Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old September 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
BassetHound Rescue Quebec

Anyone know SOS out of Alma Quebec

SOS Quebec Ontario Dog rescue GTA GREATER TORONTO AREA - ON L6S 1W8

They are wanting help but know one has any experience with this group..

"We are a group made of a few volunteers dedicated to help a Quebec pound named "Fourrière d’Alma 2007", located in a small town in Northern Québec (Alma) which also serves all the surrounding municipalities and villages which are mainly farm land, this is why the pound often gets over populated with puppies and large breed dogs"

http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.blogspot.com/ Blog

http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Basset-Hound-GuardiansGroup/ Basset Owners Meet-Up Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=322077912703&ref=ts
Facebook
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM

I realize this was posted a while ago, however when you google this rescue this is one of the top results.

I have adopted from this shelter and I recommend against going with them. I can't go into details, so you can take my word for it or not.

They have a severe lack of communication. I also don't think these dogs are coming from the place they are saying. If you watch the listings, you'll notice multiple dogs with the exact same story of why they are they. (of course this isn't the only reason)

If you don't want your heart broken, please find another rescue group.
You should be able to trust the people you adopt from.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM
-

HelenNutmeg , I never heard of them.

Aaron2 , sorry you had a bad experience with them.
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I am really sorry that you had a bad experience with them. I never heard of them and I don't know how they operate. Should this rescue be reported for their questionable conduct, but to whom??? These are some pointers to look out for! Some people pretend to be "rescuers", because there is money involved. And the public that send them donations think that their money is going to the animals. It sometimes doesn't. You have to be careful where you adopt from. Look out for their concern if the animal will be going to a good home? Check if they are eager to adopt it out, without asking too many questions? Are you filling out an adoption form, with details about you? Are they giving you a vet's booklet with all the vaccines and surgery done on your pet?? Ask for their charity number. And if you are only sending a donation, ask for a receipt. Often you will not receive one. You may end up with a sick animal that will cost you $$$ at the vet. Let alone the heartaches included. Good dog rescue groups are: Rosie, Gerdy's, Animatch and Sophie's.
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM

My family adopted a dog from this organization this past summer. We had an excellent experience and can see no reason not to use them again. The paperwork was in order, there was plenty of communication, their adoption fees are very reasonable (compared to some we have encountered), and there was follow up from the volunteers afterwards, to ensure everything was okay on our end.

Our dog came to us in good health and appeared to have been well taken care of while in their care. I agree that it is difficult to adopt a pet sight unseen, but the pictures posted were accurate. I realize that the dog stories are similar on their site, but the volunteers speak English as a second language and it may be easier for them to stick to what is written as opposed to re-writing each time.

Their site is well maintained and accurate as well. We had issues with other shelters that didn't update when animals had been adopted, didn't call or email back after multiple inquiries etc. Some of the dogs we looked at are still listed but we never heard back from the shelters, leading us to wonder how badly they want the dogs to be rescued. The SOS adoption form was reasonable, as opposed to some we have completed that were 12 pages long. Our family was actually treated very rudely and declined by another shelter....because we had kids....it made us a bad risk apparently. This despite my children having never known life WITHOUT having dogs and my husband and I being experienced dog owners.

Last edited by Sirius; October 26th, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Good to hear that you were pleased with your experience.

So many times shelters or rescues are not given a fair shake due to one or two people not being pleased with an outcome. Reasons for decline could be legit and sometimes a really good applicants are overlooked.

I am very glad to hear about your experience.
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM

SOS MIOW, was a victim of malicious slander by a specific "rescue" who used to be quite popular on this site. Luckily, the slandering rescue no longer exists as the owner was caught siphoning the rescue money and was found to be involved in a lot of other questionable actions.

Unfortunately, with SOS MIOW, the damage was done over a period of 2 years and many of you jumped on the bandwagon with inventions of stories about how we operated.

So, before you begin another long hurtful and malicious gossip chain based on one person's dealings with a rescue, be very careful .... the last thing we need is another rescue to give up because of a bunch of catty women looking to throw stones.

