Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old March 27th, 2006, 11:39 PM

Smile Morkie dog

Hello. I am new to this site and found it through searching for a puppy for my son. We had just seen the cutest dog yesterday and I found out it is called a MOrkie. I noticed that someone else had asked about this breed and it upset some people.

I love animals, I don't want to offend anyone but I am just looking into educating myself on breeds. I have only owned one dog in my life and it was for a short lived 9 months until she ran into the street, was hit by a car and had to be put down. It was awful and I am just now feeling ready to have another.

What is the deal with a Morkie? I understand puppy mills are horrific but isnt there a reputable breeder that I can talk to? How do I even find a reputable breeder? The local pet store was just on the news for buying sick puppies from Mexico. I don't know how to find this dog in a healthy, humane way. I hate pet stores, you can't trust the classified ads. What can I do?
Any suggestions? Please don't hate me for asking.......
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi and welcome to the board!

A Morkie - Maltese mixed with Yorkshire terrier I assume - is NOT a breed. It's a mongrel with a fancy name, bred by people who want to make money by selling them to people who don't know any better.

There are no reputable breeders of mixed breeds, as reputable breeders breed for a specific standard and when you produce mixed puppies, no one knows how they will turn out and they can have a host of health problems since these breeders don't bother with health testing as a rule.

If you want a mixed breed, you can get them at shelters for as little as 25$ or from rescues, where they might be 250$, but that includes the spay/neuter, vaccinations, heartworm testing, deworming etc.

Someone deliberately breeding mutts like "Morkies" could charge 1000$ for the same type dog, but without the spay/neuter etc.

To look for mutts of every description, try www.petfinder.org
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:55 PM

I think this thread explains everything: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12140
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:04 AM

Thank you Lucky Rescue

Yes, I have been online and the cost for a pup like this is outrageous!
I have been looking at shelters.
I hate the idea of having an unhealthy pet and supporting people who breed just for the money with no regard to the animal.

Do pure bred pets have more health issues then Mutts?
I was looking into mixed breeds because I heard that a pure bred would run me a small fortune in vet bills with all kinds of health issues by being "over Bred".
Any thoughts?
And where do I go to find a good breeder?
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Performance Spaniels

A mixed breed is no statistically healthier than a purebred.
A mixed breed deliberately bred may run you the same small fortune in vets bills a byb of a purebred will.
While there are no guarantees, your best bet is either an excellent breeder of a purebred, or rescuing someone in need from a shelter. While any dog there is a grab bag of genetics, A lot of people here have rescued, and no one has seemingly complained of horrible endless bills to fix genetic problems, plus the small adoption fee for getting a dog that is already s/n leaves money for problems down the road that could happen with any dog.
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:14 AM

A mixed breed most likely comes from a breeder who doesn't care about anything but money or comes from a breeder who had an accidental litter. Either way, they're not striving for better dogs. Good breeders these days do DNA testing for genetic disorders and don't breed if the tests come back positive for anything. They also keep track of all the puppies and any subsequent illnesses to get a better picture of the health of the line in general. Breeding that way produces puppies that are probably healthier than most of the mutts out there.

It used to be true that mutts were the healthier or the two, but now, breeders know more and test more, and are weeding out the bad ones better. Also with the dramatic rise in puppy mills, pumping out anything that can be sold for profit to the unknowing public, health takes a distant back seat to profits.

I'm not saying mutts are bad in any way (I have two). Just don't go paying extra for one when there are so many out there that need homes. They're a dime a dozen.
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Not certain I can add much other than to reiterate that most ppl here who are knowledgable about dogs (I am more of a cat/bunny person but I have raised some healthy dogs in my lifetime,

I am most unhappy with this so called whole designer dog trend which is as Lucky says a fancy way of naming what is essentially a mixed breed - which is not to suggest there is anything wrong with as mixed breed but you will be paying a lot of money to what is known as a backyard breeder who is selling you a dog who is not a breed, can never be registered with any reputable dog angncy, who is not a purebred (ie - you will very likely NOT know the last three generations of the dog and is or her genetic and health background which is extremely important) and is marketed falsely by many sellers as "the best of both breeds" - no one, even the most einent geneticists of the world could ever make that promise. You could get the worst of both breeds but typically you get something in the middle, just another mixed breed - a mix between a Yorkie and a Maltese. Both Maltese and Yorkies have some issues (all breeds have something or other bad or good that a potential adopter needs to know but these so called "breeders" can never tell you this dog's history.) You could certaibly find a cute healthy dog but there is no gurantee with it - a good reputable breeder usually has a contract that attests s/he will take the dog back if anything happens to you or your circumstances change, (ie they worry about the puppies they raise), they have bred for the best standard in the breed to improve it - an impossible objective with any mix, charge ridiculous prices b/c of this marketing, and most of all a reputable breeder does not care about profit - they care about their dogs and puppies and usually spend more than they ever make! The opposite is true of anyone selling these designer dogs - and while some may be well meaning, most are not.

