Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Do it yourself grooming

Hey guys just wondering if anyone does their own grooming on their dog? The first time I trimmed Dash I used a pair of human clippers but I'm considering buying a set of grooming clippers. He's generally pretty good when I want to trim around his face but it would just be so nice to be able to do it myself, plus I enjoy it

Any thoughts?
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:32 PM

I never got much of a reply.
See http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75385
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

lots of people trim their own pets, human clippers seem to work fine.
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:31 PM

It seems to me that the only way to find out if you can do it, is to try it and see how he reacts and whether it's something you want to continue. Since he's only a puppy you should have very few problems and it will probably take you several sessions to get the cut you want.

One thing I would find out tho is whether there are any areas on a schnauzer that should not be cut because it will not grow back properly. I know on my GR it wasn't recommended that his chest hair and beard be cut because it would never grow back properly. The schnauzer may have similar grooming issues. I found several websites about how to groom a schnauzer as well as a few You Tube videos that you may want to look at.

Grooming a Schnauzer: Mini, Miniature or Giant Information and diagrams

Grooming a Schnauzer You Tube Video

Grooming Your Miniature Schnauzer

A Guide to Standard Schnauzer Grooming

There are many tools a groomer uses besides electric clippers to do their job and you may want to look into what you need to complete Dash's grooming. There are a number of websites where you can order the tools or locations of pet stores where you can buy the equipment. I have never ordered grooming tools online but others here,may have.

Grooming is also health related as the groomers know what to look for while they groom an animal that may be abnormal, an infection that is starting, a problem with the animals coat that can be fixed with additional supplements etc. etc.

MINIATURE SCHNAUZER — BREED DESCRIPTION & INFORMATION

Standard Schnauzer — Breed Description & Information

I noticed while getting these links that schnauzers need grooming frequently so I can understand why you want to learn to do it yourself. Good luck
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Well..I certainly do not have the grooming gift. If you see what I did to my poor dog....well, let's just say that I need to let it grow out just a bit so I don't get scolded.
Anyways - good luck to you with the grooming. I am certain you will do a better job than I did.
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We used grooming clippers to give our springer, Priscilla, a puppy cut every 3 months or so. Holy catz, that girl could grow hair! She took to it right away--she hated going to the groomer so the 'at home' option made her happy.

But I think dbg is onto something--with many of the more wiry-haired dogs, stripping (not clipping) is recommended, so you'll want to look into that before you do the grooming.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the replies! And thanks for all of those links They will definitely be helpful to me as I have just skimmed through them but am going to look through them more deeply. I can't wait to give it a try again and see how he reacts.
The groomer always says he sits still for her it's just at 50 dollars a cut every 2-3 months it adds up! His hair grows unbelievably fast! I'll post some pictures to let you guys know how it goes

Thanks again!
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:13 AM

If you keep your kittys hair brushed each day, you won't have to have it in a lion cut.

Brushing it daily will help keep mats out, especially if done right. Get a groomer to show you how to brush properly. I would do it, and did do it several times for both dogs and cats when in my own shop, but it is a bit far for a lesson. When kittys hair starts growning in again, brushing will help it alot, but you must get right down to the skin level, that is why I suggested to get a groomer to show you. They can show you on a dog, and just use the same method for the cat, especially if the cat really likes to be brushed. It takes time and practice, as some cats don't like to be brushed much.

I have had long hair, and short haired cats, and never had to give them a cut.
(I am a retired groomer) My own two cats love to be brushed.

However, if you do start doing that, keep in mind that kitty must be kept inside, their skin will sunburn, and have NO protection if it and another cat get into a fight.

If you have to cut out a mat, be very careful, and not pull up on the mat to cut, you can cut the skin.

take care
binky
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Floppy Dog

I have an American Cocker Spaniel that I groom from time time time. If you are going to buy grooming clippers, I highly recommend the Oster ones. They are expensive, about $300 but you will more than make up for it over the lifetime of your dog. In addtion, I recommend the Oster metal guards (the comb-like gizmo that's attached to the cutting blade housing) rather than the spring-loaded plastic ones. The metal guards have to be screwed on rather than clipped on and this eliminates having fur caught and tugged while grooming (experience talking). If you are going to give your Schnauser (?) the classic cut, you may also want a set of clippers with a narrow cutting blade to do the face. I have found from personal experience that the feet are the hardest to do. I have also found that having a taller work surface (kitchen counter hight) is much easier on the back than stooping to reach a table, for instance. You will also want a good pair of curved, blunt tipped scisors for trimming delecate and wrinkly areas (inside ears, around eyes and mouth, between pads) and have them regularly sharpened.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We used Oster clippers, too--also with the metal guards.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den and Corky have never had anyone other than myself groom them. I use Oster #10 blade on their face and neck, and and the narrow#10 blade on their feet and tail. I like to just scissor their bodies. It's relaxing and no noise to interfer with whatever program my hubby is watching.
Attached Images

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashn'us View Post
Hey guys just wondering if anyone does their own grooming on their dog? The first time I trimmed Dash I used a pair of human clippers but I'm considering buying a set of grooming clippers. He's generally pretty good when I want to trim around his face but it would just be so nice to be able to do it myself, plus I enjoy it

Any thoughts?
Be careful of razor burns anywhere you are doing a close trim without a plastic comb attachment. Pro groomers would use a vacuum attached to the clippers to help keep the blade cool. You will need to touch the blade frequently and take a break when it gets hot. Hot blades can cause burns even if they do not touch the skin directly, also will go dull faster.
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

It doesn't take long for the clippers to get hot. I use the clippers until they start to get warm and then switch to scissoring. The guy are constantly in a state of being groomed. I don't worry about perfection. It's the interaction that I love. Den-Den loves the one-on-one attention and loves to be fluffy-clean and pretty. Corky is a curmudgeon (sp?) He could care less and complains with growls and protests through-out. I won't use a blade finer than #10 for the same reason - to prevent trimming too close and possibly burning. The only place they are sensitive are their front feet. They don't mind the back feet but, for some reason, don't like me working on the front. I don't try to get them perfect. I don't cut their toenails for fear of hurting them. The vet does it and they behave beautifully for him.
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

you really shouldn't use clippers without some form of guard on them unless you have a heck of alot of experience doing it. You can actually cut the dog not just razor burn..If you keep your blades cleaned and properly oiled they don't heat up quite as fast and stay sharp a little longer.