Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Any ideas,want to change roxy to a lower in calorie food!!

dont want to go higher in price either(no job right now)want her to eat a good brand,just lower calories..Any brands to recommend.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

My pet food store suggested Wellness indoor health. Its supposed to be better for those indoor kitties who run around less like our pudjies.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Do you have Taste of the Wild available down there? I know you don't want to do canned right now so something like that is probably your best alternative. Up here it is $40 for a 16 pound bag. It is venison and salmon. No grains and 390 calories a cup. Roxy probably doesn't need more than half a cup. When I was giving it to my house guys they were only eating around half a cup between the five of them. But they get canned as their staple.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Heidiho whats your Roxy eating now? and no canned at all?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

She eats wellness core dry food,and im sure when im not around eats some of honesys wet food.My vet told me as long as she drinks enough water she will be fine without eating wet.I have done wet before and it has always wound up getting thrown away.And now i am not working so not gonna start wet any time soon if ever.
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

i didnt know wellness had an indoor will check that out do u know how many calories in that??Or i can just pull up on computer.
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

It might be worth a shot to try ir now while you are home and able to control it easier? Starting off with smaller quantities at first so you know how much she will eat and then slowly pull the kibble away. I think you would have a better chance at her loosing weight and I dont think it really would be more expensive?

What do ya think? Does Roxy like wet food? If she does you will have a much easier transition. I changed mine 2 over to canned..they still free feed on a tiny bit of kibble but they only eat 2 kinds of canned and its only in one particular brand which makes it hard!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

i have tried sooo many different wet foods and as always all she does is lick the juice and thats it..i am gonna do the wellness indoor,just called store i go to and they carry it,and will pick up a can of wet food.,see how that goes..thx
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:44 PM

yikes, Ive never actually looked. Its 465calories per cup. Roland doesnt each very much dry that I can see though so its mostly Willis and hes so skinny he can deal with it. I dont know what the average is, so I dont know if thats a lot or not. But my kitties like it.
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho View Post
i am gonna do the wellness indoor,
Problem with Wellness Indoor, or any "indoor" food for that matter, is that it has a much higher amount of carbohydrates (38% of calories) and is NOT grain-free. You'd be better off just doing portion control with the Core. Any dry food, if left out for free-feeding, has the potential to make cats fat.

The way to encourage cats to eat wet food is to pick up all the dry between meals. When you leave it out for continuous snacking, they aren't going to be hungry enough to eat much of the wet when you offer it. Instead, leave the canned out for free-feeding (yes, it's okay to do that), and only offer a small amount of dry (less than a quarter cup) at meal times. Slowly give less and less dry until they're getting all of their caloric needs met from canned.

Top-dressing the canned with extra tasty things like tuna juice, parmesan cheese, bonito flakes, pulverized kibble or treats can also help entice a cat to eat it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I am over wellness in general,tastes horrendous.so no one like any of the ones i put up here??and what is calorie content in the orjen or whatever??is it raw ??
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM

Orijen had 540 calories per cup. Its apparently a really good food. Roland wont touch it. In fact, he wont touch any food I put it in either. But the good thing is they have decent trial size bags.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
-

Yes, the Orijen has 540 calories per cup but the calories come mainly from protein and fat which is what you want for a cat. The so-called "diet or reduced calorie" kibble brands reduce the fat and increase the carbohydrate calories which is not good for their health.

The best way to get Roxy to loose weight is to feed her a grain free canned food (or raw) but if you do not want to do that then a grain free kibble is the next best.

As I said in your other thread Orijen is the best grain free kibble imo and I posted the ingredients and a link for the store locator in that thread.