Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM
You can call me DOG!

Question Anti-Pull Harness

Does or anyone have/use an Anti-Pull Mesh Harness when walking?

I bought one today for Mollie but I haven't taken it out the package yet. She's a terrible zig-zag puller when walking.

Gryphon is a great walker but he's finding it difficult when she's jumping over him and zig-zagging all over the place!

Any thoughts or suggestions for a zig-zag puller?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
Obsessed animal lover

First of all, I would try some training with your puller - alone without the other dog. Have some high-value treats in your hand (something that he never gets other times). Hold your hand by your side (the side you want him to walk on) and let him sniff the treats. Every few steps, let him have a bite. Praise him for walking well. If he pulls, then immediately turn around and try to lure him with the treats by your side. You will have to start with a short distance, even just in your driveway. If you continue walking with your other dog, he may develop the same problems. If your dog is a small dog, you can smear peanut butter on a wooden spoon, put it in a ziploc bag, cut a corner off and hold it by your side to 'lure' your dog into position.

In terms of harnesses, I use the Halti harness. It works fairly well and my dog doesn't struggle to get out of it like the collar ones. The leash connects to the front and the other end of the leash (you're supposed to use a double-ended leash with latches at both ends) connects to the back. Anytime your dog pulls, he is forced to turn around. I only have it connected at the front but it would work better if I had both ends connected to the front and back. Out of all the harnesses out there, this one makes the most sense. To me anyway.
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:27 PM
You can call me DOG!

I tested out the anti pull harness and have to admit—it was a total waste of money. For the last three walks, I felt like Linda Blair from the Exorcist walking my dogs! I have a bruise on my thumb muscle and my right arm is killing me!

A little story….15 years ago, I walked into our local pet store inquiring about walking collars for our adolescent Golden Retriever girl Bailey. It was during the summer months and the owner of the store persuaded me to sit down on a stool and made me place a choke collar on one thigh (I had shorts on) and a prong on the other.

She had me pull up reigns on both with all my might and hold for about a minute. After releasing, the choke collar left red/ blue indents around my thigh whereby the prong left (and I swear you) nothing! I purchased the prong and that was the end of the story. 14 years of wonderful, pleasant, calm neighborhood walks with my Golden Angel.

Five years ago, I did the same with our Gryphon guy but I took him into the store with me and had it fitted properly. To date, he has responded so well with the collar that anyone who walks him (other than me) comments on his mannerism and good behavior.

Being on this forum for the past year & a half, I read people’s experiences and tried to take a different approach with Mollie in the hopes that there was something else out there that could overcome the prong. However; I am very discouraged with the products that have been tested and haven’t come across any device other than the prong that would make for a pleasurable walk.

Be that as it may, I am going to take Mollie to the store that I have been going to for 15 years and have her fitted properly with a prong.

For those on this forum, you may agree or disapprove of this choice, but it’s something that has worked for my family for 15 years and we just want to walk in harmony.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)

Last edited by Dee-O-Gee; April 21st, 2010 at 09:46 PM.