Old December 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

sos miow,,, considering this thread is over a year old and only one person had anything negative to say. What is the issue. So before you come on here and start bashing the forum and it's members maybe you should read the thread. It was not a gossip chain or bashing. The rescue stood 50/50 in comments until you posted something nasty.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM

About SOS Quebec Dog Rescue

Hi there,
I had a great experience with them. We got a wonderful Husky mix from them, Georgie, who was perfect in our full house -dogs, cats, kids, rabbits...
I've kept them updated, and always found them responsive. Good luck,
Bigdogs.
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenNutmeg View Post
SOS Quebec Ontario Dog rescue GTA GREATER TORONTO AREA - ON L6S 1W8

They are wanting help but know one has any experience with this group..

"We are a group made of a few volunteers dedicated to help a Quebec pound named "Fourrière d’Alma 2007", located in a small town in Northern Québec (Alma) which also serves all the surrounding municipalities and villages which are mainly farm land, this is why the pound often gets over populated with puppies and large breed dogs"
I adopted my husky Kina from this shelter exactly a year ago. Her status was *urgent when I saw her picture on petfinder. I contacted SOS right away and they were very quick to return my email. Within the week the adoption papers will filled out and they were arranging a transport for the next week. I picked up Kina at the meeting spot with all the other waiting parents. I found that they were very organized and very friendly. When my dog jumped off the truck, I didn't know what to think. I've never had a dog before. Now what I know what she is supposed to look like, looking back she was in bad shape. She was in the shelter for at least 2-3 months. They told me she was badly under weight. Her fur was a urine yellow with knots of tangeled hair all over her neck, her nails long and jagged and she was in need of a good bath. If she was in the shelter for so long why was she in this condition? I know they are unstaffed and have so many dogs, but still. It's so sad. It's been a year and Kina is a beautiful girl with fluffy soft white hair and I know she's so happy! SOS was very good at promptly getting rid of the animals, as far as caring for them, I'm not so sure. As far as choosing a dog shelter to adopt from, I do not discriminate. The animal does not have a choice on where it ends up. I know people who will not adopt from certain shelters because of what they've heard but every dog needs a chance at a good life. If I ever did adopt another dog I would adopt from SOS (Alma) again just because I had a pretty good experience. Not that Kina would let me share my attention with another pup!
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastig View Post
I adopted my husky Kina from this shelter exactly a year ago.

It's been a year and Kina is a beautiful girl with fluffy soft white hair and I know she's so happy! Were going to need proof ...
picture or two?

As far as choosing a dog shelter to adopt from, I do not discriminate. The animal does not have a choice on where it ends up. I know people who will not adopt from certain shelters because of what they've heard but every dog needs a chance at a good life. If I ever did adopt another dog I would adopt from SOS (Alma) again just because I had a pretty good experience Great Attitude
Thank you for adopting a sheltered dog - again, congratulations!
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Sos qc on dog rescue

I'm new to the forum and about to adopt from SOS QC ON DOG RESCUE. I've read the discussion threads and am pleased to read that many of you have had good experiences with the organization. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss their experiences with me and tell me what I should expect upon arrival.
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:09 AM

I'm glad to see people have had positive interactions with this rescue. I am contimplating filling out an application for one of their pups I saw on Petfinder. I emailed them this afternoon and have had a reply already with the application form. I was surprised at how quickly they responded I have been looking at the little guy for over a week at least twice a day on petfinder and he really has stolen my heart
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:00 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj601 View Post
I'm glad to see people have had positive interactions with this rescue. I am contimplating filling out an application for one of their pups I saw on Petfinder. I emailed them this afternoon and have had a reply already with the application form. I was surprised at how quickly they responded I have been looking at the little guy for over a week at least twice a day on petfinder and he really has stolen my heart
good luck with the adoption bj601 !
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks Frenchy! I have been filling out the application for the past hour I keep deleting and retyping and deleting lol.

Brenda
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj601 View Post
Thanks Frenchy! I have been filling out the application for the past hour I keep deleting and retyping and deleting lol.

Brenda
Just go with the truth Brenda. It's important for the rescue to know your situation. So they can make the perfect match between the dogs and their forever families. Don't be discourage if they say they have another family best suited for this dog , they may just also suggest another dog , better for you and your family. I'm just saying , this can happen when many people apply for the same dog.

