Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Funny how they forget they're hurt when they see something isn't it.
A high prey drive isn't wonderful when you have to keep a dog quiet.
You are sure going to have your hands full for a while. At least if she was an old dog she wouldn't be terribly active anyway, but as young as she is, she's going to exhaust you trying to keep her quiet.
Going to have our work cut out for us for sure.
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Here is a pic of her that I just snapped. Not her happiest moment.
She is a beauty!! I don't think I've seen a pic of her other than your avatar until now. I'm blown away!

Poor "little" Lukka :sad: (to me, anything cute, sick/injured, or nice is "little", regardless of actual size )
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes otter that is exactly what I will do
thanks
The bath mat or the video ? Maybe both ? Seriously I wonder if the videos are any help?

Glad I could help the poor girl. My heart goes out to you both
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Remembering Lukka

SARAH thanks for the compliment. This is a pic of her kissing daddy goodbye just the day before she got hurt
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
The bath mat or the video ? Maybe both ? Seriously I wonder if the videos are any help?

Glad I could help the poor girl. My heart goes out to you both
the bath mat
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
SARAH thanks for the compliment. This is a pic of her kissing daddy goodbye just the day before she got hurt
Sweet dog, that's what I said .. "little" !! I guess she's tall enough that you can put your hand on her head with your elbow slightly bent? Lol, that's just the limit for a dog to go from large to medium in my book, being able to pet it without bending over
Old January 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM
-

ahhh , Lukka would look so good resting here on MY couch
Old January 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Frenchy, you're such a sucker for big dogs.

She is so pretty, I just love her colouring. And who could resist that beautiful face.
Old January 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Frenchy, you're such a sucker for big dogs.
I'm already bored with just 3 dogs (2 cats) in the house

Just kidding
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:42 AM
-

Quote:
At night I put my sleeping bag on the kitchen floor at the entrance to the alcove and sleep with her. That way I can make certain she has me right beside her if she needs me Once she is off the Pred. I will take to my bed again because the need to pee constantly will be gone and she can go in her crate.
I called the vet office today and asked them to get the quote for the surgery together for me. I want to get this done next week depending on the clinic's scheduling availability.

Are you getting the TPLO surgery or the regular one?

Do you have one of those air beds? After Chase had his first TPLO I slept on the floor with the mattress from the spare cot. It was so hard to move it though so after the second TPLO I bought a twin size air bed so I could sleep beside him. It was even more comfortable than the cot mattress.

Quote:
Yes otter that is exactly what I will do
thanks

We also put an old comforter in Chase's crate so it would be softer for him.
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:48 AM
-

Another thing you can do is put an old blanket or sheet underneath the tin crate liner as it will block most of the noise when she moves around.
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

LM,you make perfect sense,I saw something similar on Emergency Vet,where the dog damaged her good leg overcompensating.

I would just love to give that"little"furball a big hug and tell her everything will be ok,you and hubby too
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Are you getting the TPLO surgery or the regular one?

Do you have one of those air beds? After Chase had his first TPLO I slept on the floor with the mattress from the spare cot. It was so hard to move it though so after the second TPLO I bought a twin size air bed so I could sleep beside him. It was even more comfortable than the cot mattress.
We also put an old comforter in Chase's crate so it would be softer for him.
Just the regular surgery rainbow

Hubby is going out this morning to buy me an air bed

I will try and line her crate with blankets, normally she refused to use blankets in her crate, she loves to cool tin floor.
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
LM,you make perfect sense,I saw something similar on Emergency Vet,where the dog damaged her good leg overcompensating.

I would just love to give that"little"furball a big hug and tell her everything will be ok,you and hubby too
We are all feeling the love, thanks so much chico
Old January 13th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Lukka's Ma - when you get the air bed examine it carefully for potential tears and "deflation" that will be caused by Lukka moving about - her nails, etc. After our last Dachshund had his surgery I bought a double size - needed room for at least 2 of us on the floor - and within less than a week it had tiny holes and air just kept leaking out. I went back to the store for Plan B and found a wonderful air mattress - already filled - thinner but more comfortable - and quite long. It wasn't cheap - in July 2003 it cost $85 but considering the one that lasted only a few days cost nearly $50 I think a good buy. We had it until a few weeks ago - after my darling died my husband used it as an exercise mat of all things - was really too thick for that though. I hope the surgery goes well - my Eskie's groomer's dog is doing extremely well. She did not have the TPLO either. You are so near Guelph (well at least you seem to be since you are in London and I am in Toronto and at midnight the drive to Guelph seemed awfully long) - are you going to have surgery done there?
Old January 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Remembering Lukka

