Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM

Cat's leg infection-to bandage or not?

My cat, Bruno, somehow wound up with a nasty infection in one of his front legs. A few days ago my husband found him holding up his leg and it was really swollen. We thought it was broken but after a visit to the vet & 2 x-rays, he said it's not broken; likely some kind of infection from an old bite wound (he's an outdoor cat). Anyway, he's on a 2-week course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. It seems to have gotten even more swollen; it's moved down from his shoulder area down into his paw which now resembles a small catcher's mitt! He's still walking ok, limping but he's not crying out in pain unless you handle it too much. He's still eating ok also.
Anyway, this morning I noticed that the site is now oozing, I think he had been licking/chewing it.
My question: should we bandage it up with polysporin or leave it open to let it drain? I just don't want him chewing on it too much. If it doesn't improve by tomorrow we'll likely take him back to the vet.
Magic - black mixed Shih Tzu, Chihuahua, Malteze, Bichon (bn Feb 19/08)
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor baby. It is possible and likely that excess licking can cause the growth of bacterias and further infection. If so then it is likely that the vet will prescribe a stronger medication and I bet you can expect the E collar.

If there is no fever then he can probably wait until tomorrow. The ozzing may not be a bad thing however requires investigation regardless especially if the color is yellowish or greenish in color.

I always say that if something does not seem right to me - then I follow my instincts. I think you already know what needs to be done.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Also - there are more cat savvy people here on pets that may be able to assist you further.
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecatt View Post
My question: should we bandage it up with polysporin or leave it open to let it drain?
I would leave it open to drain. What often happens with cats when they get a wound is that their skin closes over it very quickly, trapping bacteria inside, which then results in infection and swelling. It's good that it's finally draining. The antibiotics should hopefully do their job, but if you want to help keep the bacteria at bay, maybe using a few drops of colloidal silver both on the abscess and orally would be a good idea. Otherwise I would just keep a close eye on it, and if things aren't better in a day or two, give the vet a ringy-dingy.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler