Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
You can call me DOG!

Angry Gryphon received a warning letter!

Our local Canada Post Supervisor came to our door with a “Mail Delivery Report Problem” slip. Apparently, our new mail carrier advised his supervisor that Gryphon bit his hand as he was pushing the mail through the spring loaded, double metal slots in our door.

Our regular mail person for many years, is no longer on our route. He use to push through 2 milk bone treats for each dog and this was the highlight of Gryphon’s day. Gryphon would sit midway on our staircase to watch for our old carrier and jump into action. He never ate the mail or attacked anyone’s hands, he just wanted the bone.

Gryphon is a gentle soul and has never had or shown a mean streak towards any human being. If he did in fact bite this moron’s hand, he (the mail man) would have had to forcefully push open the second slot and reach into our hallway! Furthermore, if he is as vicious as this new carrier claims, then Canada Post created this monster for pushing bones through the slot in the first place! Sorry, I’m venting!

So Canada Post suspended our mail delivery until next week to rectify the problem. We are going to buy an exterior mailbox and hang it over our wrought iron rail to satisfy the unionized carriers.

With the most recent Canada Post strike, all of our utility companies jumped on the band wagon as far as electronic/e-mail invoices and we quickley registered. With this, I could care less if we see a grumpy old letter carrier walking up my stairway again.

Ughhh! Petty people really urk me.

All done ranting!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I know you're venting and you have every right to. The carrier is probably just a jerk who dislikes dogs. My mail carrier loves our dogs and calls them to him if they are barking. I don't think he feeds them, but he talks to them and can tell they are not a threat.

I'll vent now though and say I was a little hurt by your reference to satisfying the unionized carriers. Yes I am a unionized worker. Your last carrier who liked your dogs was also a unionized carrier, my carrier who loves my dogs is a unionized carrier. And while I'm not a mail carrier as a unionized worker I'd love your dogs too!

It sucks that they can discontinue your mail for a week, but does this guy have proof that he was bitten. I agree with you Gryphon was probably just looking for a cookie. I take Shadow to work with me and somebody stepped on her toes one day and she jumped and barked and the guy said she tried to bite him (he wasn't unionized though - yes now I'm being cheeky!). Like Gryphon, Shadow loves everybody too. I told him if she wanted to bite him she would have. She simply told him to get out of her space.

Anyhow, I agree with the outdoor mailbox, it's the easiest answer, that's what I have too. Please please I'm not trying to start a fight (lord knows the union/non union stuff causes enough fights), just wanted to say in fairness your carrier would probably be just as much a jerk if he wasn't unionized!
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:58 PM
You can call me DOG!

No offense DD and appreciate your stand on unionization.

My father was a unionized worker for 30 + years and just shy of his retirement, the plant he worked for shut their doors. He never received the golden handshake he deserved and his pension was cut short because of the closure/early buy out. My father passed away 3 years after his unexpected retirement.

I personally have never worked for a unionized company/corporation and am thankful I have a wonderful career in the private sector.

I saw the carrier walking up the street this morning as I was driving and slowed down to take a look at him. He was huffing and puffing up the street carrying his mail sack and can only hope our normal carrier returns soon.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

OK...Now I'm curious! How could he tell through a closed door that it was Gryphon?

Maybe if you had him meet the dogs he'd be less fearful of them?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Slave to the Kitties

I agree with hazel, i would let him meet them. I also like the idea about the outside mailbox. But i would also tell him that if he did nip him, that it was because of him expecting a biscuit. Maybe the guy misunderstood, and isnt as much of a jerk as he looks. Geez , me defending a hooman, i must have a fever, i think i will go lay down a while.
Old August 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I certainly don't want to rain on anyone's rant, but getting bitten by any dog isn't fun....first it hurts physically and it can be quite scary as well.

I would think that mail people should know how to properly insert mail into mailboxes in order to avoid getting bitten...but if they do get bitten....should we not feel sorry for them?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Chum Mum

OH PLEASE!!! Attack of the killer springer LOL. I am certain Gryphon wouldn't bite anyone anymore than my Chum would, maybe licked to death!! Don't get me started on unions
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Honestly, it gives me the heebie jeebies that anyone would allow a slot in their door that permits someone to push possibly harmful, dangerous, poisonous things through to their pet.

Outside box ought to fix all the problems and potential problems not anticipated.

Above said, I also don't understand why fingers have to follow the mail far enough for a bite, or nibble or whatever it was.
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM
You can call me DOG!

Hazel; When the supervisor came to the door, he stated the carrier claims our dog bit him. Between Gryphon & Mollie, he's the one obsessed with the door, not Mollie.

To all; We asked our old carrier to discontinue the bone feeding a couple months ago to which he respected our request. Gryphon was getting too obsessed with door watching. Our old carrier professionally knew Gryphon's behaviour on the inside and he would only rest the mail between the outside slot and the hole in the door after discontinuing the bone treats.

