Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 18th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

The Greyhound

I saw something on tv last night about how they breed them and when they are done racing the horrible some of them get discarded,my goal is to save an animal from a shelter,but when i heard about this breed i thought this may be the perfect dog for me..Does anyone know about Greyhounds???????
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I just went to adopt a greyhound website and i must say it sounds like the perfect dog for me..........Anyone out there with any knowledge on them would be appreciated.
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

first got interested in greyhounds when my husband bought a racing one. It was such fun watching the dog race and even better when he won. When we decided that it was time for him to retire we bought him home to live with us.

Many people are put of having a greyhound as a pet because they have many false impressions of them. The main one is that they need alot of exercise. This is totally untrue. Greyhounds have a surge of energy but it really doesn't last long. The average greyhound race lasts 30 seconds and that is the dogs work done for a week!! If my dog goes out for an hours walk, then he spends the rest of the day fast asleep because it has totally worn him out!!

Another impression people have about greyhounds is that they a vicious. This couldn't be further from the truth. They are one of the most docile breed of dogs around. I have two children, the eldest being three, and she bosses the poor dog around and he just sits there and ignores her! The youngest is nine months and her favourite game at the moment is trying to pulls the dog eyeball out of its socket. Once again he doesnt take any notice and doesnt even bother to move away from her. It has been said that greyhounds are one of the best dogs to have when you have small children as they are so placid.

The one thing that you do have to be careful with is food. Greyhounds love it!! Some people think that because they are such skinny dogs they dont really eat much.....WRONG!! My dog will eat and eat and then he will stil scrounge for more! The problem comes when they gradually change shape and you look at them one day and instead of being the lean racing machine that they once were, they have turned into a barrell. Being this overweight isn't good for any animal it puts such a strain on their little hearts so please be careful.

So what will a greyhound expect from you. Will they will want food, alot of love and a nice comfy sofa to lay on......so go on.... ..rehome one and you too will enjoy the love and loyalty of a good dog.

Advantages Disadvantages

Docile and full of love they do love to take over the sofa

back to product Greyhound
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Terrible, cruel things are done to racing greyhounds who aren't fast enough, or have finished their racing days. They are shot, hung, beaten and left to starve to death.

I fostered a few racing greyhounds, and they were quiet, sweet, docile and affectionate housepets. And yes - couch potatoes. They have NO body fat and they are intolerant of high heat or extreme cold and must wear a coat.

If you want to adopt a ex-racer, try and find a rescue who has already gotten them used to things like stairs, shiny floors and other household things because the racing greyhounds have never seen these things before. They spend their lives either muzzled and caged, or on the track.

Greyhounds can be predatory to small animals and even to small dogs, since they are hunting dogs. And of course you can NEVER let them off leash unless in a safe area.

You will probably make lots of friends when out walking a greyhound, since people are attracted to their elegant and beautiful lines and sweet faces.

Quote:
The youngest is nine months and her favourite game at the moment is trying to pulls the dog eyeball out of its socket
I can't imagine anyone allowing a child to do this to any dog, no matter how gentle - and even greyhounds have limits.
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

think Greyhounds are the almost perfect dog. But that doesn't mean you will. And even if you do think retired racers are perfect that doesn't mean that you and a retired racer are right for each other.

Many people adopt dogs for all the wrong reasons or without knowing anywhere close to enough about the breed or about dogs. As careful as the best adoption groups are about choosing the right adopters for the right dog, dogs still end up being relinquished--returned-- to adoption groups. The reasons for the returns, called bounces, are often incomprehensible to me. The biggest problem in Greyhound adoption is that living with a Greyhound often looks too easy. When an adopter brings a retired racer home, at some point he realizes he is living with a real dog--and a very large dog at that. Real dogs have real needs. Take the time to learn what you need to know to make your match a successful one.

It's my opinion, as someone who works with problem dogs for a living, that the more often a dog is rehomed, the more likely it is to develop behavioral problems. And naturally the more severe the problem, the less adoptable that dog becomes. I can hope that educating prospective owners and asking them to be truly honest with themselves will help keep every Greyhound in the home in which it is originally placed.

