Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 24th, 2006, 09:43 PM

OMG! Fireworks

Raven FREAKED OUT on us, when the fireworks went off!
She was literally choking herself, we had to let her run us (dragged) out of the park!!! Also another dog freaked out, some how gotten lose from its coller ran right into the streets, kept on running!! I didnt see the owner anywhere either?!
Holy Moly I am still so freaked out, hubby hands are so red and swollen looking, trying to hang tight on the leash!

Has anybody here experience this before?!

I wonder what happened to Raven last year- we only got her in Sept at the SPCA. I wonder if she was traumatized, or is it normal for dogs to freak out like that?
Raven 2 yr and 5mths old black Lab
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

While fireworks are going off my dogs are kept inside the house, sadly many run off or escape during fireworks, most dogs find fireworks very scary
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys
While fireworks are going off my dogs are kept inside the house, sadly many run off or escape during fireworks, most dogs find fireworks very scary
Very, very true, I live right by Ontario Place so my dog has grown up with fire works, gun shots from the Airport....(um, they shoot of guns to scare the birds) thought I should explain that, Cannon fire from Fort York, and it still freaks him out. I know people that have moved into the new condos near us with their dogs and have actually sold the places and moved again. The noises in the neighbourhood put the dogs in a constant "state" They were afraid to go outside. Anyways, it certainly doesnt mean the dog has been traumatised before, its a very common reaction.
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:50 PM

Yeah, dogs aren't allowed on Jacques Cartier bridge for the La Ronde fireworks because there were too many freak outs. I tried to assure the security guy two summers ago that my dogs don't care (they really don't) but he didn't believe me. (It wasn't posted anywhere that they weren't allowed on so I thought he'd make an exception)
Old June 25th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Harley last summer started foaming at the mouth, and litterally **** himself. He has no problem with thunder or loud noises, I swear I almost lost him last year. Never again will I put him through this. Just remember their hearing is 4 times as good as ours. So just imagine
Old June 25th, 2006, 08:13 AM
-

2 of my 3 dogs are afraid of fireworks and thunder big time.I have to give them Bio-Calm before a storm.Yesterday,the fireworks weren't too loud,I live outside from the village.But Bailey was shaking and panting.I always do as nothing is going on but still,they don't like it.
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:11 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

My two golden's also are very nervous with fireworks. And in storms they walk around in circles barking and shake like a leaf. I'm not surprised Sjat24 at their reaction. It's very frightening for some.
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey has yet to experience actual fireworks here. He didnt seem to be bothered by the fire crackers the kids let off at Halloween - and he is ok with Thunder Storms. Even so any firework event I would leave him home.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I was lucky enough that we were able to hear fireworks from a neighbouring park last spring when Charley was quite young. I made like there was nothing and he doesn't mind them at all now. Same thing for gun shots, dump trucks, thunder, anything but trains (seems loud noises paired with vibrating ground is the only thing that really freaks him out, understandably given his 12 lbs size)

That said, I would never even dream of taking him to parliment hill for the big fireworks show because those are much more intense and last longer.
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Performance Spaniels

Inside, Cider's fine with them, Ouside just walking at night if fireworks happen she deals, but stops to try to find them.

At a fireworks show, I'd have a very unhappy dog. I wouldn't even contemplate doing that.
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM

A lot of dogs hate fireworks! Also thunderstorms. My dog never noticed either, though.
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I was walking Layla at 3:30 this morning before going to work, and some people in the park were setting off fireworks. She was litterally put into a trance. She just stood there staring in the sky at them like they were the most amazing thing she'd ever seen. I was a little worried she'd want to run over to where they were being set off, but she was quite happy just looking at them from a distance.
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Jesse doesn't care about fireworks. She pretty much has the attitude "doopdy doo".
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:31 AM

not as good thing for doggies

Kasha my staffy who was stolen at 2 years old :sad: had no problem at all with fireworks or thunder but Taz is terrified by any fireworks which is bad whe people i britain seem to start Novemeber the 5th celebrations in July and continue them to January!! he is also scared of doors banging etc I too am not sure whether this stems from his past (as he was 3 when he came to live with me) or whether he is just a naturally cautious doggie!?

But fireworks are definately not good for most doggies!!
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

Last year we took our little beagle to the fireworks for Canada Day. She flipped out and started choking herself so I picked her up and she let her entire bladder go on me. Poor baby. This year we will stay home and comfort her as they go off on the other end of the neighbourhood. Maybe we will go to grandmas. She is also afraid of thunder and just shakes, but she doesn't react like she does to fireworks.