Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Tragedy to breed ignorance

Some of you must have heard of that tragedy where a baby was killed by a husky.

What happened was a horrible tragedy, but the comment of one of the animal behaviorist really makes my blood boil. He said that dogs like huskies should not be fed raw meat that still contains blood (whatever that means) to avoid triggering their instinct (hunter-killer instinct is implied).

When will they learn that raw feeding doesn't make dogs or cats more aggressive?

Here's a link to the story.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites...3_article_POS2

Jenny, the one I grew up with
Shani, the one who brought me the greatest joy
Casimir, who left far too soon
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Gotta love that!

Someone who needs his/her 15 minutes of fame.

I network for huskies which is difficult enough as it is. This for me, one a personal level is going to make my undertaking much more difficult now.

So - who wants to wager a breed restiction or a ban now for this breed? I currently have 4 huskies that I am desperately trying to save.
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
So - who wants to wager a breed restiction or a ban now for this breed? I
Breed restriction raced through my mind when I heard about the huskies attacking the baby.
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I watched that story for a couple of days now. It's disgusting how anyone in their right mind would leave a small child alone with any animal that has a strong prey drive. Pets they may be, but instinct always trumps logic! The people were stupid to assume any dog was fine to leave with children alone - they are animals, not pet rocks I mean, as much as I love and trust Byron (Lab), I still would not leave him alone with any child. It's common sense (which isn't that common, sadly).

As for raw feeding, that person is a whack job looking for a few minutes of fame. It's idiots like him/her that want to push their ideas, twisting any "facts" they provide to support their harebrained theories
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTails View Post
I watched that story for a couple of days now. It's disgusting how anyone in their right mind would leave a small child alone with any animal that has a strong prey drive. Pets they may be, but instinct always trumps logic! The people were stupid to assume any dog was fine to leave with children alone - they are animals, not pet rocks I mean, as much as I love and trust Byron (Lab), I still would not leave him alone with any child. It's common sense (which isn't that common, sadly).

As for raw feeding, that person is a whack job looking for a few minutes of fame. It's idiots like him/her that want to push their ideas, twisting any "facts" they provide to support their harebrained theories
I agree with you 100%.
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedrake View Post
He said that dogs like huskies should not be fed raw meat that still contains blood (whatever that means) to avoid triggering their instinct (hunter-killer instinct is implied).
omg what a bunch of bull !!
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Where do these people come up with this crap. I also thought about a breed ban we will be the next Italy. We can all see that the ban really worked dog bites have not decreased at all.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I currently have 4 huskies that I am desperately trying to save.
I also have one , maybe you got the e-mail too , beautiful white husky boy ... I'll wait a couple of days to network him I think
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedrake View Post
What happened was a horrible tragedy, but the comment of one of the animal behaviorist really makes my blood boil. He said that dogs like huskies should not be fed raw meat that still contains blood (whatever that means) to avoid triggering their instinct (hunter-killer instinct is implied).
I have to point out that Frédéric Labbé who was quoted saying this, is not a veterinary behaviorist. He's a trainer that is not affiliated with Dr. Martin Godbout (one of only several behaviorists in Quebec) who was also interviewed for this article. It would seem the journalist thew something together for a story without properly verifying Labbé's credentials..which would explain the ignorant comments .
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Omg,Omg the ignorance astounds me,I know 3 Huskies including Fate,they are all wonderful sweet dogs.
I really hope,Ben Max and Frenchy,that this does not stop people from adopting Huskies
I do believe,that people who love Huskies will see this horrible incident not as the norm,but as carelessness by the mother and everyone else involved.
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I really hope,Ben Max and Frenchy,that this does not stop people from adopting Huskies
I hope so too Chico2 !
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

So sad.

I think it's supreme ignorance for anyone to think that ANY dog should reason like a human. We always joke that Cooper is so easy going you could swing him by his leg and he'd just be happy for the attention. The ONLY time he growls is when he's deep in play...or dreams.

But would I ever leave him with a small child unattended? NEVER EVER EVER. He's a dog and has doggie instincts and should be EXPECTED TO BEHAVE LIKE A DOG !!