Everyone involved in Greyhound adoption goes through horrible turmoil because of retired racers that are bounced. They second guess their placement strategies and policies, they question if they should have or could have seen something that might have prevented each unsuccessful adoption. They lose sleep and shed tears and wonder why they keep doing adoptions.

So I'm going to do all I can to convince you not to adopt a retired racer. Every item on this list relates to a reason that has resulted in a retired racer being returned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 Reasons NOT to Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

1. They shed.

Yes, they have a short light coat. Yes, they are easy to groom and maintain. But they are dogs and like every other breed that has fur they do shed. They shed lightly, but they do shed. Get used to it or get a stuffed toy. If you don't think you can become accustomed to thinking of dog hair as a condiment, don't get a real animal.

2. No matter how gentle Greyhounds look, they are still large to very large dogs.

An overly excited, untrained 45-95 pound Greyhound may knock down smaller children or a a frail person. And Greyhounds tend to hold their ears back and their tails tucked and balk when they are stressed. Folks that don't know the breed might mistake this for aggression and find it too frightening to live with --especially in a dog this large.

3. Dogs and lawns are not a great combo.

Unless you have a very large yard that you can section off so your dog has his own area, it isn't likely that you can have a great lawn and a greyt dog. Get used to it or get a cat so you can use a litterbox. Greyhounds love to run and while they don't need a lot of exercise, when they run they will destroy your landscaping. If gardening is your passion, a dog who loves to run may not be your best choice.

4. Dogs make messes.

Even the best mannered, best trained dog gets sick. and if he gets sick, he isn't going to rush to the kitchen or the bathroom or some other easy to clean surface. The rugs are where the traction is--that's where he'll barf. Even elegant-looking dogs like Greyhounds get gas, barf, and/or get diarrhea at some time in their lives. Dogs track in dirt. Dogs and fancy furnishings, expensive rugs, and elegant decor aren't a good mix. If you can't stand a little dirt and fur, if fancy things are really important to you, or if your life's dream is replacing Martha Stewart, don't get a dog--even a quiet, clean dog like a Greyhound.

5. Greyhounds love (and need) soft, warm places.

If you want a dog that you can house outdoors or if you can't stand the idea of a dog on your bed or furniture, this is not the breed for you. Greyhounds are not suited to living outdoors and those bony joints need padding and a soft warm place to rest.

6. If you don't have time for a child, chances are you don't have time for a dog.

If you have children and all your time is spent at soccer games and school activities, unless your Greyhound can be part of the activities, you don't have time for a dog. Dogs are social animals that need physical and mental stimulation. And just because they are quiet, gentle dogs, doesn't mean they don't need to be trained. Training isn't about obedience as much as it's about forming a trusting relationship and establishing a way to communicate.

7. Dogs and children are not as compatible as Hollywood would have you believe.

Greyhounds have little padding and they have skin that tears easily.They have little protection from falling toddlers or rowdy children. They have a quiet nature and do best in a tranquil environment. If any of your children are under school age or your kids are particularly active, don't get a Greyhound.

I'd even go a step farther and tell you don't get any adult dog if you have young children. Dog bites are one of the leading causes of death in children. And I can assure you, biting a child is a leading cause of death in dogs. If you insist on combining children and dogs, research breeds very carefully and commit yourself to learning and taking all the steps necessary to make the combination work. See the Resource Review section for more information.

8. Just because your lifestyle and interests change doesn't mean you can abandon a dog like a used toy.

Divorces, job changes, relocations, and new babies happen. If you can't be as close to certain as humanly possible that your retired racer will be part of your life for all of his life, don't adopt.

9. Greyhounds are easy live with but they do have special needs.

Their lack of body fat, long thin bones, fragile skin, and sensitive souls means they need to be protected from extremes of temperature, rough environments, and inappropriate handling. Thousands of years of breeding to build quick reaction times, create blazing speed, and to foster work away from and independent of human direction means they must be kept safely in fenced areas or on leash at all times.

10. Adding a retired racer should never be an impulsive gesture.

Don't adopt because you feel sorry for them or because it's fashionable. To paraphrase a bumper sticker from the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, A dog isn't just for Christmas. It's for life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I've given you reason you shouldn't adopt, Let me share a chapter from Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies. I've adapted the chapter and the contents slightly to fit this format.

