Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old August 4th, 2013, 09:23 PM

rabbit pregnancy advice needed

I had a pair of girl rabbits housed together ,mother daughter ,mother 4.5 years old,daughter 4 years old. The last week they have been very aggressive,mother towards her daughter to the point I have had to separate them. Both are building nests,both very cage aggressive and grunting when our dogs walk by the cages. None of this behavior has been in them since we have had them over the past 4.5 years. The last time I saw this aggression was when the one was pregnant.

I have palpated them both and have felt a lump in both near the ribs,i didn't look any longer after finding the one on each as it was difficult enough to just find that one lump in each. It feel about the size of a globe grape. Could move my fingers around it.

they are both lionhead bunnies. I had my male rabbit let out from his cage by my nephew and found the boy inside with the girls. I do not recall the date that was on,so I am asking is how big would the kits feel,if that is what I am feeling at all
Old August 5th, 2013, 10:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Do you know of any rabbit breeders or a vet that specializes in small exotics in your area? That would be your best source of information.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 5th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'm afraid i don't have much to offer here except that since the dogs seem to be affecting the rabbits, maybe changing their cage location is a good idea.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM

The dogs have never made them act this way,the would hop all over the house and no problems at all. I don't have a phone waiting on a replacement part so unable to call any vets. I felt the male and he has the same lump albeit smaller. But the aggressive behavior, is making me think pregnancy. Thankfully I had an extra cage to put the daughter in as her mom was bitting her rear and chasing her all over the cage. Her daughter is a very very nervous rabbit to begin with so her mom attacking her was just awful.

The built nests 8 days ago,the mom made one,lined it in fur and ruined it the same day,the daughter built one the same time,took 4 days to line it in fur,but hasn't ruined it.

When I reach in to pick them up the make these soft sounds like they are not pleased. I don't know what to do. The daughter is 4 and never been pregnant so I have some concerns her pelvis being fused.
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I assume you know their gestational period is about one month, it's a shame you don't know the date the buck was with them. As none of us here are rabbit breeders or vets you really do need to get professional advice from a vet. Aggression is very common in pregnant rabbits though. Marko's advice to put the rabbits where the dogs can't bother them is good, if the mothers are stressed they may well kill their kits.
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:13 PM

I believe the mom is pregnant. All her nipples are more prominent. She is getting increasingly aggressive. I have a sneaking suspicion that my brother inlaw had let them mate because it has been well beyond a month since the male was in the girls cage. I had to separate the mom and daughter back on july 26th 2013 because mom was really nippy and chasing her daughter. My brother inlaw wanted me to breed them because he wanted a baby rabbit. I told him no but i think he did this behind my back. I cannot see a phantom pregnancy carrying on this long 3 weeks?? She seems to be eating less but still eating just notas much as before