He never tried to push open the inner slot, stick his fingers inside our house and push the mail entirely on the inside floor. Our old carrier was very smart and paid attention to detail and his customers.

I concur with Marko and the carriers should know how to properly insert mail into boxes especially when it's a door slot.

We're box hunting tomorrow.

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsqU4r3d View Post
OH PLEASE!!! Attack of the killer springer LOL. I am certain Gryphon wouldn't bite anyone anymore than my Chum would, maybe licked to death!!

You got that right CsqU4r3d.

If Gryphon is anything, he's a silly goofball and in his 8 years, we've never seen him try to bite or growl at any humans. A new box should satisfy the carrier's concerns.

Old August 10th, 2011, 09:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

New mail box went up on the weekend.

Gryphon took his guard this morning mid-way up the stairs in clear view of the postal carrier through the front door window.

This is what he does every morning. Old picture but it puts his daily routine into perspective.

Name:  100_1096.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  59.7 KB

Carrier approached the front step and Gryphon FLEW down the stairs (missing the last 4 steps) and eagerly watched the mail slot. He didn't bark or cause any fuss, he just stared at the slot. Nothing happened?

He stood there for a couple minutes then was distracted by momma getting ready for work and Mollie harassing him.

Box is working so far for collecting all the useless junk mail.

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

So, does the new outside mail box lock? Ours is a freestanding box with a slot on the front and then a big locking door on the back for retrieval. I ask because with just a wall mounted outside box I'd be afraid of somebody stealing the mail (although as you said, they can have the junk mail please...). We paid like $300 for our box, but it's very solid and secure.
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Whether it's a lovely Springer or a gentle sheltie, I think if dogs misjudge your fingers for a snack, it hurts. LOL. Poor guy really, but that'll teach him to be more careful. Thank goodness it wasn't a cattle dog that did it. He might be minus parrt of a digit.
DD, we paid nothing for our letterbox. It's a dinkum Aussie farm type, a drum welded to the top of a pipe, with a flap door that you lift to open. I often wish it was lockable.
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I like the sound of your mailbox GF. There's a fair amount of mail theft it seems for the purpose of identity theft, so I wouldn't have anything that didn't lock unless the mail went right in the house. Ours used to be on the door into the house, but then hubby put a gate up on the front of the porch, so he felt the need to put the freestanding box out there in case he decided to lock the gate.
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

You certainly wouldn't want a letterbox like mine in town. LOL. Wonderful that Dee-O-Gee is protecting her boy by putting up a new one.
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM
You can call me DOG!

Our mailbox was 11.99 at Canadian Tire and it matches the white shutter-- minus a lock.

As it is mounted next to the front door, who needs a locked mail box when you have 2 dogs keeping a watchful eye on everyone that walks up to the front door.

So far, so good!

Old August 12th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

We have an outside mailbox too. I have a dog on premises sign in the front window. The other day I actually met our mail person (lady) and she asked if the dog was in and I told her yes and she doesn't go in the front yard unless I'm with her. So she seemed happy with that. I suppose being a mail carrier is pretty much a thankless job, not one that I would want for sure! Heck I'm just happy to not have to go to the post office anymore!! Ya Bayley barks if she hears someone outside, so I don't worry too much about our mail but then if someone really wants to steal our bills..hey you can have them!
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Senior Contributor

That bought back bad memories, pattymac, of having to go 4 miles up the road to the P.O. for the mail. It's wonderful having it delivered. Yay!!
Old August 14th, 2011, 09:24 PM
You can call me DOG!

I must say, I have been fortunate all these years to have mail delivered directly to my door. Over the past few years with most utilities set up on e-billing, I could care less if thieves chose to steal junk mail that's being delivered.

Poor Gryphon though..he's in a quandary.

He sees the carrier coming up the walkway and stares quietly at the slot...waiting. No barking, no movement. Fortunately, he's a good boy and is quick to be distracted by Mollie or other movement in the house. Hopefully, he'll get over this obession soon.

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Poor boy!!!

You have to give him something else to do when the mailman is en route. Teach him to vacuum. Or wash windows Then send him to hazel's! Please!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 14th, 2011, 09:42 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well if I train him to vacuum and wash windows, he ain't going anywhere!

Hope he kicks this habit soon.

Old August 17th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Poor pup

First and foremost,
So sorry the mailman incident happened in the first place. I dont personally know your pup, but I am MOST sure he just thought "cookie"..and crunch!

I had a suggestion of what to do when the mail man comes to keep him distracted. A nice lovely bone with penut butter in it, in another room...for that 20 min time frame will probably work. I have a dach that is OBSESSED with the tractor going by when My father in law mows the pasture we live in.
I've found a chewie in another room in the house, BEFORE he see's him, and all while the "noise" of it (he's learned the noise it makes)..keeps him quite occupied.

If you find you much prefer the mail coming into the slot. You could of course always provide a box of treets that the mail man may push one thru WITH the mail. thus....cookie monster gets his cookie, and mail man can safely hide his fingers BEHIND the cookie....instead of the other .

I have a dach that usually would go to the bank with us. they'd put a dog biscuit in the tubey thing...she loved getting it. would never EAT it as she is picky and dosent eat "crunchy" treats. but...GETTING it was the highlight of her day. When they stopped doing it, imagine HER annoyance.
She now boycotts the bank.
LOL.
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
You can call me DOG!

That was the problem renegaderuby. Our regular mailman tossed cookies in with the mail but after he left, no more cookies and a grumpy new mailman arrived.

TODAY however; was a positive day! As I was walking out the front door, I was greeted by our regular mailman! We almost bumped into each other as he was just by the door to insert mail in the new mailbox as I was walking out the door.

We chatted about the incident and he heard what happened. He further explained that this new mail guy is "not all there" and has issues. Oh Joy!!!

As we were chatting both Gryphon & Mollie came out on the front step to say hi to Mr. Mailman and he reached into his pocket and handed both of them a treat. Gryphon was in heaven and very receptive and friendly to the carrier's greeting.

It was nice to see him again but he did note that he will be transferred to a different route mid September. Hopefully Canada Post won't send us back the grumpy, not all there guy.

Old August 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Well, at least if they do get ol' grumpy back, you're all set up to accommodate him now. I'm glad Gryphon got to greet his fave mail person again!

Old August 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Yes, I realized the problem. Just thought "grumpy" may be less apt to pitch a fit, if he actually got to "feed" cookie monster something besides his finger. Oh well...maybe grumpy guts wont last long, and you can TRAIN the next one that comes along. HA!
I'm glad cookie monster and company got to see thier friend instead of grumpy today. (sorry i nickname peoples pets odd stuff) Lady I child and dog sit for has a dog name scooter and I call her scooter pooter. Even though she's not a pooter. I just cant help myself.
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegaderuby View Post
Yes, I realized the problem. Just thought "grumpy" may be less apt to pitch a fit, if he actually got to "feed" cookie monster something besides his finger. Oh well...maybe grumpy guts wont last long, and you can TRAIN the next one that comes along. HA!
I'm glad cookie monster and company got to see thier friend instead of grumpy today. (sorry i nickname peoples pets odd stuff) Lady I child and dog sit for has a dog name scooter and I call her scooter pooter. Even though she's not a pooter. I just cant help myself.

Just can't imagine Cookie Monster receiving a treat from Oscar the Grouch!

Old August 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

well maybe mail man grouchy pants (oscar) will fall in a big large hole and need help out of it, and will have time to think about his behavior. On the other hand...MAYBE it will help cookie monster do something else besides watch the front door. LOL

It never ceases to amaze me how many "buttheads" swear a dog bit them, when all they did was get thier mouth within ten feet of someone's body part.

Once had a dog I sat for be accused of growling and showing her teeth.
I told the "moron"...she smiles. and if you knew anything about dogs, you'd know she wasnt "growling" she was whining with a grumble, because she was so excited to see you.
I said...look . Put her in the house. Let her back out..she did it again. I said..see...she LIKES you.
If nothing else, I educated the goofy woman.
sigh...some people. I mean..if a dog is going to growl and try to bite...THEY are gonna have body posture you cant misread.
I think it should be posted on every other bulliten board. Dog thats happy: pic.
dog thats mad: pic.
Dog thats scared and may bite: pic...and so forth.
And for cookie monster...
dog that really really likes the mailman, and is used to cookies being shoved thru mail slot so mind your fingers : pic

:P
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I think it should be posted on every other bulliten board. Dog thats happy: pic.
dog thats mad: pic.
Dog thats scared and may bite: pic...and so forth.
I noticed this comment. Perhaps it would be of interest to know there is a website that specializes in dog bite prevention in children. It has a quiz with just such photos as you describe and invites parents and their children to take the quiz together. I don't think it needs to be confined to children. Mailpeople should take it too.

Here's the quiz: http://doggonesafe.blogspot.com/2011...-our-quiz.html

Here's the main site: http://www.doggonesafe.com/
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:03 PM
You can call me DOG!

That was a really neat quiz Longblades. I got 60%

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

AMEN TO THAT. I personally think people should have to take a course and recive a certificate before they can "reproduce" children or animals, and they should have THE ABOVE as madatory learning for every person on earth. After having worked in an animal control enviorment long ago, i have a "button" that gets pushed when dogs get accused of things due to humans stupidity. either because they were Acussed of being agressive when they really wasnt, or became agressive because something the human did.
But thats a whole nother topic, and this isnt my thread (sorry).