10 Reasons to Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

I can give you almost 25,000 reasons to adopt a retired racer. That's the estimated number of retired racers who were available for adoption each of the last three years (based on calculations from the National Greyhound Association and the American Greyhound Council). Only 18,000 retired racers are being adopted annually, which means that more than 7,000 Greyhounds are still needlessly being put to death every year.
But, just because I can't think of any reasons not to adopt a retired racer, doesn't mean they're the right dogs for you and your lifestyle. Do your research carefully before you make a retired racer or any dog a part of your life.

1. You know what you're getting when you adopt an adult dog.

Regardless of breed, adult dogs make good adoption choices. You can easily put your common sense aside when you look at a cute little puppy and make choices only from your heart. But many people who get a dog because they couldn't resist that cute puppy face live to regret it, because they don't realize what they're in for. Looking at an 80-pound dog is good reality therapy. When you adopt an adult dog, you get to see the adult personality and temperament. The temperament a dog has as an adult is often different than what you would have seen in the same dog as a puppy. You also get to see the physical characteristics of a full-grown dog. You know exactly what size the dog is going to be. That can make it easier to make a good choice. Plus, aside from getting a great companion, you just plain feel good about adopting a grown dog whose fate is otherwise uncertain at best.

2. Adult dogs require less work than puppies do.

As cute as puppies are, they are a lot of work. Aside from having to be housetrained, puppies teethe, chew, and need much more exercise and attention than adult dogs. And the work doesn't last for just a few weeks. Many breeds have the characteristics of puppies until they are well over two years old.

3. Retired racers are great house mates.

Retired racers are low-maintenance. They require minimal grooming; their exercise needs are low to moderate for a dog of their size. They're compliant and have a personality that helps them adapt quickly to a new lifestyle. Most Greyhounds are naturally laid-back, well mannered, and sensitive. Plus, they're intelligent and respond well to the right training methods. Sounds like a great house mate to me!

4. Retired Racers adapt to a variety of lifestyles.

A retired racer isn't perfect for every family, but he can fit perfectly into almost any lifestyle, as long as you take the time to pick the right retired racer and teach him what he needs to know to be a valued family member. Retired racers are adaptable and do well in loving homes with families who understand their needs. They deserve no less.

5. Greyhounds are gentle and quiet.

One of the misconceptions about retired racers is that they are aggressive dogs because most people have only seen photos of Greyhounds racing, with muzzles covering their faces. The muzzles are used to help protect racing Greyhounds from injury and to determine the winners of close races. Outside of the racetrack, however, Greyhounds are usually quiet, gentle, docile, and compliant. If you're looking for a watchdog, choose another breed. They blend well into families with well-mannered children. Most Greyhounds love the company of other dogs, and many live happily with cats as well. Some Greyhounds adapt well to homes with very small animals.

6. Greyhounds don't need much exercise.

Another myth about Greyhounds is that, because they're bred to race, they need lots of room to run and constant exercise. But Greyhounds aren't marathon runners; they're sprinters. At the track, they only race once or twice a week. In homes, however, they romp for short bursts and then turn back into couch potatoes. While a fenced yard is best, a daily walk or two and a chance to run in a fenced yard or field from time to time are sufficient.

7. Greyhounds are very clean.

The coat of Greyhounds is so light and short that grooming is a breeze. They shed only lightly. Many Greyhounds groom and clean themselves much like cats do. Their coats aren't oily, so they aren't as prone to doggy odor as some breeds are.

8. Retired racers are healthy.

Retired racers are free of many of the inherited ailments that plague other breeds. For example, hip dysplasia is virtually unheard of among Greyhounds. Their average life expectancy is longer than that of most large breeds--12 years or more.

9. You can find the racer that is right for you.

With nearly 25,000 retired racing Greyhounds available each year, you can "design" your perfect dog. Know what color you want? You can find a Greyhound to match. Know what size you want, from 40 to 100 pounds? You can find a racer to fit your needs. Want a couch potato or a fishing buddy? No problem. Need a dog who can live happily in the city? You'll find him. Want a companion for your aging mother? There's one that fill the bill. Whatever you're looking for, somewhere there is a retired racer waiting to race into your life and into your heart.

