Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 11th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Careful of the food you give your dog..

Species: Canine (dog)
Breed: American Eskimo (mini)
Weight: 11 lbs

My scary episode goes like this;

On Monday morning(110705) Oscar had stolen a plate of mashpotatoes from the coffee table made Sunday night. He went to bed that night happy as a good dog could be.
After coming back from work in the evening Oscar is still healthy and looking for more food. We feed him some cashews and steak w/rice, and Lay's potato chips. Goes to bed alright.

Tuesday morning comes Oscar is not feeling well or looking well. Drool is coming from his mouth and he appears to be in a concious / semiconcious state. The thing that really got my attention is the drooling at first. Cause for an Eski it's not common in them, from what I know. With the excessive drooling and mouth semi opened, Oscar was also walking in along the walls as a guide as if he was blind. He walked all day along the walls, and drooling.
I make an appointment to see the local Langley Vet Hospital in the evening. This was the first Oscar had been to a vet as with I. The doctor examined Oscar and could not explain what was wrong. She told me that they would need to do a blood test to find out what's the matter. "Ok", I said. Paying $164 only to find out later nothing was wrong with his blood.

Wednesday morning, I did not sleep for more than 2hrs I think. Spending all night up with Oscar. As he got up and stumbled around the house aimlessly along the walls, I watched in sadness. Thinking to myself, at 7months the Gods are taking away my baby right before me. He ate very little that morning.
I head off to work that morning leaving Oscar with my mom. The Vet office called and explained about the blood result and nothing came of it. They wanted to do more tests and tests. I asked them about a vaccine shot for dogs and they said it could be administered. I asked to setup and appointment for that night with Oscar.
Still at work I was thinking why Oscar would be sick and act the way he was.
I don't know if it was fate or by some reason I was about to take Oscar out to get his shot when my neighbour told me about a vet clinic she went to with her dog. Taking into account I decided to go there instead, skipping the shot altogether. The other Veternarian said he's blind, as Oscar walked aimlessly around the examination room. He said it maybe his kidneys. His kidney's may have failed. Could be from a birth defect. Scared and unsure I asked him about his foods that he had eatten before his episode. Toxicity toxins in his body he said. Certain foods cause toxins that affect the kidneys and it appears that potatoes is one of them. (I did not know this till now.)

Researching online that night and into early Thursday morning. I found that Potatoes, salt are poison to dogs. I also found out that giving a vaccine shot would be a big no no due to Oscars situation.
Quickly trying to find a remedy, I found that real pumpkin is good. I already had a pumpkin so that was quickly chopped and made into pure soup.
With a straw and spoon, I hand fed him all day Thursday. Very dehydrated I had to put water down his throught.

Late evening has come and I see he is feeling much better. Taking a day off work was well worth it for my baby.

I am now researching on the types of food Oscar can and cannot eat. As a dog owner I always thought chocolate was the thing never to give to your dog but now I know more foods that are just as bad as chocolate.
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Thank you for your post MyEski.

I didn't know any of this! Having quite the 'scavenger' here, I've always worried he would get to something he shouldn't. I'm going to spread the word to friends and family.

Hope your baby is doing much better! Has he recovered his eyesight or did it cause a permanent problem?
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Oscar was feeling better late last night. It's now 5:22am on a Friday and he's again back to wondering the walls.
I'll keep posting on his condition.

(sigh)

Old November 11th, 2005, 08:43 AM
<-----nut ball

Potatoes are NOT toxic to dogs. potatoes are the main ingredient a lot of dog foods.

THe only thing that is toxic about potatoes is when this happens:

Quote:
Potato poisonings among people and dogs have occurred. Solanum alkaloids can be found in green sprouts and green potato skins, which occurs when the tubers are exposed to sunlight during growth or after harvest. The relatively rare occurrence of actual poisoning is due to several factors: solanine is poorly absorbed; it is mostly hydrolyzed into less toxic solanidinel; and the metabolites are quickly eliminated. Note that cooked, mashed potatoes are fine for dogs, actually quite nutritious and digestible.
That's why babies and immuno-suppressed individuals should be careful when they eat potatoes. Otherwise, they are fine for humans and dogs. Only raw/uncooked potato poses a big harm as the oxalates have not been broken down.

