih tzu
for the pit who will now have to die because of stupidity

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
...why a 10 year dog would suddenly go after another dog with no history of aggression or previous signs of aggression.
Because this isn't a case of aggression imo. If the story was about a Golden Retriever killing a squirrel, would it make the news? How about a Labrador killing a bird? A cat killing a mouse? For all we know, the dog could have viewed the Shih Tzu as prey.

Not too long after we first adopted Lucky, I had taken him for a walk and, out of nowhere, a wee little black fluffball perhaps all of 5 lbs, came zooming up to us. No barking, not a sound came out of it. Lucky instantly grabbed it by the back of the neck and was about to shake when I screamed, "drop it!" Fortunately for us, he did and the little dog didn't seem hurt. He then sniffed the dog, wagged his tail, and gave it a play bow (owner of dog was shoveling his driveway and witnessed the entire incident). I'm sharing this to show that Lucky didn't even realize that this was another dog at first. He just acted instinctually. Perhaps the same could be said of the dog in the article.

What happened is tragic but, it boils down to the irresponsibility/ignorance of the humans involved. All dogs can kill, plain and simple, regardless of breed. I just wish everyone was aware of this and took steps to prevent such accidents.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Because this isn't a case of aggression imo. If the story was about a Golden Retriever killing a squirrel, would it make the news? How about a Labrador killing a bird? A cat killing a mouse? For all we know, the dog could have viewed the Shih Tzu as prey.

Not too long after we first adopted Lucky, I had taken him for a walk and, out of nowhere, a wee little black fluffball perhaps all of 5 lbs, came zooming up to us. No barking, not a sound came out of it. Lucky instantly grabbed it by the back of the neck and was about to shake when I screamed, "drop it!" Fortunately for us, he did and the little dog didn't seem hurt. He then sniffed the dog, wagged his tail, and gave it a play bow (owner of dog was shoveling his driveway and witnessed the entire incident). I'm sharing this to show that Lucky didn't even realize that this was another dog at first. He just acted instinctually. Perhaps the same could be said of the dog in the article.

What happened is tragic but, it boils down to the irresponsibility/ignorance of the humans involved. All dogs can kill, plain and simple, regardless of breed. I just wish everyone was aware of this and took steps to prevent such accidents.
Thanks, LP. I've often wondered how big dogs recognize small dogs as dogs because they really look so different, so maybe they don't at first .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Melinda, I didn't mean u should remove the thread. I should know better than to look at these threads, it's my fault not yours.

I don't think the dog should be put down. I think the lady should be fined severely and thrown in jail if her dogs are outside again without a muzzle. Even in the backyard!

The little boy and his mom don't want the dog to be put down, so I don't think it should as it has never done anything like this before.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Doggie Wench

I'm guessing it depends on the individual dog. One who is well socialized and exposed to lots of little dogs (this can be said of all stimuli) can be well conditioned and may not react as quickly if instinct kicks in. In Lucky's case, as I assume in most cases, he needs to smell them. Once I learned how to read Lucky's body language eg. his eyes, ears, body posture (stalking mode), it scared the heck out of me to realize all the things he reacted to as prey.

Having said that, it's also important to understand prey drive is hard wired in dogs, it's what's ensured their survival. Dogs are a predatory species. Some dogs have higher drives/instincts than others but, it's always there and can't be simply extinguished.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

That is very sad and tragic to the boy and both dogs to loose there lives over irresponsable owner.

It was really nice thing what the laccase family did.and all the others that offered to buy or give the boy a new dog.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

LP, I tend to agree with your thoughts on this. I know that when Shady(ACD) first started going to shows with a friend's sheltie she seemed fascinated, taking to shoving her nose right into their coats to check them out. She was in a calm situation though, unlike the pb who was rushing at the smaller dog .Shih Tzus are even more 'different' shape wise. Stupid irresponsible owner who failed to protect her dog, meanig the pb of course. Tragic for all concerned.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:56 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

But but --- the pitty was not WITH it's owner. The second article says it was with the owner's father, didn't it? Had the dog been with it's owner the attack would not have happened as the dog would have been muzzled.