Since most breeds have some concern, there is really little difference between so called mutts and purebred dogs - especially since good breeders breed only the healthiest of dogs who meet or are well above the standard and are the offspring of dogs that have been well cared for, are healthy and any genetic issues have been weeded out - meaning puppies with medical genetic issues are kept by the breeder or sometimes adopted as secial needs pets by caring people.

I have a good friend who breeds Yorkies so I know more abot that breed than most. She gets sooooo upset when she hears of these designer dogs - and for her, this is an expensive hobby and while her salary as a family doctor is fairly good, she still finds her "hobby" to be expsensive since she has to spend a lot of money on having a vet on retainer dfor emergencies or other isues, just participating in dog shows (since only Grand Champions who have exceeded the standard or met it perfectly and won awards are the only ones ever bred) is in itself not inexpsnsive when one consuders travel, hotels, registration, mentoring, supplies, puppy care - you get the idea. Oh, and buying the best good for pregnant moms and the pups and ensuring proper socialization and training and other costs.

These designer people set up shop and somehow think they will make a profit. They claim to care for their dogs but if their objective is the bottom line, they must cut corners somwehere - which is why their matkup is so high. You might pay a lot for a purebred Yorkie too but you wil know its geneology for several generation (its pedigree) and it will already have been registered with the best registry (some of the less desirable "breeders" who usually do not even pay the requisote fees to be doing this, might give you a piece of paper but it is with some outfit that is not the official CKC or other recognized organizations. Certainly , a designer mutt cannot even be registered by those.

Anyway - just my thoughts. If you have your heart set on a Morkie - check the Rescues and SPCA groups and if you want a purebred Maltese or Yorkie, find the best breeders by attending shows or asking the CKC or other clubs that "regulate" these people. There are a;so rescue Yorkie and small dog rescue groups who smetimes have "Morkies" and ertainly Yorkies. Here are some (I forgot where you are located, sorry!):

http://www.thecyta.com/
http://www.unitedyorkierescue.org/lookingforlove.shtml
http://www.yorkshireterrierrescue.net
http://adopt-a-yorkie.1-800-save-a-pet.com/

I
Good luck!

Last edited by CyberKitten; March 28th, 2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM

There are many wonderful dogs in shelters and possibly some of them are Morkies. I think it's a wonderful idea to adopt one from there.
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Mutts can be extremely healthy or have health problems, just like purebreds. Reputable breeders of purebreds do their best to breed only healthy dogs without genetic defects, though.

But it can be extremely difficult to find a REPUTABLE breeder of purebreds. If you do decide on a purebred, please do ask for advice on finding a good breeder, as the people on the board are very knowledgeable and will be happy to help. Never buy a puppy from a pet shop or a classified ad. Never buy someone who breeds designer mutts like "schnoodles", "puggles", or "goldendoodles."

Anyway . . . personally, I love mutts. They're just as loving as purebreds and their heritage makes them special and unique. They should never be bred on purpose, but there are plenty in animal shelters and foster homes who need homes.

~LM~
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM

I hate to sound rude about this, but this all sounds like a load of crap. If two dogs mated and had puppies in the streets, no one would be hollering about genetic issues. Purebred dogs have more genetic issues than mutts because if two dogs have a recessive gene for a disease and they mate, chances are, some puppies will have a greater chance of having that disease and because purebreds mate exclusively with each other, this happens more frequently. If you want to have a designer puppy then get one. Pay what you want for it. If you want this dog as a pet, and do not plan on showing it, and you don't care if its registered, screw everything else. The Maltese breed is one of the oldest breeds. It is said that either Plato or Socrates had one, I cannot remember which. The yorkie is a relatively younger breed. It originated in England about 150 years ago. Out of all of the toy breeds, if you were to intermingle any breeds, a bichon frise, maltese, or yorkie would go best together. A maltese normally has a calmer personality than the other two but none of the three sheds like regular dogs. They are all hypo-allergenic, meaning that if you are allergic to dogs, you will NOT be allergic to these three because they have no dander. They are all small toy breeds. I have a morkie, a maltese, and a yorkie. My favorite is the morkie. He looks like a teddy bear and feels like one too! Yorkies and Maltese do not share any genetic issues except tearing problems but that happens with all short nosed toy breeds. So, suit yourself and buy what you want.
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I have a morkie, a maltese, and a yorkie
let me guess...you bred your maltese & your yorkie to get the morkie mutt? how much did you sell the "morkies" for?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Pure breeds don't have more genetic issues anymore. With more and more mills and baaaad bybs pumping out litter after litter of untested, unpedigreed dogs, mutts are losing. Might want to update your info before you start breeding. A lot has changed since that era, what, 30 years ago?
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Helicopter Champion

Potential health issues aside, when considering a puppy, the biggest difference between a mixed breed (from a shelter please!) and a well bred purebreed is that you will know approximately the final size of the pup with the purebred whereas with the mixed breed you could potentially end up with a pup who is half the size or twice the size as you expected.
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM

And can have a completely different behavior than expected too. It might look like a lab, but if it acts like a husky, most people won't be prepared.
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Honest Contributor

very well said, prin & dogastrophe

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

How old is your son?