Did any of your food (rice/steak/potatoes) have onions in it? Onions are extremely toxic to dogs. What else was used to season the food? Aparently cashews (and a lot of other nuts) are poisonous to dogs as well.

I really don't think the potatoes cause the problem. It was probably onion/onion seasoning or the cashews.
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry to hear of that stressful event, but I'm with Raingirl, potatoes are most deffinately not toxic to dogs, in fact cooked and mashed potatoes are good for dogs.
The situation that Raingirl descibed about the solanum would also be toxic to you, so if that were the case, you would be just as sick as your pup.
I think it would be in good order to not feed your dog table scraps (i understand that he stole the potatoes, but it sounds like you directly fed him the cashews, chips, rice and steak).
Again, so sorry to hear about this upset.
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:07 AM

HEALTH ISSUES - Don't Let Your Dog Eat These Items!
The following was sent by the Alburtis Animal Hospital in Pennsylvania.

"There has been quite a response to recent warnings about feeding your dog cashews, raisins, and grapes (don't let your pet eat any of these). We'd like to add a new warning; although it does not concern a food item you might inadvertently feed to your pet. There is a seizure syndrome associated with the consumption of moldy walnut husks. (those are the things under your walnut tree that stain your driveway brown). Don't ask us why, but dogs will eat those things when they get moldy. Simply know whether you have a walnut tree or not, and put whatever effort you can into cleaning the walnuts up when they start to drop from the tree."

Hope your doggy recovers but I would let the vet know as you stated he's eaten Cashews.
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Hi ME,
our pit bull had Parvo as a pup and he became terribly dehydrated and he wouldn't eat, can't blame him parvo is like dypthria in humans, anyway, what worried me most was that he wouldn't drink anything so I found some healthy cedar and I boiled it and simmered it for about half an hour and made a tea for him. He was pretty small at the time so I kept giving him tablespoons at first every hour and then every half hour, soon he was able to drink for himself again and he started eating soon after.
I used cedar tea because in north american indian culture, we fast, going days without food or water, and when we finish we drink the tea because it calms your stomach enough to be able to drink water and eat again.
Just a suggestion, hope it helps.
Good luck
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:41 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Hey MyEskii, sorry to hear about Oscar's situation, I can only imagine what you're going through. Has your vet ruled out Oscar having had a stroke? His symptoms sound vaguely like those you would see in a stroke patient,and sadly, he's communicating as best he can to you that something is vastly wrong. Good luck and keep us posted as to how he's doing
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I am very sorry about Oscar. I also have an American Eskimo - 19 months, 22 lbs. and I must agree with Raingirl and Puppyluv re potatoes. My Eskie loves them - cooked of course. Potatoes are also an ingredient in many of the human grade pet foods. My Eskie does best on a fish based food - right now it is Salmon A La Veg - definitely Eskies are sensitive to corn based foods. Cashews should definitely not be fed to your dog. Mine does eat steak - and did eat a bit when he was 7 months - but I really limited the amount and still do but once he was switched to an adult food and a corn free diet that helped immensely. Re your dog's vision, Eskies are subject to progressive retinol atrophy as well as epilepsy. You might want to have this checked out - particularly if he eyes are blue. You have to watch purines and oxalic acids as Eskies are also prone to bladder stones. It sounds as if you are in BC where there are a lot of Eskimo dogs as compared to Toronto where we are. Perhaps you can find a vet who has a number of Eskies as patients. Or if you are close to a good teaching hospital - equivalent of Guelph, with a small animal clinic, that might be worth checking out. Hope he is feeling better today. If he has not been neutered as yet, once his other health concerns are ruled out, now would be about the time. My vet's associate has a Spitz and she told me when we got our guy that 7 months was definitely the time - her mother used to raise them.
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Do a google search for foods toxic to dogs and if you have cats do the same because there are is a huge list of fruits veggies and foods that can be deadly.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM

oh boy, I have a walnut tree. I knew that chocolate can be deadly, and also cheese causes hair to fall out (true?)