We are getting the surgery done here in London. The vet has been well doing this procedure for many years and did my sisters cat's acl's as well. Her cat had both legs done and recovered perfectly and has been fine now for four years
Lukka has to be off the Prednisone for at least three full days so that means her surgery has to be put off until the 22 January. She goes in at 7:30am and has to stay there for two nights:sad: I don't know how I am going to get through all that time without seeing her. I have never been away from her longer than one shift at work
Old January 13th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I will try and line her crate with blankets, normally she refused to use blankets in her crate, she loves to cool tin floor.
To keep that coolness try lining the tin with vinyl - like the stuff you use to cover bar stools with (that's the only use I can think of) or even leather (if you can find it). Both are soft enough not to be slippery but thin enough to still be cool. It'll get all scratched up but it's not expensive (the vinyl anyways) and can just be replaced as needed. You should be able to find it at a fabric store or from an upholstery shop - you can even put spray glue on the bottom to make it really sticky (available in office or art supply stores - get the removable type, there are usually permanent and removable versions, else it will be VERY messy to remove)
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Happy that your vet has such great experience! I get so focused on Guelph because my pets' problems seemed to be emergencies requiring immediate surgery - or else. It will be hard not seeing your pup - I hated leaving my guy in Guelph for 5 days and with my first Dachshund, he had to stay in the hospital - in Toronto at that time - neuro travelled in those days - for 40 days - but he walked again so in the end that is what mattered. My groomer's Boxer had to stay just the one night in hospital, but every dog is different and the groomer has been through the procedure a few times - and will be doing so again next month when leg 2 is done on the Boxer. You will be so happy when all of this is over and then Lukka can get even more hugs, kisses, toys, FOOD!
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Remembering Lukka

I just hope that someday she will be able to handle the walks like we used to take daily at the conservation area. She was the happiest when we were out hiking in the woods. I have no idea how long the recovery will be, so I don't know if our walks (even short ones) will resume this year or not. Someone told me that humans that have this surgery can be off their exercise routines for months, and perhaps never play sports again, so I don't know if dogs ever get back to where they were prior to the injury.
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDancer View Post
Happy that your vet has such great experience! I get so focused on Guelph because my pets' problems seemed to be emergencies requiring immediate surgery - or else. It will be hard not seeing your pup - I hated leaving my guy in Guelph for 5 days and with my first Dachshund, he had to stay in the hospital - in Toronto at that time - neuro travelled in those days - for 40 days - but he walked again so in the end that is what mattered. My groomer's Boxer had to stay just the one night in hospital, but every dog is different and the groomer has been through the procedure a few times - and will be doing so again next month when leg 2 is done on the Boxer. You will be so happy when all of this is over and then Lukka can get even more hugs, kisses, toys, FOOD!
Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of Guelph. When our friends dog came down with Aspergillosis two vets and almost $7,000.00 couldn't pin point the problem, then the dog was sent to Guelph and with in a half hour a diagnosis was reached. I think they are wonderful. This just doesn't seem to be something that our vet can't handle.
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
-

Is Lukka really active? We were told by my vet that TPLO surgery is best for large active breeds and that's why she referred us to a vet that is able to do the TPLO. Did your vet explain the difference to you?

Here is some information...

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/cruciatelrt.htm#

http://www.westlakeanimalhospital.co...ture__can.html
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Remembering Lukka

rainbow she's kind of a lay around the yard and watch over us girl. She loves her walks in the woods but at home she isn't over active, squirrel runs from time to time
We chase her sometimes but after a minute she just says, "You guy's continue I am going over here to watch people walk by and see that they behave themselves."
Those links were great. I have googled this subject a couple of times but I never came across those sites. Thanks. I am going back to re-read them again.
If our vet decides at the final hour that the surgery should be the TPLO, then I guess we will have to go with that. I am really hoping however we can get this other procedure done.
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I hope all will be well I'm so sorry to read of this.
Did your vet taper off the prednisone. It cannot be stopped suddenly it needs to be tapered if been taking it longer then a week. Very best of luck and that is a great picture a very beautiful dog for sure.
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Remembering Lukka

Yea, tapering off the Pred now
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh and for the crate I put a rubberized door mat type of thing under the metal tray and it didn't move at all. I put another one down ontop of the tray before putting bedding in. Keeps things in place and worked really well for me.

You guys will make it through this!
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Rubberized door mat = carpet with rubber on the bottom
My brain cannot figure out if there is a word for that right now lol
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba View Post
Rubberized door mat = carpet with rubber on the bottom
My brain cannot figure out if there is a word for that right now lol
It's OK, I know what you mean. I will look into getting one of those rubber matty thingies for her crate
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
-

Quote:
rainbow she's kind of a lay around the yard and watch over us girl. She loves her walks in the woods but at home she isn't over active, squirrel runs from time to time
We chase her sometimes but after a minute she just says, "You guy's continue I am going over here to watch people walk by and see that they behave themselves."
Those links were great. I have googled this subject a couple of times but I never came across those sites. Thanks. I am going back to re-read them again.
If our vet decides at the final hour that the surgery should be the TPLO, then I guess we will have to go with that. I am really hoping however we can get this other procedure done.

Since she's laid back you should be okay with the regular surgery. The TPLO is more of a necessity for a large dog that is very active or any dog that's in agility. Chase is very hyper and him & Logan play extremely rough so that's why we opted for the TPLO.

I have a friend with a laid back golden and they got the regular surgery for their dog. She walks alot with her dog but it doesn't play much and they've been happy with the regular surgery. In fact they've opted for it twice as the dog has ruptured the ligaments in both legs.
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I have a friend with a laid back golden and they got the regular surgery for their dog. She walks alot with her dog but it doesn't play much and they've been happy with the regular surgery. In fact they've opted for it twice as the dog has ruptured the ligaments in both legs.
Same with my sister's golden. He's now 12 yr old and doing very well.
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Remembering Lukka

rainbow how long of a recuperation time are we looking at? Will she be able to go on short walks (by short I mean about 2kilometers in time. Would hoping for short walks by the end of summer be awful adventurous of me?
Also with the lesser surgery, does that mean we should never allow a friend to bring a dog over to play for a half hour or so (when she's better)