Toy breeds are fragile, too much so for younger children who may want to carry around or are not old enough to understand that is they are too rough they could serious hurt the dog. Most rescues would not adopt one to a home with children under 7 years old and would want to see how the child interacts with dogs before considering a placement. they can also be very difficult to housetrain and some are going to have quite an attitude and we willing to bite a child if it does not want to be bothered

For homes with children I would probably recommend looking at dogs in the medium size or larger range, and please don't choose by cutness factor, research the breed learn about temperament, personality, energy level, is it a barky breed, is it good with children, this way it will help you find a breed best suited for your household.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yorkies and Maltese do not share any genetic issues except tearing problems but that happens with all short nosed toy breeds. So, suit yourself and buy what you want.
Sarah maybe you need to do some more research

Here is what I found in regards to genetic problems that can be found in boths breeds
Liver shunts
Tracheal collapse
Luxating patellas or slipped stifle

these are definately a little more serious that just tearing eyes

http://www.barkbytes.comLuxating pat...med/yorkie.htm

http://www.malteseterrierguide.com/G...rier/index.php

my aunt got one as a rescue and both his knees are quite bad and surgery will be needed, I can tell you it is by no means cheap
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Fever are you still there?

Hey if you are still around (since the thread was posted a year ago!) I was wondering if all this "help" made you run for shelter? Did you ever get your dog? and what did you end up getting? Just curious.

As a breeder I know that there are many purebreds out there who do have serious health problems, they should never have been bred, and themselves should be fixed. Health checks really depend on the breed you are considering, some have only a few known problems that can be easily determined by researching pedigree and doing a simple blood test or x-ray, others have more serious problems that show up in almost every generation, those dogs really need to be tested to be sure they are clear of it. Just make sure that whoever is breeding the dog is doing the appropriate tests for that breed. With one of the breeds that I have health problems are ALMOST non-existant, and that is because those who breed them have been very careful right from the start. Also they were never one of those "hot new breeds" that everyone and their uncle had to have, thank goodness. If a problem does show up it maybe a new concern, or a fluke, some things do show up at random.

Anyways, I think enough has been said about this topic, but carry on.
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Morkie puppy

I have a 4 month old Morkie I found from a breeder in Iowa after doing alot of research. He is delightful. I did not pay $1000's of dollars for him. He was vet checked after his arrival and is healthy with all of his shots completed by the breeder. I got some e-mail that was very adverse to this mix. I looked for a long time for the right breed for me. Purebreds were very expensive and this puppy is just what I was looking for. I couldn't be happier with him.
I would be glad to give you the breeders name if you wish..
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM

I hope you don't. It's not the dog we have an issue with, it's the breeders. No breeder breeds these things for the good of the dogs that result. They breed for money, pure and simple. I hope you don't encourage them any further. :sad:
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:51 PM
-

I agree. If I wanted a Morkie, or any other mixed breed, I would check out my local shelters or petfinders.
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

I agree with Prin and Rainbow.

If you want a mixed breed please don't pay a breeder for one. One who breeds mutts (not that there's anything wrong with a mutt) for money is a back yard breeder. Don't perpetuate the problem.

Give a deserving mutt from a shelter or rescue a home. You know what they say - save a life, adopt a dog.
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:39 PM

I love Maltese/Yorkie Mixes (well, I love all mutts, but especially these!).

I would never go to a breeder for one though, so my little Maltese/Yorkie came form a rescue! You can certainly find them if you take the time to look, and then you don't have to support backyard breeders and the pet overpopulation problem.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Angry Mixed breeds are special too

You people should be ashamed putting down mixed breeds like morkies. I have a puggle and he is the most wonderful dog I have ever had. I have had no problems with him whatsoever. Dont you think dogs born in puppy mills deserve to be loved too? Or are you expecting people to ignore them because they are "mutts" or "mongrels" to you. If you simply think of mixed breeds are just that, then you obviously have no right owning an animal if you cant accept them. You cant stop people from breeding animals however they want or two different breeds from mating accidentally so instead of griping about it and putting people down, go out there and adopt or buy one.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM

You obviously haven't read this thread at all.