Keep us posted !!
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAT79 View Post
I'm new to the forum and about to adopt from SOS QC ON DOG RESCUE. I've read the discussion threads and am pleased to read that many of you have had good experiences with the organization. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss their experiences with me and tell me what I should expect upon arrival.
i have been approved for adoption from SOS Quebec Ontario Dog Rescue ( sos.qc_ondogrescue@hotmail.com) but i have yet to read a thread from anybody that has actually gotten a pet from them and i was curious as to how long it took for the pet to get to ontario bc they are saying it may take a month? does this seem correct and or reasonable? and they want the spay/neuter money first ($200) as well as the $100 deposit? before i send my money i just want to get as much info first as i can to be safe. does anyone know how one could verify them as a legit business/charitable organization or whatnot? thanks
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM

Hi everyone;
I am new to the forum so please bare with me...
I have recently been approved for adoption for a gorgeous pup from SOS. Our application was approved within 24 hours and we are told that we will be able to pick him up mid-April.
I have nothing but amazing things to say thus far in the SOS process. They provided me with tons of references (of which I called all that spoke English) and all had wonderful things to say. Including the vet in Brampton that deals with many of the pets that come from there.
Josee has been wonderful at promptly answering my 5000 emails a day asking questions about my pup. I will keep everyone posted on if/when we get the puppy.
I have some small concerns after reading these posts that we will have to wait forever for him to get here...but it seems that if the puppy actually gets here they are all in relatively good shape and eager for new homes.
I hope I will be able to post a successful pick up soon. It seemed Josee was going to see her parents and leaving before the end of the month. She said she would return with our puppy...I'll keep you posted.
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM

Hi everyone,
I was just "approved" last night and Josee told me that we'd be able to pick up the dog the third week of April as well! I have adopted before from an amazing rescue place in Whitby and he was 450$ with his shots, neuter and everything. He came from the states so there was also a "transport" included, so I am wondering why these guys are so much money? I also got the email about the 200$ neutering retainer fee and my husband is less than impressed about sending money before recieving the dog. SO basically I am wondering the same thing as thathirdrail - can anybody vouch for this recue place before I send them any money?? Thanks
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:30 PM
-

My pup-phew came from SoS. It did take some time but they were bringing ALOT of dogs at one time (via horse trailer). There were some MINOR miscommunications but, that's bound to happen with so many volunteers, the odd communication barrier and eager, new mums & dads. The Boy arrived safe, sound, clean, healthy and adorable and the volunteers who made all the connections were
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten145741 View Post
Hi everyone;
I am new to the forum so please bare with me...
I have recently been approved for adoption for a gorgeous pup from SOS. Our application was approved within 24 hours and we are told that we will be able to pick him up mid-April.
I have nothing but amazing things to say thus far in the SOS process. They provided me with tons of references (of which I called all that spoke English) and all had wonderful things to say. Including the vet in Brampton that deals with many of the pets that come from there.
Josee has been wonderful at promptly answering my 5000 emails a day asking questions about my pup. I will keep everyone posted on if/when we get the puppy.
I have some small concerns after reading these posts that we will have to wait forever for him to get here...but it seems that if the puppy actually gets here they are all in relatively good shape and eager for new homes.
I hope I will be able to post a successful pick up soon. It seemed Josee was going to see her parents and leaving before the end of the month. She said she would return with our puppy...I'll keep you posted.
Hi There,

I'm another newby to the forum and I was so happy to find this post as my husband and I have been approved for adoption of a puppy from SOS as of last week.

Because we too are very exited to get our new dog and anxious to hear any news on our puppy's arrival I thought I would share what little information I have as I'm sure you too are just as excited. Last we heard Josee was heading up to QC this past weekend to get the dogs organized and get them ready to be fixed in the next week. Last we had spoken to her she had said that the dogs would be ready for pick up by mid April...fingers crossed. We emailed her yesterday to get further information on the dog but have not heard back yet but I'm sure she's busy rounding the pups from their foster homes.

As it sounds like our dogs will be travelling to ON at the same time. If you hear anything further on arrival times we'd appreciate it if you would share. Just out of curiousity did you get one of the French bulldog/boxer pups? If so did you get any info on the parents?