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Toxins for dogs

Alcoholic beverages
Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food
Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources
Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.

Cat food
Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine
Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.

Citrus oil extracts
Can cause vomiting.

Fat trimmings
Can cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins
Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

Hops
Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron
Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver
Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nuts
Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana
Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products
Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage
Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms
Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder)
Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons
Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums
Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems
Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs
Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw fish
Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt
If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.

String
Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods
Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts)
Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco
Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough
Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

Old November 11th, 2005, 02:21 PM
<-----nut ball

Yes...walnuts (especially the mold that can form on them) is VERY toxic to dogs...and people too I understand. Better get out the broom and sweap away all that debris!
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Plants

Here is a quick reference guide to the more common house and garden plants and foods that are toxic to most all animals. If you have these plants or foods, you need not dispose of them-just keep them away from your pets.

*Indicates that a substance is especially dangerous and can be fatal.

Alcohol (all beverages, ethanol, methanol, isopropyl)*

Allmonds*

Amarylis bulb*

Apricot*

Autumn crocus ( Colchicum autumnale)*

Avocado (leaves, seeds, stem, skin)*

Azalea (entire rhododendron family)

Begonia*

Bird of Paradise

Bittersweet

Bleeding heart*

Boxwood

Bracken fern

Buckeye

Buttercup (Ranunculus)

Caffeine

Caladium*

Calla lily*

Castor bean* (can be fatal if chewed)

Cherry

Chinese sacred or heavenly bamboo*

Chocolate

Choke cherry (unripe berries)*

Chrysanthemum (a natural source of pyrethrins)

Clematis

Crocus bulb

Croton (Codiaeum sp.)

Cyclamen bulb

Delphenium, larkspur, monkshood*

Dumb cane (Dieffenbachia)*

Elderberry (unripe berries)

English ivy (All Hedera species of ivy)

Fig (Ficus)

Four-o'clocks (Mirabilis)

Foxglove (Digitalis)

Garlic*

Hyacinth bulbs

Hydrangea*

Holly berries

Iris corms

Jack-in-the-pulpit*

Jimson weed*

Kalanchoe*

Lantana*

Lily (bulbs of most species)

Lily-of-the-valley

Lupine species

Milkweed*

Mistletoe berries*

Morning glory*

Mountain laurel

Narcissus, daffodil (Narcissus)

Oak* (remove bark for use as a bird perch)

Oleander*

Onions*

Peaches*

Pencil cactus plant* (Euphorbia sp.)

Philodendron (all species)*

Poinsettia (many hybrids, avoid them all)

Potato (leaves and stem)

Rhubarb leaves*

Rosary Pea(Arbus sp.)* (Can be fatal if chewed)

Scheffelera (umbrella plant)

Shamrock (Oxalis sp.)*

Spurge (Euphorbia sp.)

Tomatoes (leaves and stem)

Yew*

Old November 11th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Raingirl - well the squirrels have done a good job of that already! Luckily the walnuts were gone when we got pooch. So next year...

Old November 11th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm confused by the walnuts, because when we lived in Italy, our nextdoor neighbours had two gsd's that pretty much spent their days outside in "pen" (about 30 ft by 30 ft, fenced off) beside it was a huge walnut tree that dropped its nuts into the pen, the dogs would eat the nuts all day long, and besides a little gas, nothing happened to them. Now I'm not saying that this isn't an unusual case, or that I would risk it, but I do think that this points out how "the list" (ie. the list of toxic foods) should be taken with a grain of salt, and should be varied per dog (ie some dogs can tolerate an item on the list, but not an item that's off the list). The list is more of a guideline than a law book.
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Also, as per fish, I have seen a lot of BARF diets using raw fish, and raw fish can not affect biotin levels, egg whites are the only way (diet-wise) to cause biotin defficiencies
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:37 PM
<-----nut ball

I don't think that walnuts in themselves are poisonous, just the decaying old walnuts that get moldy. Also, walnuts get rancid VERY easily, which can make anyone sick (even humans). I think fresh walnuts are fine.