10. Greyhounds are fun.

Many adoption groups have an annual reunion picnic and sell the obligatory event T-shirt. Our group's T-shirt from last year's reunion picnic said it all: " Life with a Greyhound is one big picnic." And that's why most of us have more than one.

Home
About
Book
Training
Care
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky that is exactly what i just read about them,everything you said.I SWEAR THE MORE I KEEP READING ABOUT THEM THE MORE I AM REALIZING THIS DOG WAS MADE FOR ME
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Remember the first rule of housebreaking is CATCH THEM IN THE ACT. People always say, "they know they did wrong because they look guilty." Your greyhound is not capable of guilt — they look worried becaue they know you are upset, but they don't have a clue as to why.
Greyhounds are crate trained dogs — meaning they don't do their business in their crate but go to the yard (turn out area) to do their business. In a kennel environment they are used to someone coming along every 5 hours or so and letting them out — they don't know they are supposed to "ask." They actually more closely relate "waking up" to "going out" than anything else. If some disturbance "wakes" the kennel between turnouts many times the dogs will have accidents.

You are now going to teach your greyhound that the house is the crate — certainly the largest crate they've ever seen — and the yard is the turn out. In the beginning they may see the main living area as the "crate" but to them the door that goes to the yard, and the door that goes down the hall, are the same. They both go "outside" the crate. Your job is to teach them that the door to the yard is the correct one and the hall is still part of the crate.

You do that mostly by paying very close attention. If they go down the hall, you need to go also and guide them back to the correct door. If you allow your greyhound full, unsupervised run of the house, and they get in the habit of having accidents in the spare room, it is much harder to teach them.

Squirt bottles work well to discourage males from marking — a quick spray and a sharp "no" will make them quickly stop and go outside.

If your greyhound starts to have an accident -- a sharp no and a shake of the collar and then getting them outside right away will usually serve to teach them. They are dogs that want to please and will mostly react without a lot of yelling or hitting.

Praising them when they go outside also helps to reinforce the good behavior.

When putting them out before bed or before leaving for work you want to make sure they are staying out long enough to really finish. Sometimes they will run out and quickly do just enough to run back in & get praised but not enough to be able to go through the night or through a day of confinement.
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Like i keep saying perfect dog...Crate trained dog,it almost sounds to good to be true....................
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:32 AM

Heidi....why does it look like you're talking to yourself?
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I know ..HEE HEE I thought that myself i keep seeing all this info about them and am so excited i cant help it.............................................
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:53 AM

There was a recent study done. It showed that talking to oneself increased work performance. Of course that same study said that one shouldn't answer oneself.
Do I see you answering yourself? Hmm?
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Heidi you are losing it but I agree this might be the perfect fit for you. I have met quite a few of these retired Greyhounds and talk about sweet the lady down the street has 3 she calls them her 40mph couch potatos. My suggestion is that you talk to one of the rescues and find one that you think will fit your life and foster with the option to adopt. But I did read something out of Florida today that they have added slot machines to the greyhound race tracks and the rescues feel that this is going to see tracks closing (Yeah) but the sad part is the dogs will be the ones to pay the price and will be abandoned or euthanized or abused and this is distressing the rescues. They feel that they will be inundated with dogs and not nearly enough homes or fosters for them. Does anyone know how well they socialize with other breeds. I have only met them with Buddy casually when we are out for our walks and we have walked with them but not in a play situation. Just curious
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

heidi,I was just wondering,do you still have Damien?
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Mona no i dont ,but he is doing awesome,he is with a lady that owns a dog bed and breakfast,his name is now Danny,he has started his trainging for service dog,she takes him to church and didnt think damien was an appropiate name....She actually sounds very proud of him and wants me to see him and what he has learned,i do like to think i had some part in how well he learns things....
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

My only worry is if they run away from you, you're screwed! (good luck catching them!)
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I know i read that also,never ever let off leash..Believe me i would be very very very cautious with this dog if i get one....I would never catch it,i could see it now,me with cigarette dangling out of mouth running after a greyhound what a comical vision that is...
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

What happened?Why did you give him up?

