Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Boss-lady!

Talking Glad I have a big brave dog to protect me...

...from a pair of jeans flapping on the neighbour's clothes line!

Yep, Fingal took one step out of the door earlier and then started barking his head off at the jeans. Hackles up, alarm bellow, he put the brakes on and would NOT move! It took me about five minutes (during which both dogs bravely hid behind me and barked away) to quiet them down and coax them close enough that I could touch the jeans and show them there's nothing to fear. Goofs! Every time we've passed the pants since then, Fingal eyes them closely.

I wonder what he was thinking they were. I got an idea that he thought half a person was dangling in mid air, and was trying to figure out how that happened.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 20th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Ninja legs... that's what they were.
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:40 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

That is too funny!
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Owned by goldens

Big brave dog

Two winters ago some kids built a snowman near the street in front of their house. When we passed it Hunter was freaked out and started barking at it. Over a year later the snowman has long since melted but he is still very suspicious when he walks in front of that house.
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Simon does that with snowmen too, and lately, with shrubberies (insert Knights who say NEEEE joke here). Peach just looks at him like "huh? it's just a plant??"

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawert1
Simon does that with snowmen too,
Boo attacks snowmen.. I feel so sorry for the little kids who make them... He just plows into them with his claws out. Maybe that's the secret pointer slogan? "Death to all snowmen!"
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:54 PM

They sure can be a riot sometimes, can't they?

Our first dog, Murphy, was a very calm and quiet dog. Except for one night around Halloween. No, she wasn't afraid of the kids in their costumes. I had put up one of those plastic decorations in the bedroom window behind the horizontal blinds. In the middle of the night, we heard this satanic growling coming from the foot of the bed. I swear, she sounded like she had swollowed a gremlin. Well, we bolt out of bed to find Murphy standing there, so rigid I thought she would crack, hackles straight up, staring down the evil plastic pumpkins which were casting a shadow onto the blinds thanks to the street light outside our house. I actually had to take them down to let her sniff them.
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Boss-lady!

Ah, what we do without our furballs? They get scared at the silliest things (or so we think). Our Himalayan cat Chandi was petrified of anything long and wiggly-cooked spaghetti, casette tapes that had unwound, the edges from old tractor-feed printer paper. That I think was instinct about snakes. We first discovered that one when a piece of sphaghetti dropped on her as my brother was cleaning out the pot. Poor cat took off in a blind run, puffed out to twice normal size.
My current cat Dancer was frightened of a wooden snake that we have. It's kinda jointed so that its movement is very realistic. Now she just whacks it if she sees it.

I just realized that since the weather is nice, that laundry line is going to have lots of flapping things on it. Can't wait until there are sheets out there.

Old April 20th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Boss-lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Boo attacks snowmen.. I feel so sorry for the little kids who make them... He just plows into them with his claws out. Maybe that's the secret pointer slogan? "Death to all snowmen!"
Poor kiddies! But good for Boo and Simon, ridding the world of Killer Mutant Snow Goons. Can't be too careful about them...

Old April 20th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Personal servant to Joey

When the teachers were striking at my kids school they were all picketing up and down the street with those big square signs that hang on the back and the front of the picketers.

Joey does this walk everyday and never pays attention to anyone and walks by lots of people - something about the signs though freaked him out - he barked liked crazy at them. Some sort of alien race he probably thought.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Bailey,my walking-companion,comes to an absolute stand-still if we meet a mail-person on the road,she's terrified and growls...she also went in to a complete panic-attack mode,seeing a blown-up plastic Snowman at a house this winter,she was ready to attack and a man carrying a garbage-bag,turned her in to a little she-devil....this adorable little Cocker
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:58 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryker
Poor kiddies! But good for Boo and Simon, ridding the world of Killer Mutant Snow Goons. Can't be too careful about them...

hahah now I'll have that fun image in my brain all day, thanks Skryker!!! and yeah, pointers are potentially peculiar in their pecadillos :P

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:09 AM
owned by Tucker

Tucker was barking well more like a woooooo sound, this weekend at a wild rabbit. The rabbit just kind on sat there and Tucker went on for about 5 min, I guess he was trying to scare the Easter bunny away. No wonder I didn't get any chocolates.
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

In my garage I have the costume that goes with my company for store openings and stuff like that. It's one of those costumes with the big hard plastic head and the normal body. Well everytime she goes in the garage she stops dead, hair goes up on her back and she starts growling then goes into a bark and starts jumping up and down to try to scare the costume away. She doesn't realize it's not real and there is no one in there.
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:00 PM
-

The first week I had Declan we were walking home late one night down a path that runs along a park when all of a sudden he LUNGES and PULLLLS, giving out those big WOOF WOOF barks..my eyes are straining to see what it is...then he stops dead in his tracks, looks up at me sideways - and I swear he gave me a sheepish grin "Oh, yeah - I knew it was a tree stump..I just wanted to make sure IT knew it was tree stump".

Ah Declan ...my little 130 pounds of pure zoodlehead.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Boss-lady!

Thanks everyone, for sharing stories of your dog's inexplicable fear/hatred of goofy things. I love it! They are such goobers sometimes, and praise be for it! They just make my day. :love:

Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
-

My Sam (all 103 pounds of him) is afraid of nutcracker.Not long after I got him,as soon as I craked one (nut) open,he got up,look at me with a surprise look on his face and went to hide in my bedroom,once in a while he would just look if I was still eating the evil nuts,just poking his head out of the bedroom,I would crack another one and there he goes back into hiding.Poor dog,I always wonder why is he scared of that sound?
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:01 PM

our first dog was a 65lb airedale. one night when i was alone with the kids as hubby was working out of town he thought he heard a noise downstairs and whined till i went down and check to make sure noone was trying to break in and he stayed upstairs the full time.