Also the european walnut trees and the canadian walnuts are very different I understand, so that could be why.
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

ahh ok, makes sense, I just have this distinct memory of these dogs hoovering them off the ground all the time
Old November 11th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Oscar is doing better right now. After feeding him water, water, and more water. Right now I'm trying to flush out the toxin's in him. He's getting his rice, plain steak, blended with Purina dog food fed to him.

Side note: In the mashpotato, it had cooked potatoes mashed with salt and milk. He ate that on Monday morning from the table.
We fed him cashews and thought that would be the cause after his incident. (When I took him to 2 Vets, both vets said nothing when I told them about the food he recently ate.) I had to research this online and I have yet to find a very very good Vet.

Another vet has recommended medications: Dexamethasome or Phenoxymethylpeniacillin Potassium. (I have yet to research this before I give him to another Vet.)

Right now he's sleeping quietly.

Old November 12th, 2005, 12:45 AM

Are cherry pits toxic to dogs? We have a cherry tree and Ebony likes to eat any cherries that the robins knock down. She swallows them whole and they, um, come out the other end later.

~LM~
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Cherry pits, like all fruit pits contain cyanide, which, I'm sure you know, is toxic.
If they come out whole the other end, then she's not getting anything from them, whether they're toxic or not, but, to be on the safe side, you should try and keep them away from her.
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:39 AM
<-----nut ball

Not all fruit pits have cyanide. I don't think the ones in the cherry/apricot/peach family do, as the centres of those pits are where we get almonds. I think cherry pits would be too small, but you can crack open peach and apricot seeds and actually grate the seed inside on desserts for flavour.

I would be more worried about blockages if the dog ate too many seeds, or if she crunched them and they were sharp.
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

"Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous. "
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
I think cherry pits would be too small, but you can crack open peach and apricot seeds and actually grate the seed inside on desserts for flavour.
I hope you're not serious..the raw kernel inside the peach and appricot pit contains hydrocyanic acid, a gastric irritant which could potentially release
toxic cyanide.
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM
<-----nut ball

THat's weird. I was taught to take the centre seeds out and grate them on desserts in my cooking classes. Lots of restaurants and places do that.
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I remember one of my nannies almost smacking me when I took some peach pits, cracked them open and toasted them in the toaster oven (I thought they were like "chestnuts roasting on an open fire... peach pit centres toasting on a condensing coil....")
Cooking schools and restaurants should not be teaching/doing this, it is recognized by Health Canada as a no-no
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...uvegtoxe.shtml
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Last evening Oscar was feeling better (no drooling or walking along the walls), so we gave him some food (rice, carrot, chicken), and water.

After 1hr or so, he started drooling again and walking. I thought then it maybe the food allergy, but he's had it before without being sick.
He was drooling like there was no tomorrow. His blanky was soaked and he couldn't even stand, let alone walk without stumbling ever step.

We found a recipe in a remedy book that was good for humans and dogs kidney. So we gave it a try...

That night, I thought the Gods would take him.

We prayed and prayed.

We played some soothing music in the background to calm him heartrate down and let him sleep sounder.

Well it's morning now and Oscar is feeling much better again.
I have not given him anything to eat as I want to flush his system of all toxins first.

I will keep an update on his progress. So far today is looking the best of the week.

Old November 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe time to see a specialist. Perhaps a neuro.
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

MyEskii, I know this is an incredibly tough time for you, but it's time that Oscar goes back to the vets office, for extensive testing and observation. If feeding him means he relapses to much worse conditions than prior, then his care is beyond you, despite your best efforts. If you weren't happy with the vet's diagnosis, then please call someone you trust and ask who their vet is and take him. For his sake, please, don't wait another minute, get him to a place where they can watch him and test him before he declines further.