Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Hypothyroidism and Dr Dodds

Ok you very smart people here I need some unbiased???opinions. I am having Sasha tested for Hypothyroidism, why would I ask to send a blood sample to Dr Dodds? Does she have different tests then the pathology labs in Alberta/Canada/USA?

Dr. Suzanne took blood and will do some research herself into why Dr Dodds is so highly recommended.(yes she has heard about Dodds)

If Sasha has hypo...it is in the early stages, just some things about her that have perked the antenna up; unable to exercise/play as much as she used to, sleeping alot!!! Grumpy with Buddy. Any and all comments welcome. patti

ps Buddy is doing really well, he is coming with me to Calgary this week for my TTouch clinic.
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hi patti!!

I don't know that mine would be considered unbiased as I just love her and the work she has done
BUT... I would absolutely reccomend Dr. Dodds for a number of reasons. Her lifes work has been the study of the canine immune system, thyroid and vaccines. Not only is the test that she does is more in-depth than the general labs (she reviews the full blood panel as well and uses the results for a more accurate thyroid panel), but she also tailors the results to the breed, which none of the labs do. What may be within a normal range for one breed may be too high or too low for a different breed. What may look high or low could be influenced by something else going with the dog, which she looks for as well. She also includes her findings and reccomendations for the individual dog. It costs us $180 each time, but is worth it IMO. You can have the blood drawn at your vet then send it off yourself. It's quite a bit cheaper if you do. We sent her Nookies past CBC's, she reviewed them and then did her own thyroid panel. She doesn't charge any extra to do it and she will also keep in contact with you by email. I was amazed at how accessible she is

I'm sorry Sasha is having issues
But I'm glad Buddy boy is doing well!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Pbpatti I dont know alot about Dr Dodds but I know she is highly reccomended all over the world.

Do you remember Swaysbodyguard that used to be a member here? do you remember Sway's battle with AIHA/Immune diseases? she worked with Josh and Sway for such a long time and thats when I first heard about her. I am pretty sure there are other members here who know about her too!

I seem to remember her having a lot of knowledge about vaccines and reactions to them etc etc....if you google her name you will see a few things about her too!

Good luck with Sasha! Winston was tested too and fortunately it was not that! Speaking of your little gal! how about some pics of her and Buddy!! I havent seen them in a really long time!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Robyn, I kinda knew that you would reply ( if you here) thanks for the info. How did you send the blood sample to CA? and the $180.00 was the full amount for her testing and reading of results?

Winston, thank you for your reply also, I hope that Sasha does not have any trouble with her thyroid but these tests will tell us won't they. I have some pictures but I have not resized them to be able to post. I will try to post some soon.....just for you. patti
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you Winston will be soooo happy to see his friends!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

We didn't do it ourselves
With all the stuff I have to do, I just didn't have time to mess with it lol.
Dr. Marsdens office does it for us. The $180 covers them sending it and everything. Dr. Dodds includes her notes right on the bottom of the actual test results. I'm sure if your vet had any questions or concerns, she could email Dr. Dodds. She always responded to my emails within 24 hours
And I bet your vet would be cheaper than Dr. Marsden. If not, let me know and I'll ask him if they can collect the blood and send it off for you.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Patti, this is the link for hemopet. It has all the info and tells you how to send it to them yourself:

http://www.hemopet.org/services.html

This link actually explains why the tests done through Hemopet are superior than the labs:

http://www.hemopet.org/files/T%20%20...v%209.2010.pdf

And this link is the price list:

https://labordatenbank.com/cake/hemo...s/hemopet_form

Old August 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Robyn I will do some reading. patti