Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM

staf terrier registration

I have a chance to get a terrier(pitbull) this week. I live in hamilton ont. Do myself and the owner have to go to city hall to transfere ownership, or is this done else where. What are the fees associated with this?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Can't seem to get a straight answer any where.
Thanks greatly.
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I really don't know about how the process works,I only know that Stafforshire Terriers are the one breed still recognized as Pit-Bulls and are banned here in Ontario.:sad:
Some amendments to BSL was made,mixes are no more on the BSL-list.
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Yes, it is licensed north american staf terrier, it falls under the f****d up bsl laws, but I can't get a straight answer anywhere about what this will cost. It is a pain in the butt!
Thanks for the reply though chico!
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM

If memory serves....fast questions...

Was this dog born before November 26, 2005 or lived in Ontario on August 29, 2005? If not, it's a prohibited dog under the Ontario breed specific legislation.

Is the dog spayed or neutered? If not, has the owner met the requirements for showing the dog (contained in the legislation)?

Is the current owner giving the dog to you without charge?

The Dog Legislation Council of Canada has a handy summary of the Dog Owners' Liability Act provisions. It's not legal opinion, it's an attempt to explain the provisions in simpler language.

http://dlcc.sbmprodos.org/dolafact.htm

A municipality usually requires that residents license their dogs. You're talking about Hamilton, do you live in Hamilton? Have you checked whether Hamilton has its own breed specific legislation? Some communities do.

You ask about cost. Do you mean to transfer ownership of the dog? Did the previous owner have the dog licensed in Hamilton? If so, there's usually a form on the back of a license renewal for transfer of a dog, you should be able to get it all filled out by the owner, making sure it says GIFT, and take it with you to the Animal Control office to get your own license for the dog.

If you're asking about the cost of a dog license, you should call City of Hamilton or check the city's web site for particulars.

If the dog is registered with the Canadian Kennel Club, you'll want to get the registration certificate signed off by the owner and get the dog's ownership information transferred into your name with the CKC.

If you don't have an example of a form to transfer ownership, the form for ownership transfer that comes on the back of the dog's CKC registration certificate might provide a good template. If it's still there, I owned my last purebred over 15 years ago, the form might be different now.

And until the breed-specific legislation is changed by the Ontario Legislative Assembly, I wouldn't make any assumptions that would put my dog at risk. Everyone I know with a "banned" dog is still muzzling, leashing, etc. pending final disposition of the court challenge.

Hope that helps.
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the reply saradog
lived in Ontario on August 29, 2005? Yes

the dog spayed or neutered? Yes

Is the current owner giving the dog to you without charge? Yes

Dog Owners' Liability Act provisions. I have read the act

A municipality usually requires that residents license their dogs. The dog is legal. Will I have to pay to have it re-licensed in my name? Or do I just need dog tags???

take it with you to the Animal Control office to get your own license for the dog. I have been told this is done at city hall here???

If the dog is registered with the Canadian Kennel Club, you'll want to get the registration certificate signed off by the owner and get the dog's ownership information transferred into your name with the CKC. Thanks, I will definatly find this out Saradog.

Mostly what I need is specifics to my municipality. Friday, I was just getting passed around with nobody giving me any real help. I can't keep taking time off work just to run around. I was hoping to talk to some body in this area who has gone through this here already.
Thanks for your indepth reply sara, it does help out, and greatly appreciated!
Old April 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM

BTW, does the dog have to be muzzled when being transported in a vehicle?
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM

[QUOTE=bushido;410263]
>>>Will I have to pay to have it re-licensed in my name? Or do I just need dog tags???
Good question, the city is the only one who can tell you that. I'd take the old dog tags with you, see if they'll just transfer the registration into your name, but you might have to buy a new license. I hope you'll post the answer when you get the dog and the license, for general information.

>>>take it with you to the Animal Control office to get your own license for the dog. I have been told this is done at city hall here???
That's strange, I registered a "banned" dog online in another city, but each is different. Again, I hope you'll post the answer when you get the license. Can you get a dog license online in Hamilton? That might save you some running around.
Correcting myself, you can order a dog license online from Hamilton. Long URL alert. I didn't go into the online application link.
http://www.myhamilton.ca/Hamilton.Po...INT=Guest#Dogs

>>>Mostly what I need is specifics to my municipality. Friday, I was just getting passed around with nobody giving me any real help. I can't keep taking time off work just to run around. I was hoping to talk to some body in this area who has gone through this here already.
Hope it all works out well for you, and I'd love to hear about your experience on this thread once you're through the process.