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else.
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM

HI PotRoast!
So happy that you posted!
I unfortunately have no new information then you have. We adopted "Johny" who you can see on Happy Tails on the PetFinder site under SOS....so no not one of the Boxer pups. I received an email from Josee last night just saying she made it there and that she was going to see the dogs today. I hope they are back next week--we were approved for adoption in March--so it's been a long wait. He was a little puppy then--by the time he gets here he will be HUGE! (He's a Bernese/Lab mix and we have renamed him Crosby)
He has a bed, crate, toys and everything waiting for him here..so sad to know he's still in that pound not knowing he has a wonderful home to come to. Please keep me posted if you hear anything else! I think Josee is tired of hearing from me as I email every couple of days to check the status of our little guy. I also called and spoke to her on the phone once--seemed VERY nice.
Perhaps we will meet when we pick up our new additions to the family?
Congratulations on your new pup! You seem just as excited as we are!
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:28 AM

thinking about adopting

I have been researching dog adoptions in ontario endlessly for the past few weeks. I came across Fourrière D'Alma on pet finder when I found the dog of my dreams, 'DORA'. We emailed them right away, and heard back with the application soon after. I've read this entire thread and am very scared to continue with this rescue. Someone mentioned to ask all of you, many which belong to rescues to help so if you could, please do. I have my heart set on a small dog, a poodle cross exactly. Dora is an adorable shi-poo, or the yorkie- poo. I was also searching on kijiji, there are many... is this sketchy too? However, I do desperatly want a rescue dog. Also a female because I already have a female dog. If anyone hears of anything, please keep me posted!! I live in northern ontario, am willing to drive to toronto (GTA). Thank you all. Sorry to hear about all the tragic stories with Fourrière D'Alma, and good luck and be happy to all those who have success stories.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM

Want to be aware

Petlovers forum had some interesting comments as well, that never left any final verdict of whether or not they are a puppy mill or not. Obviously, I have some concerns now about dog adoption from them.

Can anyone, prove that they are a puppy mill?

Please help.
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:19 AM

PLEASE! Stay away from kiijii!! Most dogs listed there are from backyatd breeders and puppy mills. Like someone said, there are PLENTY of purebred dogs, mixed breeds, puppies etc...in shelters, waiting for homes. For the person (sorry, can't remember your name) Who said they are willing to drive to Toronto, would you be willing to drive to Les Cedres? It's just accross the ontario border (montreal). Animatch have soooooo many dogs available for adoption right now! We have adopted MANY dogs out to people from Ontario. Please visit animatch.ca and see the wonderful dogs up for adoption! There is also rosie's, amr, kiko's...the list goes on and on! Please stay away from sites like kijijii and craig's list and stick with a reputable dog adoption place!
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM

I personally have adopted a dog from this organization and had a very positive experience! I rescued a golden retriever cross from them in early 2007 and I was very happy with the process. The only thing to be aware of is that because these are strays and you are picking your new dog online you cant be sure of what you are getting. When I picked out my puppy SOS believed she was a golden retriever and husky cross but she grew up to be very short and long. I think she's probably a golden/corgi maybe even part nova scotia duck toller. Either way I had zero medical or behavioural issues and highly recommend adopting from this organization
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

It is not a puppymill - they are a rescue group.

Listen, someone will always say something negative about a rescue. There are holes in everyday life let alone a rescue. Everyone has an opinion about something. You need to find out if this is your dream dog.

Connect with them by phone. Speak to them and ask lots of questions. You will get the feeling on whether you want to deal with them or not..but at the very least give them or any other rescue a chance.

Good luck.
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM

I am addopting from sos

hello i have been reading the posts above and have a question to doggie parents. when you were adopting your doggies did you have to go and meet the puppies at a foster home. I got a msg that we have been accepted but now we have too meet the little guy and every email i get they state that its "Please keep in mind that this is only a visit, unless this little guy is the right match for your family and vice versa " i am not to sure what to expect at this visit. mind you we already have a 3yr puppy. so maybe that is what they mean to see if he will be ok with the new guy. please let me know any help would be greatly appreciated
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Normally you are invited to visit the pups or dogs OR they come to you. This would be a normal request as they want to meet the potential families and what you can offer the dog as well as to ensure that this is a good fit. They will ask alot of questions which is also normal.

Ask them if you should bring your dog as this would be very important for them to view the relationship between your dog and this new little one.

Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old December 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM

thank you BenMax

can you tell me what kind of questions? i wrote as it seems a 3 page essay telling them about us and our puppy.

We were planning to bring him and our daughter as well who is 2yrs old. But maybe we should ask before rather then spring that on them.

I normally know that they do not like to adopt puppies to families with younge children. Our daughter is so familiar with our puppy who is 3 yrs old that never pulled his hair or chased him. she plays nice with him and trows a ball. and gives him kisses sometimes on the nose and sometimes on the tail lol what ever part is of his body

thanks