LP - thank you for your explanation. As an owner of a tiny dog I have seen first hand the reactions from a bigger dog to her. At least when she was younger. When we moved down here and Sammy first met Keesha Keesha would put the run on Sammy all the time. It was hilarious to watch but had Sammy been any other type of dog but the she is it could have been much different. I can well believe that some dogs think smaller dogs are prey.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

her father muzzles his old gal he says, so why didn't he with hers?
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:03 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
All dogs can kill, plain and simple, regardless of breed.
Regardless of the breed ? Sorry LP but some breeds are more prone to it. That's it , that's all. All breeds have their own traits , some breeds stronger than others. Pitbulls were bred to be dog aggressive , it's within the breed !! And nobody can deny that ! Read about the breed and you will see .... Just like my Pyrenee is territorial , just like my Kelpie , who displays hearding behaviors etc ....
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:07 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
her father muzzles his old gal he says, so why didn't he with hers?
Oh, I missed that part of the article.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
But but --- the pitty was not WITH it's owner. The second article says it was with the owner's father, didn't it? Had the dog been with it's owner the attack would not have happened as the dog would have been muzzled.
Obviously her dear father was not up to the task(he must feel terrible, poor chap ) so IMO big mistake on her part, and thus she failed to protect her dog. My big red ACD was a volatile creature, calm to look at but you know, potentially as dangerous as a pb, so only very rarely did I ever hand his lead to anyone else at shows .... to an All Breeds Judge friend who bred and owned his grandsire, to my opposition in the ring who needless to say was handling this breed all the time, and to a Kelpie breeder who was just as experienced. That's it in all his years of showing, you have to protect this type of dog from their own base instincts.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

yes, he talks about his "old gal" in one of the articles

and I agree, any dog can kill, their dogs for gods sake, any cat will kill a mouse or bird also, brina being a lab could kill, I don't take any chances, she is an exception to the breed mind you as she is gentle as can be with critters, but I still would not take the chance of leaving her alone with one, she is super gentle with kids...but again, she's never left alone with them, I just don't chance it.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:32 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
yes, he talks about his "old gal" in one of the articles
I must be blind today. Either that or I'm subconsciously skipping over that part of the articles. I just don't see it. Could you print it out for me please Melinda?

Old April 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll see if I can find it again....hang on. its when I was googling this morning
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I'll see if I can find it again....hang on. its when I was googling this morning
You GOOGLE?

Old April 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

When CTV Ottawa went looking for the pit bull's owner, Charlie Mayer told us the dog belongs to his daughter. However, he also admitted to having a pit bull of his own.

"I have one, she's an old girl and she goes out with her muzzle," he said.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:50 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
When CTV Ottawa went looking for the pit bull's owner, Charlie Mayer told us the dog belongs to his daughter. However, he also admitted to having a pit bull of his own.

"I have one, she's an old girl and she goes out with her muzzle," he said.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca...hub=OttawaHome

Ahh ok. I'm not losing it then. It wasn't one of the articles you had posted earlier. Thanks!!

Old April 15th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

LP - thank you for your explanation. As an owner of a tiny dog I have seen first hand the reactions from a bigger dog to her. At least when she was younger. When we moved down here and Sammy first met Keesha Keesha would put the run on Sammy all the time. It was hilarious to watch but had Sammy been any other type of dog but the she is it could have been much different. I can well believe that some dogs think smaller dogs are prey.
the dads owner wasn't walking the 3 dogs (two were pits) a woman was
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You GOOGLE?
all the time so I know what I'm thinking/saying is the truth, I detest being corrected, ok, not detest exactly, but I like to think I'm part of the truth and not the rumour mill, know what I mean?
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:58 AM

I do not have experience with dogs as most owners here; before I owned my dog 18 months ago I always felt the dog that was aggressive should be put down etc. etc. Now I am a dog owner, I am wondering: could another home be found for the pit bull, the person owning it be fined, the little boy receive monetary compensation from her as well, and owner pay any other costs to do with the dog which died.
To be quite honest, I do not like walking my dog in our neighbourhood in case a larger dog comes running out and attacks my dog - I think about it the whole time I am walking her.