Sorry for the questions,but I haven't been on for a while and just need an up date.
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

As your article said, there are so many greyhounds needing homes, you can get one that is perfect for you!

I really think this might be a better choice for your situation than a high-drive, high energy working dog like a GSD.

These greyhounds are not used to getting attention, and they are used to living in crates, so no crate training needed. Of course, once the dog is settled in it won't need to be crated all the time.

They housebreak easily and many rescues will have them already housebroken before adoption.

Quote:
Does anyone know how well they socialize with other breeds.
Most greyhounds can learn to get along with a variety of other animals, unless they are highly predatory and then cats, etc are out.

Greyhounds from the track might be 5 years old and have never EVER seen any other breed of dog. One of my greyhounds was not good with small dogs, simply because he didn't know what they were. But with proper introductions, they could be good with other dogs although I probably wouldn't introduce some of them to very small dogs which they may see as prey.

Other greyhounds can be fine with all animals. I did see a huge 90lb greyhound leap into the air at a recent adoption event to try and snatch a Yorkie from it's owners arms, so common sense must be used.
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

WEll besides the food and toy agressive issues,when i took him back home with me..Long story short i ahd a boyfriend come over and stay the night,so i put damien in crate shut the bedroom door,was fighting with bf..Next morning Damien would not eat and would not let me pet him,i thought ok he will get over it,but this went on for about 2 and a half weeks i would go to pet him when i did he would growl at me,i would throw him the ball he would take it and go in crate..ICOULD NOT pet him or anything without him growling at me ,talked to my vet he said I should re home him while he is young...And if i did not find the perfect place for him i wouldnt of let him go,but i did and i have seen him with her and he is very happy she has huge backyard a rottweiler and mastiff that are hers and i am am finally ok with what i did,so i know in my heart i did the right thing and it doesnt matter what people think about what i did...................And yes i will be getting a dog,just taking my time trying to find the right one for me and i think the geyhound will be it..
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes heidi,you did do the right thing.Something we told you to do in the begining.But we won't get into that.

A friend of mine adopted a Greyhound.I'm trying to put the pic up,but I'm having troubles doing it.But I will keep trying.And a neighbour has 2 that they rescued.
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I loved him that is all i can say also.......This breed sounds just great...................................
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah i want to see the pics,try to get them..
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I know you did.

I'm trying,but i'm getting nothing when I click on Manage Attatchments,it's doing nothing.

I'll try again later..I better get some sleep.I'm on nights and doing 12 hours, with not much sleep is a killer.
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is one of the dogs I fostered. His track name was "Hello Archer" and he must have been fast as he lasted 4 years on the track.

Mona - hope you get some much needed rest!
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Good night,thanks..Ok someone just told me i do not want this breed because if i am walking it,it will try and chase anything small it sees>>>Any opinions on that..
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

HOw cute,what do you think of them???
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

chasing

Our neighbour has one that he adopted. He is shy , quiet and very reserved when meeting a new person or animal. He definitely is not a chaser on leash. Greyhounds can jump high heights I believe.. LR may be able to confirm this.. We had friends in Niagara who adopted one and they went from a 6 foot fence to an 8 foot fence as when playing catch a few times he scaled it and over he went. I don't know if this is common for all of them though?
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ok someone just told me i do not want this breed because if i am walking it,it will try and chase anything small it sees
Most of the racing greyhounds are taught to walk properly on leash, and should not lunge or pull. Like any dog, they may want to chase prey but can learn they may not do so on leash.

One thing about greyhounds that I loved - they do NOT sniff every blade of grass and stone on a walk. Since they are sighthounds, scent is not that important to them, so they also don't stop and pee 50 times on a walk.

Mine walked with their heads up, always scanning in the distance for anything that moved.

Couple other things - most greys cannot "Sit" due to their very long, and powerfully muscled legs. They usually either stand up or lie down.

They MUST have raised food bowls and cannot eat off the floor.
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

There is this lady i see every sat,walking two greyhounds on a busy street out here,and they seem to walk fine..
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I just talked to someone who knows about the breed and he said no they will not take off like that on leash,the only thing he said would be of concern is 8 hours home alone,but he said that is still ok,most people do work 8 hours a day....