Raven has not been around small children much since we've had her. My friends little boy has come over to play with them and wants to learn how to walk them so we're teaching him. Cooper is thrilled to see him and Raven stands behind me and peeks out from around my legs. So cute. It also tells me that her apprehension might make her more apt to nip if she feels threatened.....because she a DOG !!!
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I have to point out that Frédéric Labbé who was quoted saying this, is not a veterinary behaviorist. He's a trainer that is not affiliated with Dr. Martin Godbout (one of only several behaviorists in Quebec) who was also interviewed for this article. It would seem the journalist thew something together for a story without properly verifying Labbé's credentials..which would explain the ignorant comments .
And most people who read this article won't bother to check either. And even if he was a behaviorist, that wouln't make him an expert in pet nutrition.

Jenny, the one I grew up with
Shani, the one who brought me the greatest joy
Casimir, who left far too soon
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:51 PM

No baby, or small child, should EVER be left alone with ANY dog, I don't care if it's a husky or a teacup chihuahua..omg what a horrible story.
I've known enough huskies to know they are NOT all the same. Let's not ban dogs, not while the humans are still running loose.
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Senior Contributor

huskies are still being placed around here, I placed one husky/shepherd and one pure sib yesterday. I can't see them banning them in Ontario....land of snow...dog sledding is very popular around here and we have at least 4 operators in my area alone, and one govt sponsered for upper canada village.
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
huskies are still being placed around here, I placed one husky/shepherd and one pure sib yesterday. I can't see them banning them in Ontario....land of snow...dog sledding is very popular around here and we have at least 4 operators in my area alone, and one govt sponsered for upper canada village.
Want more..I can send them your way. I come down every weekend.

Received calls that huskies are no longer wanted. Interesting.
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

have you tried Ottawa, casselman and the outaouais?? all dog sledding towns, do what I did and get ahold of the mushers in the area and send them an email with pics and ask them to forward it. My nephew just adopted a husky/akita
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM
-

Quote:

Received calls that huskies are no longer wanted. Interesting.
from rescues ?
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

send me pics(pms), I'll send along to the ones around here
Old June 10th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
have you tried Ottawa, casselman and the outaouais?? all dog sledding towns, do what I did and get ahold of the mushers in the area and send them an email with pics and ask them to forward it. My nephew just adopted a husky/akita
Melinda I cannot forward to mushers. If you have any other rescues that are willing to assist I am all ears.

Frenchy - the dogs are coming in as owner surrenders. I got 2 calls from people who know people that know me to discuss their dogs. I hope I was able to reassure them that everything is ok. This is ridiculous.
Old June 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Compromised account

This is so ridiculous.. Poor dogs.
Its gonna be same stuff as the bully ban... UGH

People are so weird.. I had a conversation witha friend yesterday, he was disagreeing with me that its the mother's responsibility, and blaming it on the dogs..

The mother will have to live with the consequences of her actions, but this just reiterates to me the importance of education and knowledge, not just about dogs, but life in general. Ignorance is NOT an excuse!
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:06 PM
-

Quote:

Frenchy - the dogs are coming in as owner surrenders. I got 2 calls from people who know people that know me to discuss their dogs. I hope I was able to reassure them that everything is ok. This is ridiculous.
You know that surrender's excuse we keep getting .... "I'm pregnant therefor , canno't keep the dog" ... wanna bet we're going to hear this one much more now.
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

This is just terrible,people who have Huskies must know their dog,know that he/she is not any more dangerous than any dog,they certainly cannot love their dogs.
I would hate to have to deal with the ignorance of people,the way you do..
Fates owners are having a second baby in september and they would not dream of getting rid of her.
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

"I'm pregnant therefor , canno't keep the dog" ... wanna bet we're going to hear this one much more now.

That one kills me I am such a Btch I always ask since you will not have time for the dog if you get pregnant again will you be looking to rehome your first kid. Or if you can not be responsible for a dog how will you be responsible for a baby. Just sad excuses for sad people
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

When this story first broke, they announced that Quebec wasn't immediately releasing the breed, and my phone rang off the hook with ppl saying "Bet it was a Pitbull", "here we go again", sad thing some of these ppl are Pitbull owners. Even they jump to conclusions when they hear dog attack before the facts are released.

