Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old November 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Horizon Pet Food - any opinions?

I came across this at Pet Planet... How does it look to you? I was thinking of including the cat food in my rotation of kibble for my babies.

http://www.horizonpetfood.com/products-legacy.asp

TIA for your opinions!!
Old November 24th, 2007, 05:01 PM

I haven't heard anything about it before.....but the ingredients look great to me
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

It's good stuff for sure, I'd feed it. To my cat or dog. The only reason I didn't go with this for my dog was back when I was choosing a food, they didn't have a large breed puppy formula, but I did take a sample pack in to my vets office and he approved of it, and he approved of Orijen, which is whta I feed and love. He doesn't sell either tho.

Not that I really agree with my vets opinions of the food he sells. But he agreed it was good stuff. Both critters eat Orijen and love it, they do really well on it.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; November 27th, 2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM
-

The only thing that would concern me is the "pea starch concentrate". Does anyone know anything about this ingredient?
Old December 7th, 2007, 07:41 AM

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to put my .02 cents in. I have recently ( about 2 months) changed Shadow's food from Eagle Pack Holistic to the Legacy-Horizon brand.
My reasoning was that Shadow has always had some sort of allergy issue and the Legacy is 100% grain free. Well to my surprise I have noticed, already, a marked improvement...his eyes no longer water or cry, his nose , which was always snotty and crusty , has gotten well again.
I know 2 months isn't nearly enough time , but I think the legacy has made a big difference.
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM

That is good to know, Shadowkins, as I am also interested in finding out more about Horizon Legacy. I'm wondering if I should try it out, maybe switch it around with Orijen from time to time.

I do have one concern, though it may not be a huge worry... Orijen uses fresh foods, daily making their kibble according to the amount of fresh ingredients they get each and every day. Horizon does not do that, they don't state they do. I know most dog food companies don't use all fresh ingdts. all the time as Orijen does, but is that a good enough reason not to try out the Legacy by Horizon? Anyone care to comment?

Thank you
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjrc View Post
Orijen uses fresh foods, daily making their kibble according to the amount of fresh ingredients they get each and every day.
Marketing ploy. We're talking about dry food here, which is about as far from "fresh" as you can get. Kibble is a highly rendered product with an unnaturally long shelf life. It sits in warehouses and on trucks and in stores for who knows how long, so equating it with freshness is a contradiction in terms. Not to say it isn't a decent product for what it is, but it has more in common with breakfast cereal than a juicy chicken breast.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
The only thing that would concern me is the "pea starch concentrate". Does anyone know anything about this ingredient?
Horizon's website explains:
Quote:
The main reason we chose to use pea starch rather than split peas is that split peas will have a considerable amount of stachyose and raffinose included in them. Raffinose and stachyose are not digested in the small intestine by gastrointestinal enzymes. They are passed into the large intestine where they are fermented by intestinal microflora, resulting in the production of gas.

This gas is excreted as flatulence, and living in in close quarters with our pets, we wanted to keep this to a minimum! Pea starch is extracted through a process of air fractionation and is not heat processed. Pea starch is also a low glycaemic index carbohydrate; thus by using pea starch we don't get the flatulence, but get a food with a low glycaemic index.

It is also important to Horizon that we use a locally sourced carbohydrate.
I've been feeding my greyhound Horizon Complete Adult formula for several months now, and I'm very happy with it as a basis for his healthy diet. The ingredients are all Canadian-sourced and human-grade. It's also less expensive than comparable brands.

This is not the Horizon Legacy grain-fee kibble, which is excellent, but unnecessary for Rufus, as he has no allergies or other problems with digesting good-quality grains like barley, rye, and oats.