Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 19th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

PLEASE Don't Block the Gate or Access

It's a gate so it can be opened. Just because it's closed now doesn't mean it might not need to be opened while your car is blocking it. If it never needed to be opened then it would be a fence, not a gate.

As the one time custodians of the key needed to open a gate if/when access was needed by emergency vehicles I can tell you, cars blocking gates or access points, is a problem. Many times we saw cars, probably dog walkers or hikers since that's who mostly used the property, blocking the gate. Luckily the time there was a health emergency and a person had to be removed the gate was not blocked.

I just got home from a drive around a big, big country block, returning from getting my car oil sprayed and filling up with gas. It's fall, it's beautiful and the roadsides are filled with parked cars belonging to dog walkers, hikers, bikers, I saw a photographer heading into a ditch for some shots, families with children out enjoying the fall colours. And I saw several blocked gates and accesses. I hope nobody has a heart attack, or breaks a leg or comes to any grief but if they do we might have to tow those vehicles. I doubt anyone will be careful of the car blocking access to fire, police, ambulance or other emergency vehicles and the blocking car might get damaged.

Please, spread the word if you know someone who does this.
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I hear you on that Longblades. People tend to not pay attention at all to things like gates. I get annoyed because we have an electric driveway gate and I can't count the number of times I get home from work and someone has parked in front of my gate. Really?? There's a whole road and you have to park at the end of my driveway and block my gate?? And people who stop their cars at a red light and block the "CLEARLY MARKED" entry/exit point for a local fire station. Seriously there are signs, lights, markers on the road, nope they still stop and block it.