My heart goes out to the family of this baby. Regardless of their reckless and careless decision to leave the baby with the dogs while they went out for a smoke. I am sure they certainly didn't intend on something like this happening. Unfortunately,bad guardianship led to tragedy, and as said by other posters, it could have happened regardless of breed.

My first grandchild is coming in August, and as much as I love and adore my Rotten Rott, and my Pitbulls, there is no way in hell I will ever leave my grandchild unsupervised with my dogs. Then again I am older and wiser, from what I understand the mother of this baby is only 17, perhaps she didn't know better.
It's an enoromous tragedy, the mother now consumed by guilt over the death of her first child I'm sure, the baby losing her life, and the dogs will I'm certain be euthanized.

Hopefully, Husky owners won't be the next target of irrational tirades calling for bans because of this tragedy. That being said, when the story broke and they weren't immediately releasing the breed involved, I received many calls from friends jumping to the conclusion that "it was a Pitbull, surely you have to see how dangerous they are now". To which I replied..."go play in traffic".
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

LMPG,had they been Pit-Bulls,it would have been printed on every newspapers frontpage,just to prove to people how safe we in Ontario are from those"vicious"dogs
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
LMPG,had they been Pit-Bulls,it would have been printed on every newspapers frontpage,just to prove to people how safe we in Ontario are from those"vicious"dogs
You couldn't be more right! Whenever the breed is not immediately disclosed I know it's not a Pitbull, in most cases anyway.
The ones that really get me is when they print "Pitbull attack" and then show a picture of a boxer, or a mastiff.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old June 12th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I am surprised the newspapers did call them "pit-bull like huskies" to sell papers.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM

LMPG, you are so right... I have always loved pitbulls, rotties, etc. and remember a quote I read years and years ago that something like >90% of dog attacks where the breed is identified as a pitbull are INCORRECT! A tragedy in itself, as it only perpetuates the vicious cycle and is completely FALSE! Slowly, I think, we are gaining and are being somewhat successful at turning around these accusations and the general public's thinking on the issue, but it is slow coming. Still, I think progress is being made, but unfortunately the media is still encouraging these false ideologies, and most of the public do not think to question the validity of it.

I am actually really happy to see that articles I have read in the Calgary paper recently about dog attacks (they have had quite a few of dogs attacking other dogs etc.) where the animal officer makes it CLEAR that breed-bans are ineffective and it is NOT the breed that should be punished! (I hate Calgary for many things, but give them a huge thumbs up for this one!)... and now that I think about it, I don't think a single attack they have had recently has involved a "bully" breed... hopefully the public will get the idea that ANY dog breed can be involved, and that a breed ban will NOT work.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
LMPG, you are so right... I have always loved pitbulls, rotties, etc. and remember a quote I read years and years ago that something like >90% of dog attacks where the breed is identified as a pitbull are INCORRECT! A tragedy in itself, as it only perpetuates the vicious cycle and is completely FALSE! Slowly, I think, we are gaining and are being somewhat successful at turning around these accusations and the general public's thinking on the issue, but it is slow coming. Still, I think progress is being made, but unfortunately the media is still encouraging these false ideologies, and most of the public do not think to question the validity of it.

I am actually really happy to see that articles I have read in the Calgary paper recently about dog attacks (they have had quite a few of dogs attacking other dogs etc.) where the animal officer makes it CLEAR that breed-bans are ineffective and it is NOT the breed that should be punished! (I hate Calgary for many things, but give them a huge thumbs up for this one!)... and now that I think about it, I don't think a single attack they have had recently has involved a "bully" breed... hopefully the public will get the idea that ANY dog breed can be involved, and that a breed ban will NOT work.
Unfortunately there was one attack where a small dog was killed by a pair of Am Staffs recently. However as tragic as that is those dogs have never been known to bite a human.
What really irks me is that when a non "pitbull" type dog attacks a human, it's usually chalked up to poor ownership, it's usually blamed on the owner. However with "pitbulls" well then it's automatically "vicious dogs".

Bill Bruce, the head of Calgary bylaw is my biggest hero, I love that man when it comes to "bully breeds". He's one of their greatest advocates. There is a special place in heaven for that man.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)