Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG Hazel, he's beautiful!!!!

Oh I wish I could have him. :sad: I've been threatened with a padded room if I got another one though.

How wonderful you were able to help him. You know, I give my gang tuna as a treat maybe once a month. I run it under the water so it washes away some of the sodium, but I usually give them each about 3 tblsp. They LOVE it.

It's too bad you can't keep him.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ok, so if you have dry leaves. Probably not if it's been raining so much.
The towels are fine for him. I agree with Cindy. The sniffles are from temp change. If he is going to a shelter tomorrow he is fine. You worry too much my dear. If you are really concerned put a towel over him. He will snuggle deeper. Kitties are pretty good at adjusting.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I don't know what you feed your dogs, and no cats should not be fed a steady diet of dog food, but you could try some of that. If it's kibble try it both dry and moistened. He may have been used to a dry diet and that's what he's looking for. If you use canned you could give it a try too.
I've never had a cat refuse a bit of cooked chicken, doesn't matter, breast or thigh, break it up into fine bits, if it's a touch warm and has that great chicken smell and a little of the chicken fat even better.

Cindy
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oy! Auntie Frenchy, the dogs went bejork!!! You should have seen the leaps up the tree trunk! I think Cass was making it up 10 feet!!! Kitty just laughed down at them.

I think Grace may know cats, though. She was the only one not crazed into complete mania. She kept jumping on the other dogs as if to say, "Knock it off!! It's just a cat you nudniks!!!"
Good kitty ! And good girl Grace !
Quote:

Cindy...I wish he were eating and drinking...but from what I've seen he's totally uninterested. :sad: I even put a little between my lips hoping he'd get interested, but he just doesn't seem hungry. It's worrisome.
If he's been lost for a couple of days , maybe right now he's too exhausted and just wants to sleep. Don't worry Hazel , he will be ok until tomorrow.
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Frenchy is right, he's likely exhausted and is quite happy having a nice sound sleep.

Cindy
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

There's a kitty invading Setter City . Sounds like you have everything under control. This kitty is definitely not feral, wonder if he wondered away from his owners, or was dropped off.

I am having computer difficulties (freezing all the time) so I can't read all the posts.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
OMG Hazel, he's beautiful!!!!

Oh I wish I could have him. :sad: I've been threatened with a padded room if I got another one though.

How wonderful you were able to help him. You know, I give my gang tuna as a treat maybe once a month. I run it under the water so it washes away some of the sodium, but I usually give them each about 3 tblsp. They LOVE it.

It's too bad you can't keep him.
I already have three padded rooms in various facilities around the state!

I wish I could keep him, too. I love cuddling with him. The only time he isn't purring is when he's sleeping.

Last time out, I heard a wolf howling just south of us. I'm glad Kitty is here...I worry that there might be siblings out there somewhere. :sad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
There's a kitty invading Setter City . Sounds like you have everything under control. This kitty is definitely not feral, wonder if he wondered away from his owners, or was dropped off.
Our hunch is that he was dumped. I just talked to some friends about a mile from here, closer to the campground. They tell me they get wandering cats and dogs in the yard all the time--people bring them to the campground and leave them there when they go home. :sad: That's absolutely unfathomable to me. There was a red Aussie running around last summer that was also dumped at the campground. For weeks she went back to look for her people...we finally caught her and she was just a real sweetie. Who would dump such a cool dog? :sad:

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
chronically insane.

WANT NOW PLZ.

Fedex to me!!! !!!! He looks like my pookie!! (Maxwell) WANT!!!!! Address: 222 Crazy Cat Lady Lane, New Jersey

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Swift Tribe

im with the rest fof the most part although i dont agree with the popular opinion about dog food. its better than tuna nutritionally, by a long shot!! (no offense anyone!!!) if you are worried about a perfectly balanced meal for the night, toss some canned clam or muscle of some sort in there. shrimp should work. the only real thing (other than lower protein content) thats lacking in dog food is taurine (typically).

also if you can get some humidity in there for his runny nose and eyes?? i wouldnt bother cleaning him up before the shelter tomorrow. if he has a URI, he might not want to be with the other cats until he has been on antibiotics for a few days. if you wash it off, they might not treat him until he has been exposed to the other cats.... although most shelters have URI's running around anyway.

sounds like you are doing a wonderful job Setter Queen!!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM
-

Many people think by dumping their pets in the country , farmers will take care of them or they just don't care. and leave them there so they won't have to deal with dumping their dogs at the shelter

Bailey was a dumpy. :sad:
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Doggie Wench

How long do you think it would take to de-sensitize all the dogs to having a kitty join the pack? How hard could it be ....you, Hazel, Madame Hazel, and TDFO can easily handle two dogs each and dh can hold on to the kitty while the dogs learn that he/she is a new member.

Great job taking care of the kitty HRP . I'm so glad he ended up your tree .
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:

Our hunch is that he was dumped. I just talked to some friends about a mile from here, closer to the campground. They tell me they get wandering cats and dogs in the yard all the time--people bring them to the campground and leave them there when they go home. :sad: That's absolutely unfathomable to me. There was a red Aussie running around last summer that was also dumped at the campground. For weeks she went back to look for her people...we finally caught her and she was just a real sweetie. Who would dump such a cool dog? :sad:
Our property backs onto a campground and I see cats come into our yard many times. Very sad :sad:

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Swift Tribe

(BTW at that age, boys have pretty big balls.... two of them!!! you can see them right under the anus. )

give him a big smoochies!!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He won't even sniff the dog food, W4R. He at least sniffed the tuna, but still hasn't eaten. I'm hoping he'll wake up famished tomorrow. The shelter will have species appropriate food

Man I wish I could keep him, but Cass and Cole are looking for recipes even as I type...and Brier would be happy eating the little tyke raw...
Grace, Ember, Lil Belle and maybe Ridge wouldn't take long to accept a cat, though. Macie is so darn proud of her self for treeing that Treacherous Kitty in the first place She'd keep him in shape chasing him around...not sure what she'd do if she caught him.

