Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:01 PM

How much of this do feed?

http://www.royalcanin.ca/products/tc/nb/puppy_en.php

I was going to feed my new pup raw, but I'm just not ready yet. When to petco and looked around other stores and this is the best food I could find for now. I found a place in town that makes pre made raw, which I may try depending on price to wean my pup on raw once he's done this bag of food, and then try raw on my own later when I feel more comfortable (and have better transportation to look for deals)...

Anyway by the link above, the feeding guidelines, Jude is 11 pounds now, so 3/4 cup is the guideline... Is this per day? Or per feeding... It must be per day right because no where does it say how may feedings per day, and everyone feeds different times/amounts...Help?
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Yes, that indicated amount is per day.
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
-

There are better quality brands to feed imo.

I checked the link you provided but they don't even list their ingredients anymore so I can't point out to you which ones are undesireable. I know they used to include menadione sodium bisulfite complex which is a synthetic form of Vitamin K and believed to be linked to cancer.

Take a look at this website www.dogfoodproject.com and click on the "Ingredients to Avoid" link on the left hand side of the page. There is also a link just for menadione and all the other links have excellent information as well.

Another website with great information is www.dogaware.com and check out the highlighted links there as well.

If you are wanting to eventually feed your puppy raw then I would feed him a grain free kibble right now.

There are several brands but my favourites are Orijen and Acana Provincial (www.championpetfoods.com). A lot of members here feed these brands and have great results.

Good luck and if you have further questions there are lots of members here that will be able to help.
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM

quite aware that this isn't the best food. I'm trying to locate a source closer to me, checked a lot of the pet places, and I picked the best I could find at the moment. I will be ordering online or going further for the next bag. I just never realized we were so limited here.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

The amount listed is per day and you can divide it into whatever number of feedings you choose. Personally though, I never use the feeding guidelines. I go by how my dogs look and feel and adjust the amount I feed accordingly.

Btw rainbow, I clicked the link provided and was taken to a page that did include the following list of ingredients:

Ingredients:Chicken meal, whole brown rice, chicken fat (naturally preserved with natural mixed
tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid), pearl barley, chicken, natural flavours, dried beet pulp, rice,
whole oatmeal, brewers yeast, dried egg powder, salmon meal, tomato pomace, whole flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, apple pomace, carrot pomace, whole alfalfa, canola oil, chicory extract, lecithine, whole spinach, choline chloride, salmon oil, calcium carbonate, Vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta-carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin K, biotin, vitamin B12), Minerals (zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, iron roteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium elenite), whole broccoli, whole sweet potatoes, whole apples, whole blueberries, whole pears, whole bananas kelp, yucca shidigera extract, cinnamon, turmeric, capsicum, paprika, garlic, chamomile, dandelion, probiotics (dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus lactis fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus diacetylactis fermentation product).

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com