Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Britadian

Dog wants the Cat food

I have the cat food and the dog food separately (dogs in bathroom and cats in the kitchen) however Lola wants to eat the cats food and hardly any of her own! I am feeding the dog Taste of the wild and the cat just gets friskies dry food with the occasional PC meat sachet.

How do I stop the dog from eating the cat food apart from repetition "NO". And could I switch the cat to something that they would both benefit from (the cat is 17lb so the LAST thing he needs is extra calories!!
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
-

I have both dogs and cats and there's no way IMO to keep dogs out of the cats food other than to put the cat food out of dog's reach. Is there any other place you can put your cat's plate ?
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:29 PM
-

Cat food in my house is fair game for the dogs if it is down when they are in...a NO doesn't cut it, they carry on eating until I pick the bowls up . Iggy is an exception, he is a complete and waits until you pick it up to see if there are any scraps on the floor.
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You said the last thing your cat needs is extra calories so how about taking the cat off dry food and try feeding a good quality canned instead? It is much healthier for your kitty and he will love you for it. You can put the plate up high as already stated to keep the pup away from it.
A good site to read is: catinfo.org. You will be amazed at the wealth of information in it.
I would be more concerned about your kitty getting into your dog's food as it does not have the nutrients needed for a cat to thrive. Just my

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM

I have a dog (who is the world's biggest glutton) and I'm getting a kitty in a week. I've heard that this can be a problem, so my solution is that the cat food is going in the cat room (my spare bedroom), which has a gate with a cat door. The cat can go in and out, but Buddy (my dog) can't.
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Investigative researcher

I would never expect a dog to learn to leave cat food alone--unless you stand over the cat food all day to protect it!
Having had cats and dogs for 50 yrs-- cat food is always put where the dog cannot reach it--on a high shelf or table in an area the dog doesn't usually go. As in all training, prevention is 100% better than an attempt after the fact to change behavior.
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

My cats are fed where the dogs can't get to their food. Up high on a dresser in their room and I have dishes for them on the stairs where the dogs are gated off.

clm