Most here love mutts. We just don't want anybody BUYING them from the people who are breeding them. If you want a mutt, go to a rescue.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueys Mom View Post
You people should be ashamed putting down mixed breeds like morkies. I have a puggle and he is the most wonderful dog I have ever had. I have had no problems with him whatsoever. Dont you think dogs born in puppy mills deserve to be loved too? Or are you expecting people to ignore them because they are "mutts" or "mongrels" to you. If you simply think of mixed breeds are just that, then you obviously have no right owning an animal if you cant accept them. You cant stop people from breeding animals however they want or two different breeds from mating accidentally so instead of griping about it and putting people down, go out there and adopt or buy one.
You might want to look around more before you start judging the members here and the people that you are attacking.

Most of the people who have responded in this thread are VERY active in rescue. Of MUTTS.

Of course, puppymill puppies deserve love. However - so do their parents and you can bet that so long as mom and dad are pumping out puppies and making millers money - they are lucky if they get food, let alone shelter. Would you still feel great about your puggle puppy if you knew that his mother was given a c-section with no anesthetic on the dining room table and sown up with fishing line? Oh, and she will be having another litter as soon as she comes into heat again.

No - we can't stop people from breeding their dogs. But we sure can try to educate people so that they KNOW that they are supporting an industry that doesn't give a damn about the dogs they use for breeding - or the puppies they will sell for that matter, so long as they can make a bunch of money off of a dogs uterus.

BTW - well over a million mutts are put to sleep in North America every single year. So - how about becoming part of the solution instead of jumping on us.
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
You might want to look around more before you start judging the members here and the people that you are attacking.

Most of the people who have responded in this thread are VERY active in rescue. Of MUTTS.
Very well said, thank you.
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
No - we can't stop people from breeding their dogs. But we sure can try to educate people so that they KNOW that they are supporting an industry that doesn't give a damn about the dogs they use for breeding - or the puppies they will sell for that matter, so long as they can make a bunch of money off of a dogs uterus.
And it's not just the backyard breeders who advertise in newspapers, it's major corporations like ***** in the US that buys puppies from millers and shills them in pet stores for hideously inflated prices to the uninformed.

If you are getting an animal and willing to commit 10, 15, 20 years to its care, you should care about where it came from.

Last edited by Blathach; April 22nd, 2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Slander
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Huey's Mom, no one here is putting anyone down, especially mutts. We all love all dog breeds but hate puppy millers and people who as has already been well outlined. breed these poor mixed breed puppies in puppy mills purely for profit. You are extremely fortunate to have found a dog with no problems. (and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you simply do not know the genetic background (and I do not mean his parents, I mean his whole genetic health from many generations, good reputable breeders do genetic testing.) and thus medical probs can occur in your dog's future. That of course is true for any of us, especially when we adopt from rescues but we know what we are getting into and are prepared for vet bills.

I am not even sure with all due respect I want to know what a puggle is but I can guess, a pug and a poodle. What's wrong with a poodle? I had a poodle who lived a wonderful life and they are superb dogs - why spend a fortune on a mixed breed simply because someone made untrue claims about a poodle bred with a pug?

I am certain you love your dog and this he is lovely but please do not judge people you do not know, most of whom are involved in rescue and spend many of our disposable income on cats and dogs and other creatures in need of care. Or take in and try to find homes for these animals - all because of people like back yard breeders - and anyone who sells puggles or any mixed breed dog for a huge profit is a back yard breeder and bringing puppies into the world, many of whom will eventually be put to sleep alone and afraid in a pound somewhere. I wish - surely I do!- this were not the case but alas, such is often the outcome, especially when "designer" dogs are bought by people expecting allergy free pets or a trendy dog that does not live up to whatever they want. It is not about what people want - it is about the needs of the dog and what is the best fit for a family and the dog. (or cat or bunny ir whatever).

Anyone, off my soapbox - Gawd, I can't believe we are still debating this issue of designer dogs. I would never buy from a pet store that sells animals - NEVER! To do so only ensures that they make more profit and more dogs live in squalor and live horrible, sad and miserable lives. Yes, these dogs deserve a home - check out the rescue groups for puppy mills- they find homes directly from the breeders if you want to help. Go to an auction and get the dogs that have had so many litters and have never seen a vet, never payed with a ball, cannot play in the grass, never know human kindness. Or adopt from one of these organizations - you will get the same kind of dog with the various health probs (heart murmurs, health issue that crop up yrs from now_ but you will have helped a dog and and a rescue group at the same time! And not given money to the bandidos of the dog world!
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
let me guess...you bred your maltese & your yorkie to get the morkie mutt? how much did you sell the "morkies" for?
..Well said
Closed Thread