Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:04 AM

The absence of the psyillium may change the appearance of the poop and also the frequency of them going, adding enough fiber bulk to nessecetate going every day.

Any time there is a change in food/supplements it may take a few days to rebalance the system.

If it gets to 3 days without poop or she looks to be straining that's when I would worry, my grrl is raw fed and poops every other day.

I would think the extra snuggles is a reaction to you being sick. Get better soon I've had strep throat several times and it ain't fun.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM

Hi guys, thank you again for the help. Daisy's constipation has actually gotten worse. :sad:

I also found out last night that I needed to be admitted to the hospital, so I'm not sure if some of her distress/extra cuddliness was partially because she knew something was wrong. I think she knew something wasn't right, and didn't want to leave my side. My baby.

As soon as I get out, I'm going to take her to the vet just to make sure there isn't something really wrong, and then I'll need to revisit the whole diet issue.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:39 PM

If her constipation has gotten worse it is time to ask the doctor about PEG 3350 (in Canada) or Miralax (in the US)....my Lexus is on this stool softner for her constipation and it works. I have heard that it works great for many other people as well. Is she at the point where you have to take her to the vet for an enema? How many days has she gone without passing a stool? Lexus would go for 4-5 days without passing a stool. Now that she is on Miralax she is regular but I do have to play with it a bit to keep her regular. It is an odourless, tasteless powder. I put the amount into a tbsp of her canned food (I also add a bit of water) - I make sure she eats it all and then put the rest of her food down. She doesn't even know it is in the food.
Let me know what your thoughts are on this
Take care!
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Have my fingers crossed for you that you feel better and for the kitties to get back to normal. If normal for them means a bm every second day or so don't worry about it. Have them checked at the vets but please don't be in too big of a hurry to put them on meds for constipation. I sometimes think dosing kitties all the time just adds to the problems. What happens when/if the meds stop working? JMO As growler said sometimes a change in diet will make things come to a stop for a while. The psyllium would have kept them regular and probably pretty cleaned out. Now you have to give the pumpkin/squash a chance.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM

I hope Daisy's constipation issues is only diet related. And if she is only going without a stool for 2-3 days then I wouldn't be overly concerned. Even though my vet says that cats should be passing stools every 1-2 days. I don't feel comfortable giving the psyllium husk (I have heard that it also can cause contipation) but if it was working with Daisy then this may be right for her. And will help you to feel more at ease.

In my case I tried everything to get her to become regular - diet change (tried many different things by adding and deleting to her diet), added water, pumpkin, squash, lactulose, excersise, etc. and nothing worked. Miralax does not absorb into the cats body. It passes right through the cats intestines and takes water from the intestines to help with making the stool softer so cat can release the stool. Sometimes if everything else fails you have to use whatever you can to help in making your kitty regular. If contipation is left too long then Megacolon can occur and the cat's muscle will not be able to push out the stools on their own and will have to be put on medication - period! Most likely for the rest of their lives.

I pray your kitties constipation is just a phase she is going through and you will get it under control. I do know how frightening it is to have a constipated kitty. Lexus has had to have several enemas (and those are not fun for her :sad
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM

One thing I just thought of that you could also try with the pumpkin is a bit of liver every couple of days (I feed mine chicken liver b/c they don't like other livers). Also, I like to drizzle a few squirts from a salmon oil capsule into my cats food. This is supposed to help with constipation as well. Be careful on the liver because it can have the opposite effect if given too much - diarrhea!