Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:36 PM

Puppy diarrhea/loose stools and food

Hey all,

I've got an 8 month old puppy who is experiencing diarrhea and loose stools some of the time he goes. For a little back story here's his history. I got Theo at 8 weeks old and shortly after he came home he experienced some diarrhea which I figure was due to his change in food. That cleared up well and he was doing fine for about 2 months until he started having diarrhea again. Took him to the vet again and got him dewormed one more time and he had no worms, at this point I was given some probiotics to try adding to his food to see if they would help. There was an initial difference in his poop but it never quite achieved the desired consistency one likes to see.

About a month after that so late June/early July the diarrhea returned. It got to the point where it was just impossible to even pick it up on walks. Took him to the vet right away and was given some prescribed dog food for gastrointestinal issues, after a couple days to a week there was a huge change and he had probably some of the best stools I've seen him have. He was on this for about 3-4 weeks at which point I talked to the vet about trying to switch him back to his regular food which we did slowly. Again he continued to have great stools even on his old food and I'd hoped that was the end of it.

Unfortunately at the beginning of September he ingested something (possibly another dogs poop) while on a walk and ever since then it's thrown his system off. In the mornings he has great bowel movements but the later it is in the day the softer and looser it gets. I've also been giving him pumpkin with each meal as I heard that could possibly help.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything quite like this espcially with him recently having good stools in the morning and looser ones later on. He's currently eating Pro Plan puppy food chicken and rice. The reason I started him on this food is because my old girl of 16 years ate it all her life and never had a bad reaction so it was a natural choice when I first got him to go with the same. Obviously I know not all dogs are the same and perhaps this food isn't the right one for him.

Does anyone have any advice for good dry dog food that I could try? I'm wondering if I might need something geared towards pups with sensitive stomachs as it seems this guy may have that. I'm hesitant about going back to the vet to get more prescription food as it's adult food and the whole time he was on it before his weight didn't change nor did he really grow. It wasn't until he went back to the puppy food that he started to gain weight and grow again. He also gobbles up his food way too fast so I've had to take measures to slow down his eating time considerably for digestion as I know this can contribute to his stomach problems.

Sorry this was so long! Just wanted to be as detailed as possible as I'd like the poor guy to be as healthy as I can get him. Thanks!
Old October 1st, 2014, 11:15 PM
Senior Contributor

What are you currently feeding?
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I think you should try avoid any dog foods with added food coloring to it , look for dog that is all natural and for dogs with sensitive stomachs . I notice a lot dog foods have flax seeds and this will made a dog poop more. I would be sure your puppy is drinking enough water so he will not get dehydration. The dyes in food coloring can be hard in a puppy with a sensitive tummy . What breed is your puppy , some breeds do have sensitive tummy .
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:14 AM

MaxaLisa - He's still eating the Pro Plan Chicken and Rice puppy food

Barkingdog - He's a Border Collie and Australian Cattle Dog mix. I'm quite familiar with the borders as my last girl was one but the AUD is new to me so not sure if there would be a difference though I know both breeds have similarities. As for drinking water he's definitely in taking a healthy amount. I didn't know about the flaxseed or the food colourings I'll be sure to keep an eye out for those when choosing a new food to try. I've tried checking different brands out online before going to the store but boy is it hard to figure out what would be the best. I expect it will take some trial and error before I get one that agrees with him.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:21 PM

I personally wouldn't feed purina anything to any animal...

I'd try a higher quality food. Pure pumpkin puree can help as well with digestive issues.