Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM

cat attacked by dog

I'm watching my SIL's cat and dogs. Tonight I went to go in the house, and the dog (husky) pushed past me and got in the house. He went right for the cat. I jumped on him and got him out, but he definitely had her in his mouth. Her fur was wet and she was shaking, but I saw no signs of injury. I went to check on her 4 hours later and she was still on the couch where I left her, so I picked her up and put her on the floor to see if she would walk. She walked, but limped and walked slow. I called the 24 hr vet and they said if she isn't showing any signs of distress its ok to wait until morning to bring her in. She seems fine except for the limping. She's breathing fine, her eyes look fine etc. When I pet her she doesn't cry like shes in pain. I felt her all over to make sure she didn't cry when i touched her. does she sound fine to you?

Last edited by giz; July 7th, 2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:12 PM

She might be in pain because of the limping. I'm not sure if that would be classified as an emergency or not though. Poor kitty.
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:25 PM

I'm sure she's sore, I don't think she's in pain where shes suffering or I would bring her in now. I wish they could talk! I'm worried about internal bleeding or something, but I think that would have made her uncomfortable where she'd be lethargic by now. I guess i'll wait till morning. My gut feeling is shes fine just sore and scared out of her wits.
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Just updating that the cat is totally fine. She must have just been scared out of her wits! Poor thing.
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor baby! Glad to hear she's fine tho. This sort of thing happaneed once to my bunny - the culprit being my lab nephew, at the time an energetic puppy. (Of course, since labs never seem to grow up, he's still a puppy, lol). My baby was in the dog's moth for maybe 2 seconds but was traumatized for the rest of evening. No injuries at all but lots of stomping later - to warn me there was danger around. (I actually brought my bunny in the bedroom and just held him for the lonest time!!) It was a traumatic expeience I NEVER want to revisit!! My brother brought the lab without telling me so of course the rabbit was running around his usual places and when the lab and bunny laned in the same room, the obvious occured. I was quite unhappy with my brother for awhile too to be honest!!!