Cerberus would love to have a kitty to help with the housework. so would hazel...specially a sweet little cuddlin' kitteh like this one

Frenchy, I emailed the guy that has the cabin behind us and he suggested I just take the kitty down to his wood pile--"Plenty of mice to keep a kitten fed down there!" No way!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
(BTW at that age, boys have pretty big balls.... two of them!!! you can see them right under the anus. )

give him a big smoochies!!!

-ashley
There are two flat pad thingies there... hey, I'm a dog person! What can I say?

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:08 PM
-

Quote:
Man I wish I could keep him, but Cass and Cole are looking for recipes even as I type...

Frenchy, I emailed the guy that has the cabin behind us and he suggested I just take the kitty down to his wood pile--"Plenty of mice to keep a kitten fed down there!" No way!!
and let the kitty freeze to death this winter ?

With 8 dogs , there's no way you could keep him even if all the pack was ok with cats. Pack behavior .... you know , one would run after kitty , the others would follow ... and then anarchy :sad:
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
and let the kitty freeze to death this winter ?

With 8 dogs , there's no way you could keep him even if all the pack was ok with cats. Pack behavior .... you know , one would run after kitty , the others would follow ... and then anarchy :sad:
More like a lynching...

Yeah, they're pretty motivated when it comes to a chase. A cat would have no chance...which is why madame hazel keeps slapping hazel upside the head saying "snap out of it, woman!! What are you thinking?!"

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, and doesn anyone know if kitties can get tick-borne diseases? I found a tick between his shoulder blades...it was about 36-48 hours bloated (at least if it were on a dog, that's how long it would have been on). That's long enough to transmit Lyme's, anaplasmosis and the ehrlichias in dogs and humans. Should I mention it at the shelter tomorrow?

He sure was happy to have it removed and his shoulder blades scratched afterward I got tons of puuuurrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzz for that!

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Doggie Wench

I can't tell you much about kitties but when I was a little girl, we had five on our farm. None of them ever got ill and they were never vaccinated either . Don't get mad please, I was just a kid .

Maybe there were no ticks in the area I grew up in? I think they'll know exactly what to look out for at the shelter tomorrow.
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll maybe write a note to send with hubby. hazel isn't allowed to drive kitteh to the shelter tomorrow...she's too easily talked into things...

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I can't tell you much about kitties but when I was a little girl, we had five on our farm. None of them ever got ill and they were never vaccinated either . Don't get mad please, I was just a kid .
They never got sick because they didn't have a bunch of chemicals in their bodies like we do our pets today. :sad:

Hazel , I would tell the shelter. Are they a no kill shelter ?
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Hazel , I would tell the shelter. Are they a no kill shelter ?
Yes. I wouldn't send him there otherwise. If the cat kennel doesn't open up for some reason as expected tomorrow, there's another no kill shelter in an adjacent county that I'll try.

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Oh, and doesn anyone know if kitties can get tick-borne diseases? I found a tick between his shoulder blades...it was about 36-48 hours bloated (at least if it were on a dog, that's how long it would have been on). That's long enough to transmit Lyme's, anaplasmosis and the ehrlichias in dogs and humans. Should I mention it at the shelter tomorrow?

He sure was happy to have it removed and his shoulder blades scratched afterward I got tons of puuuurrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzz for that!
I think kitties can get lyme disease just like pups can. You may want to mention it to the shelter tomorrow so they can check.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

If the shelter weren't 65+ miles from our vet, I'd have him checked out before hubby drops him off... I wonder how often they get a vet in to check the newbies? Will they have to keep him isolated till they check him out? :sad:

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Doggie Wench

If neither shelter has room, can you try a vet? Ours will help every now and then if there's space available. I used to pay half the fees but now they treat the kitties for free and put them up for adoption in their clinic.
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Might be worth a shot to try the vet...but I've never seen an animal up for adoption at any vets in WI. Not sure if they're prohibited from doing it or if they just don't do it as a matter of course. I was really surprised when I joined pets.ca and read that many vets in Canada seem to do it.

Maybe now would be a good time to put a bug in their ear.

Old October 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Might be worth a shot to try the vet...but I've never seen an animal up for adoption at any vets in WI. Not sure if they're prohibited from doing it or if they just don't do it as a matter of course. I was really surprised when I joined pets.ca and read that many vets in Canada seem to do it.

Maybe now would be a good time to put a bug in their ear.

Just as long as it's not a tick.

Old October 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Just as long as it's not a tick.
Oh, no... I love ticks...keep them all for myself!

Actually, I 'spect they see a fair share of ticks already...

Old October 24th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Wow! I log on & what do I see.......Hazel's got herself a kitteh

Excellant job on the rescue, the accomodations & the meal

Little guy's probably more tired than hungry right now . He's got a wonderful attitude to put up w/8 dogs & come down on his own for cuddles

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And he came down with such grace and style! He climbed down to the lowest tier of branches on the red pine, then walked out to the very end of one of the branches. His weight bent it down and by the time he got to the very tip, it was dipping to within a meter of the ground. He just leaped gracefully to the grass from there. Just like he'd been doing it for years! I was impressed!